Menu

Burda style patterns, printed at copy shop?

KatieJ

My Dd was here recently and we were looking for patterns for my granddaughter. We found some Burda Style patterns, which I thought were available in the store, and whoa, they are only available to download.

Is anyone more familiar with this website than I am?

There are instructions for downloaded to a flashdrive and then having them printed at a copy shop. How expensive does that make that pattern?

Has anyone done this?

I've never used a Burda clothing pattern. I've used patterns for bags, and those I printed at home. Maybe download a free one to see how it works? http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns?difficulty=&pattern_size=&free=1

Patterns on etsy or youcanmakethis.com are downloadable, but you print them on your home printer and cut the pieces and tape them together. I loooooove these. Don't print the whole pattern, just the size pieces you need. The instructions are great too. Scientific Seamstress is one whose patterns always, always work for me. Her older stuff may be under CarlaC. She has an etsy shop too with specials. http://scientificseamstress.blogspot.com/

Check out Ottobre magazine too. These you have to trace to add your own seam allowance. (Burda patterns require that as well.) Ottobre has some fun, different designs.

http://www.ottobredesign.com/en/

Sorry if it was completely a non-answer. :)

I've just printed the Burda patterns at home.  It's pretty easy.  You're not actually using that much ink for the pattern itself since it's just a few lines per page.

More and more companies are doing this print-at-home thing.  The quality varies.  I liked that Maria Denmark made the pattern lines lighter on her stuff so you could save ink.  I also like if I can see all the pages before I start printing, so I can decide which pages I actually want to print -- sometimes I can see that I don't need certain pages.

ETA:  I think lots of their patterns on the website were originally available in their magazine.  I suppose you could hunt down the appropriate issue.  Be aware that the European sewing magazines (like Ottobre mentioned above, which really does have the cutest kids clothing patterns in the entire world, and if you're sewing for kids you really really REALLY need to look at their stuff) DO have the patterns included, but you have to trace them off, which many people consider weird.

Also, some Burda patterns ARE available in shops in the U.S. -- you can search the pre-printed line on the SImplicity website (Simplicity is the U.S. distributor).  Sometimes you'll find pre-printed patterns that are similar to the ones you're finding on the Burda Style website.

Also, when I print at home, I print onto regular printer paper, do the cut-and-tape thing, and then sometimes trace the bits I need onto something like Swedish tracing paper or Pellon Easy Pattern (typically kept with the other Pellon interfacing at places like JoAnn -- it's wider than the interfacing, so more cost-effective per square foot).  Or you could trace it onto something else.

Using regular printer paper to actually cut out a complex pattern could drive me nuts due to sensory issues.  I have large cuts of suitable tracing stuff because I use it for various things.  Swedish tracing paper or Pellon easy pattern are nice because they don't rip easily -- which means you can use the pattern practically forever -- and because they have a bit of drape so you can do pin-and-fit the pattern before you get started.  I've been known to trace regular patterns (Simplicity, Butterick, etc.) onto Pellon just so I can have the greater flexibility to mess with them.

Gail, thanks for you reply.

Actually I am very familiar with tracing patterns.  I have been using Kwik Sew for 35 years at least and I always trace off the sizes so I can reuse the pattern.  They are expensive, hard to find on sale so I like to reuse them. I have lots and lots and lots.   I use Do Sew tracing paper ( Much cheaper than the interfacing stuff...but also much thinner)

from the fabric store, or just plain old tissue paper if it's a small pattern.

ETA:  I think lots of their patterns on the website were originally available in their magazine.

Thanks for clearing that up!  I have many Burda patterns and just couldn't figure out why they had a website with patterns, but they were not in their books in stores. 

I downloaded and printed a pattern out once, and well, I apparently need to go back to Kindergarten and figure out to line up the lines.  It worked, but not my favorite thing..and then you have to trace it all off for different sizes.  Just sounded like a lot of work.  Sending it to Kinkos sounded intriqueing to me.

I will check out Ottobre again.  I sometimes look at their designs and figure out how to do that with patterns I already own.  But it's been awhile since I have checked out their website..