Menu

Sort of confused on what direction to go

Jpoy85

Honestly, i think for a kid with adhd and odd, the best approach would be minimalistic and engaging.  I dont know many programs, and it does depend on strengths and weaknesses - how is his handwriting?  How is his spelling? Does he like writing?  Does he HATE language arts?  3rd grade we actually used Language Smarts from Critical Thinking company, because its heavy on logic (including a few logic games here and there) and light on writing.  My son would still throw himself on the floor and cry when faced with writing 5 formulaic sentences, but enough of the book was 'fun' that i could get him to stick with it.  I also read some bravewriter, and did some silly poetry reading and some free-write, which worked for him.  We didnt start spelling until 4th, and we are using LoE - because, again, he's a logic kid.  Spelling Power didnt work for him.

For ADHD, the more active and entertaining, the better.  Often audio-visual, interactive programs can be engaging.  There are several good, free online programs for reading and math.  For writing, we found Brave Writer to be a good way to start with low-key writing.  When we started working "seriously" on writing, my guys really liked the Institute for Excellence in Writing's Student Writing Intensive programs.. That has teaching DVDs with it and short, easy daily assignments which made the day's writing assignments of short enough duration to maintain their attention.  Similarly, Math-U-See was good for the short teaching DVDs.  For reading, we used Earobics and Lexia Reading At Home but that was mostly because my guys also had dyslexia.  Basically, something that is short in duration for the teaching portion, and interactive for the practice portion I think works best for the ADHD tendencies. ;-)

Reading is 70 WCPM

Writing 65% accuracy

Math 50% accuracy

Does that help? 

Sorry to say, but those results are not meaningful as independent snippets.  What assessments were used to get those percentages?  Exactly what is being measured?

What does WCPM (? ? Per minute?) stand for? -- If it's a "per minute" thing, that would be a measure of reading fluency, which is different than decoding or comprehension.

Writing is 65% accuracy in what form? Dictation? Spelling?  Grammar? He wrote what he meant to write? ~ Not really sure what is meant by "65% accuracy" when it comes to writing.

Math at 50% accuracy-- Does that mean half of all problems are wrong? Are they simple math facts or complex problems?

Even with knowing the details of what the scores mean, they may not answer the primary question you have regarding "what would be good for Reading/Writing/Spelling for a child with ADHD/ODD?"

That said, it appears his math skills are the worst off at this moment.  For that, I'd recommend signing up for "Reflex Math" and have your son work in the program for two 20-30 minute sessions per day.. One during your regular school day and the second session just before bed.  Research shows whatever is on your mind when you go to sleep continues to be processed to some degree, which can lead to more effective learning.  That'll be a start anyway!

Ok, but here's the thing. Are you trying to raise his scores?  Or are you trying to teach him to read and to do math?  They are NOT the same thing.  With an oppositional defiant kid, just assigning a curriculum because it helps some kids who are struggling - thats not necessarily going to work.  if he doesnt buy in to it, you'll still have fights.  You cant ignore the ODD and just work with the ADHD imo

• 4 weeks later...

As for the assessments, its just what was in his IEP, I dont know exactly. Its a complicated situation, that i cant give all the details. I want to work with his ODD/ADHD and get him to a level where hes confident and can work to the best of his ability. Right now, i believe the school is trying to mold him to them, I dont want to do that. 

I'm using Bravewriter Partnership writing with my youngest who is working at that level, and I think it would be very doable and fun with even a struggling student: secret codes, homonym book, photo timeline....these aren't that writing intensive!  They're actually quite fun.

My daughter (12 now) liked ACE paces (now trying Starline Press for a secular version of the same thing).  They are also what a charter school used (possibly still using) for special ed kids....because they seemed to like the self-paced learning in them, and shorter writing requirements. This choice is more school-like, but the structure is really good for some kids!

Have you considered getting a full blown assessment through outside sources that don't look just through the lens of an IEP/504 school-type viewpoint?  If you don't have detailed answers on strengths and weaknesses, it may be very hard to truly find the right way to help your child.  Our assessment through the school was terribly lacking in the details we desperately needed and actually pushed us in the wrong direction.  Our outside assessment was much fuller and gave us lots of great jumping off points for both strengths and weaknesses.

You mention "the school" and yet you are seeking curriculum to help him.  Would this be for use after school or are you considering homeschooling him full-time or is the school just helping you out with your homeschooling situation and you want to switch from curriculum they recommended?  Or am I just totally misunderstanding?  :)