Menu

I got the go ahead from dh to pursue a neuro-psych eval for ds9

Soror

SAME THING with my DS.. Running to kick a ball was a bad timing issue as was hitting a ball with a bat, racquet, or catching a ball.. That was a processing speed thing with my DS.  His processing speed was slow, so it took him longer to react and his timing was off.. Goes hand-in-hand with rapid naming and being able to recall labels or names off the top of your head. ;-)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is interesting to hear that certain things are related. It makes sense that they are but with my ignorance on these issues I don't necessarily put it all together.

re: phonemic awareness He was very, very late to rhyming and knowing beginning and ending sounds but does love poetry now and seems to have a knack for such things. I taught him basic phonics and he has been learning w/ LoE this year and has been doing well learning the phonograms at this point.

That is interesting to hear that certain things are related. It makes sense that they are but with my ignorance on these issues I don't necessarily put it all together.

That's why I always think it is SO IMPORTANT for parents to get a comprehensive evaluation to know and work on improving the root causes of the problems.  It's not readily apparent that inability to kick or catch, inability to think of a name while speaking, or repetitive speech place-holding with stuttering would all relate to slow processing speeds and inability to recall information immediately.  Truly, I had no clue before we had our DS evaluated. Now, a decade later, after reading lots of other people's neuropsych reports and helping figure out what works in teaching kids, I know a lot more than the average person, but I still learn something new from just about every kid I encounter!  They are amazing little puzzles of people, and it's such a joyful thing when the puzzle comes together and learning is enabled.  :w00t:  

About the catching and kicking a ball stuff. What comes to mind for me is also the visual and motor processing glitch causing dyspraxia. Dyspraxia can show itself as overall clumsiness and becomes dysgraphia when it affects handwriting. My oldest dd was famous for falling up the stairs and I often run into things, clipping my hip on the door frame, for example. For us, it's not enough that strangers will notice, but it's there. 

SAME THING with my DS.. Running to kick a ball was a bad timing issue as was hitting a ball with a bat, racquet, or catching a ball.. That was a processing speed thing with my DS.  His processing speed was slow, so it took him longer to react and his timing was off.. Goes hand-in-hand with rapid naming and being able to recall labels or names off the top of your head. ;-)

Yes, this. The processing speed has been an issue in catching a ball and batting in baseball. It has gotten better with practice, but it is all related.

I have never been very coordinated, either.  Wonder what my issue is? :)  In High school I could NEVER run very fast, but I had friends that would slow down so I wouldn't be alone.  In volleyball the one time I managed to hit the ball over the net the opposing team was so certain I wouldn't that no one moved to hit it.  They just stood there in shock as it went over.  The embarrassing part was the stupid trampoline, though.  They had to get extra spotters every time I got on the trampoline because I nearly always fell off or launched off, and sometimes took the other students out with me.  It was bad enough that they had me do some special "tests" where I had to balance on one foot, rapidly trace a star pattern between two lines, jog in a circle within a certain time frame without stepping outside the lines, etc....and they made me do it in front of my class.  I was so nervous and stressed I couldn't concentrate and flunked every test.  I don't recall any follow up after that, though, so what was the point?  

Thankfully, I had some really awesome friends and we all just laughed about it afterwards.  I ignored the comments from others.

I have never been very coordinated, either.  Wonder what my issue is? :)  In High school I could NEVER run very fast, but I had friends that would slow down so I wouldn't be alone.  In volleyball the one time I managed to hit the ball over the net the opposing team was so certain I wouldn't that no one moved to hit it.  They just stood there in shock as it went over.  The embarrassing part was the stupid trampoline, though.  They had to get extra spotters every time I got on the trampoline because I nearly always fell off or launched off, and sometimes took the other students out with me.  It was bad enough that they had me do some special "tests" where I had to balance on one foot, rapidly trace a star pattern between two lines, jog in a circle within a certain time frame without stepping outside the lines, etc....and they made me do it in front of my class.  I was so nervous and stressed I couldn't concentrate and flunked every test.  I don't recall any follow up after that, though, so what was the point?  

Thankfully, I had some really awesome friends and we all just laughed about it afterwards.  I ignored the comments from others.

Now, that makes me really angry that they would do that. What were they thinking?!!

If it makes you feel any better, I was usually one of the last ones picked for teams. When I think about it, I can't imagine how those masochistic PE teachers let that happen to the same kids day after day. It's as though someone spent time thinking up a system to make someone feel awful again and again.

Hmm, well I run into things a lot. It drives my husband crazy as we seem to be a family of clumsy people. Someone spills or tips a plate at least daily. Ds is much improved w/ his hand eye coordination. I think he is fairly normal itr now but there are still things here and there. Dh thinks he is clumsier than usual but I don't think it is noticeable on to others at this point. Both dh and I loathed things like sports and dancing.

I just remembered that I had a psychologist that I knew casually tell me that ds was add when he was about 4. The guy didn't work w/ young kids though and ds' behavior improved drastically after changing his diet(we went gf/cf/Feingold).

I do have to redirect him quite frequently but I don't know if it is more than usual it seems every mom complains about that. He is always thinking about something and asking me random questions and I hate not answering good questions so I find myself in the middle of answering his questions and realizing he's distracted us both again for the 20th time! He just seems that he cannot turn his brain off from everything else.

You know I realized today something I've said so many times that has probably been really hurtful :( I don't know how many times I've said this should have taken 5 minutes and instead it has taken 20 min or 40 min or 1 hr. Not that it is always like that mind you but that is really not helpful. He is a hard worker and we are generally able to get our work done in a reasonable time. I'm usually able to keep him fairly on task, assuming I'm staying focused if I'm not there to keep him focused then it generally doesn't work at all but yet again I don't know that that is all that unusual.

I got a couple emails back today from different groups but so far I haven't really received any helpful info irt testing.

I buy dishes in bulk from yardsales and just pretend that my mismatched sets are part of my eclectic style :)

I sent another email to the psych specifically telling him what I suspected and asking about his testing for learning challenges. I told him it seemed that he primarily served the gifted market looking to gain admission to gifted schools and that I am looking for info to help me as a teacher, not just a list of numbers but specific details as to his strengths and weaknesses and what I can do as a teacher to help him- I tried to word it as diplomatically as possible while being very upfront.

I buy dishes in bulk from yardsales and just pretend that my mismatched sets are part of my eclectic style :)

I sent another email to the psych specifically telling him what I suspected and asking about his testing for learning challenges. I told him it seemed that he primarily served the gifted market looking to gain admission to gifted schools and that I am looking for info to help me as a teacher, not just a list of numbers but specific details as to his strengths and weaknesses and what I can do as a teacher to help him- I tried to word it as diplomatically as possible while being very upfront.

I think this sounds great. It's good to be upfront. Sooner or later I think you'll find he right person and it might just be someone who responds very enthusiastically to the intentions you express here.

Dh suggested getting me plates for Christmas and me getting him cutlery. Besides breaking things, a lot of cutlery is missing. It could be the kids taking it outside but I've also caught myself throwing away spoons and forks, so there were probably times I didn't catch myself. In any case, I found the idea of plates and cutlery for Christmas very depressing and told him so.  

Our psychologist works with 2e kids. She starts with the WISC and Woodcock Johnson. Then, as she goes through the history, the test results, lots of discussion with parents, she adds in other tests and screenings (or sends us to someone who will/can do them). You might keep that in mind as you ask questions and figure out whether this psychologist will be a good fit.

Hmm, well color me surprised my dd who turns 4 in a few weeks started saying the alphabet and I asked her if she could sing it, she said it all perfectly.  She has several times surprised me by doing things that I didn't know she knew.  Crazy.  I don't do pre-k, well other than osmosis and even then the alphabet song is just not something I really do as I'm just doing phonograms w/ the older ones.  What a crazy day my nearly 4 yo can do what my 9 yo cannot.  What a striking difference.  

Wow, thanks Elizabeth for all that info. Thank you ladies so much for talking this out with me. You are really helping me to think about the various things that I might not have thought about being related and throwing out various names that I hadn't heard yet. I don't have plans to go to the ped, I just planned to go straight to the psych.

Perhaps you are right Elizabeth on the psych- I guess we'll see, hopefully I will get a quiet moment to call today because the other recommendations I found are just numbers. I'm already a bit frustrated, the emails I sent out soliciting referrals from some other hs groups seemed to totally not understand what I was talking about at all, one lady said that it's normal for kids not to read until they are 12 and another sent me Cathy Duffy's book so I can figure out how to teach him. I've mentioned concerns to my mom and she just goes on about how bright he is. It is funny I think she only sees the bright side and dh's parents only see his struggles. It seems that it is just hard for people to see both together. Ugh.

I definitely want to make sure I get someone good. I'm not going to see anyone until I feel confident that they can help us. My thought was to do the psych first and then see what if any other evals or therapies they might suggest. I'm really flying blind and I want to have more info before I move forward.

I thought of a few more unrelated (or not)issues:

-needs less sleep than others and always has

-he needs more food than the average kid, he literally eats as much or more than dh and me

-seems to have an unbelievably strong immune system, rarely, rarely gets sick and if he does he just sleeps for a day and its gone-preceding an illness he will just be a total jerk though but of course I don't realize this until I'm looking back, although I'm trying to be more astute!

-on the inability to feel pain- when he was under 2 on the playground a lady mentioned she thought ds had gotten stung and dh was like no he's not acting like it but then later he seen ds shake his hand and sure enough there was a big red welt on it, he never did cry or such------ a few yrs ago he got the stomach flu in the middle of the night but he never came and told me. I went back to his room to get him something and found puke all in his bed. I don't know if he didn't wake up or just didn't think to get us or what.

-during a typical meal he will get up about 20 times. I always thought that was a deficit in my discipline but my girls sit just fine. He does sit ok at times- like in church he can make it through ok- although it was very rough until 4 and when we changed the diet.

-he was on the early end of gross motor skills like crawling-6mo and walking 10mo- climbing well before a year(just like my current baby heaven help me)---we went to a rock climbing place the other day for the first time and ds was shooting right up on the first try even on the harder ones he tried(I heard a mom of another boy there saying he must have had a lot of practice), he potty trained around 2, one day he just pushed me out of the room and shut the door- I opened the door and he had climbed on the toilet and was going poop and then proceeded to get down and work on wiping his own butt-he's very independent but then again most of mine are- I don't know how much of that is how I have raised them

-he has always been on the small side-although this last year he has really shot up in height- but he's always been incredibly strong for his size, dh and I have both seen him lift and carry things that kids twice his size cannot

-he was always behind on fine motor skills- except building w/ legos and figuring out child safety locks, which he did from a young age

The info on dyspraxia is very interesting a lot of that fits ds too but he certainly didn't crawl late. He does have problems w/ scissors and coloring. He did have issues w/ buttons and tying his shoes but does so ok now. He is certainly a fidget-er and has trouble focusing and concentrating(at times). It does seem to often take him longer to learn new tasks or then again some things he just learns without any work. Copying is hard. Yes he bumps into things, mentioned that one already. He does ok now w/ kicking and catching a ball-we've played frisbee a ton. He seems to join in games w/ others just fine but then again they are usually just playing made of games we don't do a lot of regular sports. I seen in the article that it says the kid who plays HP has dyspraxia if this is an issue he will find that inspiring, he loves HP.

from this article:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/151951.php

Early childhood

Later on the following difficulties may become apparent:

Problems performing subtle movements, such as tying shoelaces, doing up buttons and zips, using cutlery, handwriting.

Many will have difficulties getting dressed.

Problems carrying out playground movements, such as jumping, playing hopscotch, catching a ball, kicking a ball, hopping, and skipping.

Problems with classroom movements, such as using scissors, coloring, drawing, playing jig-saw games.

Problems processing thoughts.

Difficulties with concentration. Children with dyspraxia commonly find it hard to focus on one thing for long.

The child finds it harder than other kids to join in playground games.

The child will fidget more than other children.

Some find it hard to go up and down stairs.

A higher tendency to bump into things, to fall over, and to drop things.

Difficulty in learning new skills - while other children may do this automatically, a child with dyspraxia takes longer. Encouragement and practice help enormously.

Writing stories can be much more challenging for a child with dyspraxia, as can copying from a blackboard.

The info on dyspraxia is very interesting a lot of that fits ds too but he certainly didn't crawl late. He does have problems w/ scissors and coloring. He did have issues w/ buttons and tying his shoes but does so ok now. He is certainly a fidget-er and has trouble focusing and concentrating(at times). It does seem to often take him longer to learn new tasks or then again some things he just learns without any work. Copying is hard. Yes he bumps into things, mentioned that one already. He does ok now w/ kicking and catching a ball-we've played frisbee a ton. He seems to join in games w/ others just fine but then again they are usually just playing made of games we don't do a lot of regular sports. I seen in the article that it says the kid who plays HP has dyspraxia if this is an issue he will find that inspiring, he loves HP.

from this article:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/151951.php

My dd who has had the most obvious sensory issues was my earliest walker at 10 months. For her it's definitely the fine motor skills that are more affected. I'd say that's true for two of my four. When this dd's vertebrae slipped, her nerve roots were compressed and she did have pain in her legs. Once an orthopedist pointed out to me how her back was badly in spasm and that she should feel pain, but she didn't. She is also very tough when she is sick and has put the rest of us to shame.  But always consider her hypersensitive because that's how it shows day to day.

Still the OT evals can help.  If his sensory is that off, there can be praxis (dyspraxia, affected movement), low tone, and also things you don't expect like not realizing how he feels in order to interpret it correctly.  So you can have behavior coming out and he may not realize what he's feeling, which can lead to difficulties.  I've started making a serious effort to help my ds slow down and put feelings into words.  I can't even tell fatigue from a headache.  I actually ask dd, because she can look at me and tell which it is.  You'll get oddities like me napping in the middle of the day when it's really a headache and taking aspirin at night when I should be going to bed.  To me they feel one in the same.  I don't even remember if any of that applies to you, but I'm just saying an OT eval can be VERY enlightening when your kid has sensory issues.  For us, it was almost this sort of spiritual experience, because you have so many odd things happen that you don't know how to interpret.  For us, an OT eval was part of coming to understand things and I HIGHLY recommend them when you find a good OT who really gets sensory.

Btw, ask the prospective psych what OT he refers people to or which OTs refer people to him.  That will tell you an AWFUL LOT.  

Yes, I remember the OT working with dd to recognize how she's feeling. Is her motor running? There was some talk about trying to get to an alert state, not zoning out and not hyper, but I don't remember if we were taught anything practical about how to do that. Maybe through getting enough of the right kind of sensory input?

When I'm home and I feel tired, I usually feel it. But when I'm out and there's noise and lights around me, I don't get that same tired feeling, I usually start to feel sick. 

I'm already a bit frustrated, the emails I sent out soliciting referrals from some other hs groups seemed to totally not understand what I was talking about at all, one lady said that it's normal for kids not to read until they are 12 and another sent me Cathy Duffy's book so I can figure out how to teach him.

It isn't unusual AT ALL for other homeschooling parents to totally be unable to understand what you're talking about because most parents have little to no experience with complex learning disabilities combined with giftedness. 

Didn't you say you joined the Learning Abled Kids' group?  I haven't seen an inquiry come through there, so I wondered if you had sent one through the group and the group isn't working right.  The LAKids group has been quiet since it was changed over to the new Yahoo neo groups.. I think the "neo"-ness of it is killing conversation, but that's a whole different matter! ;-)

The group is ENTIRELY homeschooling parents who have children with LD issues of all kinds.  There are a lot of single disability groups--like for dyslexia, or other singular conditions, but the more complex kids don't fall nicely into one box.  The LAK group has a myriad of complex kids and I can guaranty NOBODY is going to tell you it's "normal" for a kid to be unable to read until 12.. The LAK group is all about finding learning solutions and you are more likely to find someone who can make a referral to a good evaluator or tell you who to avoid as a bad evaluator, particularly if you are near any sizeable city. 

I *thought* I joined the group, I thought perhaps it just took awhile to get an email. It was giving me fits when I was trying to type in the info, I'll try again. The new yahoo groups are driving me nuts as well. I just sent another request and it said it is pending this time.

I'm about 2 hrs away from a large city so surely there is someone there. I was just getting on to look up one of the numbers I seen yesterday, the baby is still asleep so I thought I'd try to call.

Hmm, well I run into things a lot. It drives my husband crazy as we seem to be a family of clumsy people. Someone spills or tips a plate at least daily. Ds is much improved w/ his hand eye coordination. I think he is fairly normal itr now but there are still things here and there. Dh thinks he is clumsier than usual but I don't think it is noticeable on to others at this point. Both dh and I loathed things like sports and dancing.

I just remembered that I had a psychologist that I knew casually tell me that ds was add when he was about 4. The guy didn't work w/ young kids though and ds' behavior improved drastically after changing his diet(we went gf/cf/Feingold).

I do have to redirect him quite frequently but I don't know if it is more than usual it seems every mom complains about that. He is always thinking about something and asking me random questions and I hate not answering good questions so I find myself in the middle of answering his questions and realizing he's distracted us both again for the 20th time! He just seems that he cannot turn his brain off from everything else.

You know I realized today something I've said so many times that has probably been really hurtful :( I don't know how many times I've said this should have taken 5 minutes and instead it has taken 20 min or 40 min or 1 hr. Not that it is always like that mind you but that is really not helpful. He is a hard worker and we are generally able to get our work done in a reasonable time. I'm usually able to keep him fairly on task, assuming I'm staying focused if I'm not there to keep him focused then it generally doesn't work at all but yet again I don't know that that is all that unusual.

I got a couple emails back today from different groups but so far I haven't really received any helpful info irt testing.

What is gf/cf and feingold?  

gf/cf -gluten free and casein free- Feingold is a VERY strict dye and preservative free diet that is also low salicylates (at least at the onset)

We've continued to be gf but added dairy back in the last year and although we're generally dye and preservative free we are not strictly so.

I'm already a bit frustrated, the emails I sent out soliciting referrals from some other hs groups seemed to totally not understand what I was talking about at all, one lady said that it's normal for kids not to read until they are 12 and another sent me Cathy Duffy's book so I can figure out how to teach him. I've mentioned concerns to my mom and she just goes on about how bright he is. It is funny I think she only sees the bright side and dh's parents only see his struggles. It seems that it is just hard for people to see both together. Ugh.

Unfortunately, I think HS groups are not always supportive of these things. It's best to be "normal" in some of these groups. And family members...sigh. My mom was really supportive, but I'll never forget the day we were at their house (they live far away), and on day #5, the boy we knew from home got out of bed. Within two hours, she was apologizing for minimizing my frustrations and concerns (again, she was really supportive compared to everyone else). It's really hard to see if you don't live with it. My SIL has been amazing. She struggled with unidentified dyslexia, probably stealth dyslexia since she was a good and avid reader, and she has encouraged us through the whole process of figuring our boy out. I think that whole side of the family is undiagnosed 2e (several flavors of it!), but some of the other family members aren't really on board with evaluation.

If it helps give you some perspective on the uneven motor skills, my son has some gross motor problems, but it's more like he has to get the motor movements right a few times with some help, and then it "clicks." Without specific guidance, he doesn't seem to pick up the skills like other kids do. Most of his gross motor troubles are related to sports, not things like riding a bike. He had some trouble with throwing and catching, but he seems to think that's better since doing some vision therapy. He had very mild and mostly asymptomatic convergence insufficiency. We did minor therapy at home, and it clicked really fast. Fine motor skills are overall poor, but they mostly show up when he's using tools (scissors, utensils, etc.). If he's using his fingers themselves, he does much better. He never skipped milestones (although he didn't really sit much--he squatted unless he was in a chair), and he reached them all quite early. We didn't pick up on the fine motor problems at first because he has some really good fine motor skills also--he learned to knit at four.

Dr. is committed to help you and your family members find pathways to success and happiness through comprehensive developmental assessments, psychological and neuropsychological assessments, psychotherapy, parent/family coaching, and COGMEDTM. You can read more about each by clicking on the appropriate link. Most people initially come to the clinic for a thorough diagnostic assessment. In order to know what interventions or treatments to pursue, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the source of current difficulties as well as personal strengths. This is best achieved through a holistic individually designed assessment based on a deep understanding of personal development, history and current struggles. Dr. specializes in this kind of in depth assessment.

Psychological and Neuropsychological Assessments

Psychological and neuropsychological assessment is the most comprehensive way to diagnose ADD/ADHD, Executive Functioning Difficulties, Autism, learning disabilities (LD), anxieties, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), depression, and other developmental, emotional, intellectual, or academic challenges. Treatment flows naturally from an understanding of strengths and weaknesses that are uncovered in such an assessment. In order to know what interventions to pursue, a formal assessment is the most important step one can take. This type of assessment is often used for diagnostic determinations, qualifications for services, exceptional student education and to provide necessary documentation for accommodations in school and on standardized tests (e.g. SAT. ACT, GRE). Dr. Aviv also conducts evaluations for IQ assessment/evaluation of gifted students.

If you are not sure whether your child needs an assessment, consider whether you following questions apply to your child:

Does life feel harder for your child than you think it should?

Does your child struggle and get frustrated at school?

Does your child have difficulty getting along with friends and family?

Do you find yourself making too many excuses for your childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s behavior?

Is your child as happy as you think he/she should be?

What Does Assessment Involve?

A psychological evaluation is a process of gathering information using specific tests, interviews, review of records, consultation with other professionals (e.g., psychologists, psychiatrists, teachers), and direct observations (for example, a child may be observed in classroom settings). All of this information is then integrated in order to answer questions about an individualĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s skills, functioning, emotions, and behavior.

Psychological assessment can also clarify treatment strategies and interventions when complaints may not meet full diagnostic criteria but clearly lead to difficulties in functioning at full potential at school, work, or in interpersonal relationships and other social interactions. Testing also provides a better understanding of a person's behavior and learning in school, at home, and in the community. When we know what a child can or cannot control in their behavior or achievement, we are then in a position to empathically intervene and avoid identifying the child as being willful, malicious and/or lazy, labels often applied to children with diagnosable conditions that when accurately identified can be addressed with targeted interventions.

What Questions can a Psychological Evaluation Answer?

Does this individual have a Learning Disability (LD)?

Does this person have Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)?

Is this person gifted?

Is this person experiencing a psychological disorder, such as depression or anxiety?

What are this personĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s cognitive and academic strengths and weaknesses?

What are this personĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s interpersonal strengths and weaknesses?

How does this person process information and learn information best?

What are the specific characteristics of this personĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s strengths and weaknesses and what individualized treatment plan will be most effective?

How can a complex set of difficulties that may include cognitive concerns, academic problems, emotional symptoms, and/or medical issues be clarified such that appropriate recommendations can be made and then prioritized?

Why Should The Assessment Be Conducted By A Clinical Psychologist/Neuropsychologist?

Clinical psychologists are specifically trained to administer and interpret testing data, and to integrate this data with a thorough developmental history in order to arrive at a diagnostic conclusion. Different childhood disorders result in specific patterns of strengths and weaknesses. These profiles can help identify a child's disorder and the brain areas that may be involved. For example, testing can help differentiate whether a language delay is due to a problem in producing speech, understanding or expressing language, social shyness, autism, or cognitive delay.

In most states, calling an assessment a psychological assessment or neuropsychological assessment is limited to licensed psychologists. Sometimes unlicensed providers or individuals who may not be specifically trained as rigorously as neuropsychologists may call their assessment reports by other names.

What is Pediatric Neuropsychology?

Pediatric neuropsychology is a specialty that focuses on the relationship between brain function and expressed behavior within the context of a childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s neurodevelopment. A pediatric neuropsychologist is a licensed psychologist with specialized training and certification in how learning and behavior are associated with the development of brain structures and pathway systems. The field shares a knowledge base with other professions. A child or pediatric neuropsychologist may work with other pediatric specialists in behavioral neurology, developmental pediatrics, pediatric neurology, child psychiatry, pediatricians, occupational therapists and speech and language therapists.

It is also important to note that pediatric neuropsychology is not a simple downward extension of adult neuropsychology, but involves an understanding of normal and abnormal child development and learning, developmental motor skills, and language disorders as well as diseases associated with children. Since childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s skills go through periods of rapid change, and they are faced with increasing cognitive and academic demands with each passing year, there is often a need to conduct periodic re-assessments. Some conditions may not reveal their full impact until later years, such as with the multi-tasking demands of middle school, or the increased volume of work and writing demands of high school.

Pediatric Neuropsychologists can also use testing to obtain a baseline against which to measure the outcome of treatment (e.g. TOVA testing to determine the efficacy of ADHD medication) or map a child's development over time.

What Should A Thorough Pediatric Neuropsychological Assessment Include?

Diagnostic interview with parents

Review of the childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s academic and medical records

Intellectual strengths and weaknesses

Academic skills

Executive Functions (i.e., organization, planning, inhibition, and mental flexibility)

Attention variables (Inhibition, Hyperactivity, Impulsivity)

Learning and memory

Language

Visual and spatial abilities

Motor and sensory abilities

Developmental from gestation to the childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s current age

Behavioral and emotional functioning

Social skills

Feedback session and comprehensive written report

Each childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s and problem solving behavior during assessment is very closely observed. This Ă¢â‚¬ËœqualitativeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ analysis helps to fully understand and explain the statistical Ă¢â‚¬ËœquantitativeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ data obtained through standardized testing. For example, it is often more important to understand how a child missed a testing item than only relying on the outcome score. A childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s motivation, cooperation, effort, and behavior can positively or negatively affect testing outcomes.

I found another dr and this is from her site, I found her while searching for my state dyslexia assoc. She is putting on a workshop about assessment in a couple of weeks. She is going to be going over the different types of tests and how to interpret the results.

I found another dr and this is from her site, I found her while searching for my state dyslexia assoc. She is putting on a workshop about assessment in a couple of weeks. She is going to be going over the different types of tests and how to interpret the results.

Now THIS sounds like a thorough doctor!

Thought .. Have you looked on Yahoo for any local "special education" support groups?  The vast majority of the issues in your group won't apply to you since you're not trying to force a school to teach a child or teach the child correctly.. However, If you join some of those groups, you can search for the doctor or just flat out ask if anyone has experience with each or any one of the doctors you've found.  Other people's opinions can be eye-opening and helpful.

That said, if marketing is a true and accurate sign, this is the best sounding doctor yet. ;-)

I read this whole thread.
I have my own doubts?? I am not sure if I need to go for any learning disabilities check done for my son(7 yrs old,would be 8 in 2/14).
After reading all the posts in this thread, I feel few of them similar to how he is....
OR maybe I am just worrying too. Since most of you have told to get a kid evaluated which is best to know the child's issues which we think it might be normal or some strong points too.
I had raised this once with my DH and he tells I worry a lot and someone told us that going to psychiatric would be a black spot in his life.

To start off, I am not sure who to contact first.To even go to that far, I am not sure if my son falls in that zone.
He is good boy(which all mom's feel for their kids)he is good at math. His reading is OK...He has improved in his AR reading level from 2.6 to 3.0 in 2.5 months of school. But refuses to read at home and most of the times skips/swallows any word which is difficult in pronunciation.
He can remember names well. He does get confused with the sounds of j and g(juice as mentioned) but eventually get it right after repeated asking him to sound. His writing is good but when he wants to write a story kind..initially his writing is very neat and by the time he reaches the end..its not very neat when compared to start, but still readable(lots of spelling mistakes though)

He is pretty active boy,plays most of the time and he goes to soccer. He likes playing  soccer but is afraid if the ball comes and hits him in face or chest(he has seen few of this team mates hurt) This is one reason he is always in the group but never tries to kick the ball first. (we don't practice much, its only one practice session and one game session in a week from the team, which last for 3 months the rest 9 months no much soccer at all)

Most of the time, I see he doesn't look in the eyes when talking(for that matter even I have the same problem)I just cant look into someone's eyes and talk for a long time,maybe for few seconds. There are few people whom I totally avoid looking into their eyes, I am basically scared.

As I mentioned earlier, we don't talk English at home and we talk 2 languages (me and DH lang1, grandparents lang2) Its been 7 years that he is growing with lang1 all of the time(at least at home). He still doesn't get the words properly now. At times he mixes few words from lang2 also.
When he has to talk...he tries to use Eng a lot since he is going to school now. Earlier his lang1(when no exposure to ENg) was not great even at age 4. Most of our friends couldn't understand what he spoke even though they knew the lang1.
He cant sit in a place for long time. His teacher also told that he is carried off in his own world most the time during the class. It happens to him at home too.But can sit for hrs together if he likes to something like lego, knex etc..
Long drives are also very bad with him, he gets frustrated after 1.5 or 2hrs. his sister who is 5 yrs old doesn't mind.
I am just giving most details which I think should be know so that anyone can recommend exactly as what I need to do.So may need more practice like soccer.Does he have any learning disabilities which I might not be aware.
Or as my DH said I am worrying too much for him.

Please advice and thanks for all your help.

Elizabeth- my son is not doing VT I had him evaluated last year or the year before by a COVD and she didn't find any concerns.

kbutton it is interesting reading about your son, my ds didn't have an issue w/ riding a bike either but as you said he isn't the best w/ tools like scissors. It wouldn't surprise me if my dh was 2E he did wretched in school but is super smart and didn't really bloom until after he was out. He definitely doesn't think like the average person, already ds and him have conversations about various engineering things that I cannot follow.

I don't plan on telling dh's side of the family about any testing until perhaps afterwards. They don't harass me about hs'ing but it feels more like a silent disapproval. They've made comments through the years about ds' trouble w/ right/left, forgeting names etc but have never acknowledged his success now. I even try to brag to them about how well he is reading and such but they just ignore me. Dh has a ton of family members in the school district though, so it is what it is.

I heard back again from NP #1, although he says that he thinks he can provide what I need his lack of specificity makes me doubtful. I haven't heard back from the 2nd lady I called and I left a message with another NP today. I'm strongly considering attending an event by the NP mentioned earlier who had all the info I posted above. She is one I haven't called yet. It seems there are several in the city and I've yet to get the same rec twice. The 2nd lady I called has had the best reviews that I can find.

I do primarily assess children for eligibility for gifted identification. But I also evaluate gifted children who are underachieving in school, in order to diagnose the weaknesses (dysfunctions/disabilities) that are underlying their underachievement. I have also reevaluated children who have not initially met the school's/district's Special Ed criteria for services. As I mentioned in the previous email, my expertise is in making clinical observations which are key to any diagnosis. If your child meets the specific criteria for dyslexia I will indicate that in my report. However if such a specific diagnosis is indicated there likely are broader dysfunctions/disabilities that are also present. Generally it is these broader issues that the Special School District uses to provide services.

You may not ever intend to utilize Special School District services but should that change you would need/want a report that would help provide those services. I believe that I can provide the assessment and comprehensive report that you are seeking. Since my recommendations might include seeking third party assistance/intervention (e.g. tutoring from Miriam School or St Louis Learning Disabilities Association) you might want to have the evaluation done by the party that might provide academic resources in the future. So you may want to contact either or both to inquire about their services.

I hope this provides the clarification that you are seeking. I might also mention that I serve on the advisory Board for M. School both as a disclaimer and as an indication of my ability to understand the weaknesses and disabilities of children.

Well, I just received 2 calls back. I was not impressed w/ the first at all, or at least with the info that the receptionist could provide and evidently I only get to talk to the rec. before making an appt. which costs $1600-$1800. The second was the very informative one posted about earlier. I made an intake appt w/ her. It is for next Fri. and then his appt should be within a few weeks or so. The testing is scheduled for all day- about 6 hrs then a week or so later I will come back to go over the results, which is scheduled for about 90 minutes. She seemed very familiar w/ the hs population and talked about giving very specific recommendations based on what he needs. This one charges $2200 but is evidently the only actual board certified pediatric neuropsychologist in the state.

It sounds like the appt. you booked, soror, will be a good choice. I thought the write up sounded similar to the service we received and what I would want for someone else. On the one you booked, did you talk to a receptionist or to the neuropsych? Our neuropsych did the intake appt. a few weeks before the actual test date. It was stated up front that it was not only for him to get information on our son and our family but also that it was a chance to get to know him. If we didn't think after the intake appt. that he was the right person, we were only liable for that hour and could cancel the testing without repercussions.

Yes, I got to talk the NP, the first is the intake appt. and I have to fill out 3 long forms before even coming to it. Then we have the 6ish hr eval a week or two later and then the 90 min appt a week or so later to go over her recs and the results. We have a fee for the intake and then the rest when we do the actual eval.

Bumping for good thoughts and prayers for the intake eval today. I'm very, very nervous. What if I'm right? What if I'm wrong? What if she is not the right one to do the evaluating?

I told ds that we were going to do some testing to find out more how his brain works so I can be a better teacher. He's very excited and was disappointed that he doesn't get to take any tests this visits.

I told ds that we were going to do some testing to find out more how his brain works so I can be a better teacher. He's very excited and was disappointed that he doesn't get to take any tests this visits.

EXCELLENT job there!! My DS was very relieved to find out he had severe dyslexia and even more so.. that he is NOT in any way "dumb".  For your son, having the evaluation and finding out his cognitive strengths can help with self-image a great deal.  GOOD LUCK! Will say a prayer for you, your son, and your evaluator for a GREAT, insightful outcome! :-D

Well, I'm back. Where to start, she seems very adept at what she does, personality wise she was very clinical. She didn't tell me much so far but that he seemed to be having some learning difficulties and that she thought it would be a pretty straight forward evaluation, when I asked her what that meant she just said that it doesn't see signs of autism/asperger's/cerebral palsy etc which would require more testing. She also said she suspected attention issues but she was fairly tight lipped about anything as she says she is a clinician that bases her reports on the facts and that she cannot give anything concrete until she has all the info.

I did have to ask her if she thought that his info warranted evaluation and she said that his info was very typical for what she sees and that also his behavior as a baby was typical as well. I asked her about vision issues and she talked about Vision Therapy and such and told me that she has 2 different COVD Dr's that she refers people to that do very thorough evaluations if she feels that it is warranted.

I talked to her about meds for adhd and she seemed very much of the opinion that it is up to the parents BUT seems to personally favor meds. She said that if testing shows that he is adhd and that his presentation is of the type that is usually helped by meds that she would certainly recommend them but that it was ultimately our decision. I mentioned Feingold and she was familiar with it and said that certainly if we had good results prior that she would recommend that. I had toyed w/ the idea of going back to Feingold as it seems behaviors had deteriorated some lately but I figure it best not to do any big changes before testing.

I asked her about the reports and she said that they are typically 20-25 pages long and that she breaks down the information in ways that is helpful with specific recommendations, not a bunch of 'psychobabble.' She evidently even makes curriculum recommendations.

So, she seemed very competent and exactly what I need/want. We do testing next Fri and Sat as she didn't think he could do it all at one time. Then she will write her report and I'll receive it in another 2-3 weeks and dh and I will come up there for her to explain her findings.

Dh and I are to fill out a BASC-2 form and a EF form, we have 2 copies that we are to fill out separately w/out discussing it with each other. She said she is doing IQ tests, attention tests and all aspects of learning and some other things.

I was nervous. I still am to be honest. I just want it done. It is bringing up lots of emotions for me, kind of surprisingly. I want there to be some strengths in there too. I want there to be things that we can accommodate or remediate. I want info but I want hope as well.

Now, that makes me really angry that they would do that. What were they thinking?!!

If it makes you feel any better, I was usually one of the last ones picked for teams. When I think about it, I can't imagine how those masochistic PE teachers let that happen to the same kids day after day. It's as though someone spent time thinking up a system to make someone feel awful again and again.

Interestingly, I did really like my P.E. coach in High School.  He was funny, always had us in stitches, and he looked sort of like a gnome, really short and oddly shaped, but he could move like lightning.  I just think the staff were really clueless on appropriate ways and places to assess kids for issues. I don't think it was malicious (although maybe I was the clueless one :) ).

Too bad you and I weren't in school together.  We could have been picked last as a team.  :)

I agree that this sounds like a typical first meeting.  That is sound practice to not give "guesses" prior to testing. 

I understand the emotional impact of this.  I cried in the diagnostician's office after receiving my son's testing results several years ago.  However, I do not for one minute regret the knowledge that the testing gave me.  Give yourself "permission" to feel what you feel without judgment, and then you can move on to remediate.  All children have strengths and gifts, as does your son.  You likely already are aware of some of these.