Menu

Fill in the blank: An organized person...

extendedforecast

An organized person uses *systems* and *strategic thinking* to minimize her housework and cope with her own known traits and foibles.

An organized person thinks outside the box.

An organized person is not afraid to re-evaluate "the way things have always been done."

An organized person knows the difference between 'adequate' and 'ideal' -- and knows which situations call for which approach.

An organized person is dedicated to "investing significant time at the front end" to save plenty of time over the long term.

An organized person can separate "stuff" from "value."

An organized person has routines they follow, without fail, daily.  If I ignore this rule, which is my natural way, I'm in deep trouble pretty quickly.

I combat my inner slob by making lists that include even the mundane - like flossing.  Otherwise, I'd decide not to floss one day and next thing you know, it would be a week, and then I'd be toothless.

Self-discipline is key.

I was born to have servants, but that is not to be.

Mostly here to echo:

Systems that all family members understand

Fearless decluttering/minimizing

A place for every necessary thing

I would add - holding those in your household responsible for their own stuff in timely fashion rather than your "system" being to clean up after them.

I would add - holding those in your household responsible for their own stuff in timely fashion rather than your "system" being to clean up after them.

Ah, yup!  Trying to figure how to do this w/o constant nagging.

Wow, you all have given me a LOT to think about. I can easily organize things, but I don't have the self discipline to keep it organized. And more importantly, I haven't found a way to keep on top of my children that doesn't sound like nagging, because asking them to do things they agreed to or things that they know they should do, like put their plates in the sink is the end of the world. I'm tired of being the bad guy.

And I do have a system that works pretty well when I keep to it. I just tend to give up when I don't have support and it feels like me vs. them. DH is the only one who is on my team, but he works and is away most of the time. Vent over.

Wow, you all have given me a LOT to think about. I can easily organize things, but I don't have the self discipline to keep it organized. And more importantly, I haven't found a way to keep on top of my children that doesn't sound like nagging, because asking them to do things they agreed to or things that they know they should do, like put their plates in the sink is the end of the world. I'm tired of being the bad guy.

And I do have a system that works pretty well when I keep to it. I just tend to give up when I don't have support and it feels like me vs. them. DH is the only one who is on my team, but he works and is away most of the time. Vent over.

I would say that an organized person has a method for making decisions and dealing with the items connected to those decisions.

Thanks for starting this thread. We're in a similar boat here.  DH has wacko work hours that constantly change, including dramatic changes in sleep schedules. 3 of the 4 in my family have a hard time with executive functioning (okay, they actually have none).

In part because of DH's schedule (days of long shifts without time to discuss anything and then days off that may be used up changing to another sleep schedule), decisions in our house get backlogged, and then the items that go with those decisions (paperwork, things to be fixed, errands, research, etc.) start to back up. It's not as simple for us as "just getting it done." Not everyone is good at seeing what's coming down the pike, and that can become a backlog if one person is stuck dealing with the future planning alone. It's also not fun to continually be the one to point out "this problem is coming." I totally get avoidance and throwing in the towel!

We are currently hiring a sitter a couple of times per month so that we can tackle the areas that have gotten out of hand, and everyone is trying harder to deal with the everyday responsibility to pick things up (we're automating as much of this as we can with routines).