Menu

Spelling Program to Start With?

We use AAS and it is fabulous. I haven't tried the others on your list because we started with AAS and it works really well for us. Ds looks forward to spelling time! I suspect he is a natural speller, but he is definitely learning the rules and remembering when to apply them rather than just guessing at the spelling. One thing I really like is that you can set a time for spelling that day and not need to finish a whole lesson or page. We usually keep spelling limited to 15-20 minutes per day.

If you're starting at 5, I'd use AAS or a similar program. We love Apples and Pears, but it's too much writing for that young imo. I'm using it with a child with spelling issues because phonogram and rule based spelling wasn't a good fit for him, but we started in 3rd grade. I'm using it with a natural speller, too. But that's because he wants to do it and the dictation is helping him with attention related memory issues.  I could have used anything for spelling with him. I'm a fan of phonics based reading instruction with delayed spelling until reading is solid.

She's almost 6, and she wouldn't be using it yet. I'm purchasing her 1st grade items all at once, but I'm going to be holding off on spelling until she's done with OPGTR. I'm drawn to Apples and Pears because of the format and all of the crosswords and word finds and because AAS is more expensive than I'd like it to be, but AAS has great ratings and it's supposed to be great for a hands-on learner like my daughter. 

She's almost 6, and she wouldn't be using it yet. I'm purchasing her 1st grade items all at once, but I'm going to be holding off on spelling until she's done with OPGTR. I'm drawn to Apples and Pears because of the format and all of the crosswords and word finds and because AAS is more expensive than I'd like it to be, but AAS has great ratings and it's supposed to be great for a hands-on learner like my daughter. 

I'll be honest:  A&P isn't as FUN as it may look. :D

We like it, I think it's helpful.  But the few fun practices that are sprinkled throughout are quite small in proportion to the writing-heavy work (copying, dictation, tests)... especially once you get 30-40 pages in.

We've also used AAS (albeit briefly).  It didn't take me long to realize that my daughter could care less about RULES for spelling.  Could care less & couldn't remember them/use them to spell.  I spell by chunks and A&P made sense to me.  And since DD has struggled with reading and we use (and like) Dancing Bears, I figured -- why not? :)

We started A&P the summer when DD turned 7 (the summer before her 2nd grade year).  She was reading at a low first grade (or high Kindergarten) level.  We've done well so far, but the writing has amped up recently.  I'm finding it takes us nearly a week to get through 2 pages (and that's pushing it).  But my DD didn't write much until this year, so YMMV. :)  We're pleased with it, overall.  I don't plan to jump ship.  I've got a younger one coming up -- she may start it halfway through first (though I am also looking at BJU Spelling, which looks good too!)

I just got the book Uncovering the Logic of English, and although I was already enjoying AAS, I am now completely convinced that a Spalding or Orton-Gillingham method is a superior way to teach spelling. So, AAS or WRTR or LoE Foundations I guess, depending on whether you wanted more bells and whistles, more or less scripted, with or without handwriting and reading bundled in.

Neither of mine have ever complained about Apples and Pears. We did a full lesson daily for a while, but slowed to 1/2 a lesson a day most days now. We're in book 3. It's really not structured to be fun, but the variety in each lesson seems to make it interesting/painless enough here.

I wouldn't use it with a 1st grader, I don't think. It's just too much writing and the difficulty ramps up quickly.

If I were starting again, I would use a a rule/phonogram approach to reading (which is what I did). Then I think I would delay spelling until we could work our way into Apples and Pears. I feel I spent two years of wasted time (and money) teaching a rule based spelling program. I wouldn't do it again.