Menu

Bad mom confession

Tiramisu

I started going to Aldi and the cereal there is cheap. I purchased some "sugar cereal" and my dc are soooo much better in the mornings, happily crunching away and then starting their school work without any trouble. Isn't this terrible?!! 

Am I going to be ejected from the Hive now?

I started buying cereal for my kids years ago when I started to exercise in the morning.  Up till that point we always had a hot breakfast: pancakes, eggs, french toast, oatmeal, etc....  My girls, who are the oldest and were the most used to having that type of breakfast, complained loudly.  They especially complained to my mom, telling her that I no longer got up and gave them food, that they were on their own (ages about 11 and 7).  My mom just laughed.  I grew up on cereal.  Every day.  Mostly the sugary kind. My mom told my girls it was time they learned how to serve themselves.:D  It was funny.  They really thought grandma would take their side and tell me to start cooking again.  

Now I also buy Ego Waffles.  They are cheaper than cereal and the younger boys love them.  The older kids also know that they can cook their own breakfast, as long as they clean it up. 

Whatever works.   

My morning bad mom confession: television. I'd resisted for years and insisted that mornings set the tone for the day. Well, they did - nagging, tantrums, bickering (not just between the kids, but between DH and me, DH and kids, me and kids). A few weeks ago, DS turned on the TV and I didn't have the energy to listen to the tirade that would ensue if I turned it off. Much to my surprise, both kids quickly dressed, ate, and washed up. No arguments when it was time to switch it off and start the day. Mornings are much better at my house.

I enjoyed a bowl of fruit loops with my kiddos this morning. I myself am quite cranky if I don't have some form of protein with it but I am diabetic and shouldn't be indulging in it to begin with. Cereal is one of the few splurges I give my kids. They feed themselves in the morning, and I can mosey and sip on coffee without having to fully communicate for a while ;) We don't drink sodas and only have sweet desserts other than fruits once a week. I don't feel guilty about it.

My morning bad mom confession: television. I'd resisted for years and insisted that mornings set the tone for the day. Well, they did - nagging, tantrums, bickering (not just between the kids, but between DH and me, DH and kids, me and kids). A few weeks ago, DS turned on the TV and I didn't have the energy to listen to the tirade that would ensue if I turned it off. Much to my surprise, both kids quickly dressed, ate, and washed up. No arguments when it was time to switch it off and start the day. Mornings are much better at my house.

I allow tv or gaming until schooling starts :) I then tell them "Electronics OFF!" and they all come to the table ready to work and typically in a great mood. Electronics don't return to our household routine until all schooling is complete and chores are finished. If they finish before 5pm, they still don't get any electronics back until after dinner. If they are bored, they are welcome to do more housework or play outside. They seem to vanish when I mention I need some baseboards washed ;)

Electronics are welcomed in the mornings until it is time to get going for the day. IF we have bickering or arguing, they lose electronic privileges for the day. That happens very rarely these days. You'll hear them say "hush or mama will hear you and we will ALL suffer!" LOL

I can really relate to this. I have one dd who who really needs to be occupied or she's miserable. She is my one whom hsing did not suit at all. We have always been fairly strict about screen time. This year, however, she has moved up to middle school and there is a lot more stress on her. So we have eased up and allowed more TV. She's been so much more peaceful having it--and not only while she's watching! It doesn't affect my others so much because they have more activities and are out in the evenings, thankfully.

ETA: When I say TV I don't actually mean TV since we don't have TV service. The poor girl is stuck with whatever DVD's or old VHS tapes we have. Netflix was taken away due to fighting. 

Another bad mom here.  No sugary cereal, but I do allow screen time in the morning.  Sometimes DS takes me up on it, sometimes he does projects.  Either way, as long as he lets me have coffee while my meds kick in ... we're good.   :)

ETA: I would allow cereals if we didn't deal with allergies.  So instead it's allergy friendly waffles and other easy to fix foods - the equivalent of sugary cereal.

I gave ds1 a piece of pumpkin bread with butter for breakfast. Ds9 was on his own and I think ate a gogurt while I had my coffee. That's pretty typical for us. Some days when I'm very motivated I make oatmeal. We don't really do breakfast around here. Does that move me to the top of the bad mom list?

Count me in on the morning tv watching. I am not a morning person so when my kids wake up they crawl into bed with me and I turn on cartoons. Then I doze on and off for a while. Middle DS wakes up the earliest so he gets about an hour and the other two closer to half an hour. Not only do I need a gentle wake up, my oldest DS really does too. He can't be expected to do anything for at least a half an hour. Every once in a while he will sleep in and the rest of us will already be up eating. He just sits and stares into space for a while before he want to eat or speak. Once we get out of bed then the tv goes off and so far haven't really had to many issues with whining about it.

Count me in on the morning tv watching. I am not a morning person so when my kids wake up they crawl into bed with me and I turn on cartoons. Then I doze on and off for a while. Middle DS wakes up the earliest so he gets about an hour and the other two closer to half an hour. Not only do I need a gentle wake up, my oldest DS really does too. He can't be expected to do anything for at least a half an hour. Every once in a while he will sleep in and the rest of us will already be up eating. He just sits and stares into space for a while before he want to eat or speak. Once we get out of bed then the tv goes off and so far haven't really had to many issues with whining about it.

This sounds very lovely actually. I believe you have evolved to a higher life form. ;)

I use sugary cereal for snacks too.  Apple Jacks are soooo good without milk.  I could eat a box all by myself.  I never, ever, ever eat cereal for b'fast.  I can't handle it in the morning though.   Indy eats a tortilla wrap in the mornings.  He takes a tortilla, layers on lunchmeat (gasp!), cheese, lettuce, salsa and hot sauce (he's weird).  Han Solo eats "jelly bread" (his term for it), which is just whole grain toast that I drag a knife across barely dipped in jelly.  He sometimes eats half a banana, but usually not.

My bad parenting is that I allow TV before school and during lunch, and worst of all, I let Han Solo play on the iPad to keep him quiet while we do school and sometimes when we're at a store and he's being cranky, I'll let him play on my iPhone to keep him occupied.  The kid is a wiz at Angry Birds.

They eat cereal, even the sugary kind, about 3 days a week. Sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with breakfast and they like it. I probably make oatmeal or a simple egg or pancake breakfast 2 week days a week and 1 x a week a sit down weekend breakfast, usually Sunday. But the othe days they eat cereal and we usually hit starbucks or McDonald's (yeah, the horror) on co-op day since we have a half hour drive and leave at 9 am so they eat in the car :)

My kids don't really eat breakfast.  They don't wake up hungry and by the time they get hungry it's halfway through the morning.

Our routine for a while now has been they wake up, snuggle up on the couch under blankets, drink a Pediasure each, and watch tv.    They get about half an hour of that on weekdays before they need to start getting dressed for me to drop them at the sitters.  Weekends it lasts until they wake up enough to get on the computers.  Dd also expects Daddy to make her bacon on all days he is home in the morning.

Ditto the t.v. We've tried tv time at other times and it always equals a complete meltdown. So the morning works. We've just started a no tv the next day unless you can do your school without pitching a fit rule and that's going well too.

I haven't been buying cereal because I love love love cereal but am trying to lose weight. I will probably buy some again soon. :)

I'm not a bad mom.

I gave ds1 a piece of pumpkin bread with butter for breakfast. Ds9 was on his own and I think ate a gogurt while I had my coffee. That's pretty typical for us. Some days when I'm very motivated I make oatmeal. We don't really do breakfast around here. Does that move me to the top of the bad mom list.

Pumpkin bread is one of those foods I think of as healthy.  Don't tell me if it isn't.

My kids loved gogurt.  I thought it was a waste of money for folks who weren't going anywhere -- and that if I added a little milk to yogurt, it would be the same thing.  The kids didn't agree, so sometimes I bought gogurt.

The very fact that you can get your kids to eat oatmeal makes you a star in my eyes!  You would have thought I was feeding my kids something that belonged in a pig's trough, the way they reacted to oatmeal.

I'll "one-up" you. My kids eat cereal sometimes, and DS REFUSES to use white milk. So, if I buy him cereal (cinnamon toast crunch, or the Trader Joes equivalent), I also have to buy chocolate milk for him to eat it with!!

Now I'll one-up you!  I have a kid who is now 19 years old and perfectly healthy, who refuses to drink anything except chocolate milk.  He drinks 3 gallons a week of the stuff.  And he is thin, so I buy it in whole milk form.

He has been drinking chocolate milk since he was 2 years old.  I don't think white milk has passed his lips since then.  All because I bought it as a special treat.  He has Asperger's though, and this is one of his ruts -- things he does that he will never deviate from.

OTOH, since he was around 2 years old, his favorite veg is broccoli. That kind of makes up for the chocolate milk thing in my mind.  He eats about 4  cups a week of it.

My kids usually get to pick a show on Netflix or Amazon to watch while they eat breakfast. DH and I get up a couple of hours before them, so we can't really do a family breakfast, and I find that it keeps them occupied while I finish up all of the things I need to get done before school starts.

My bad parenting is that I allow TV before school and during lunch, and worst of all, I let Han Solo play on the iPad to keep him quiet while we do school and sometimes when we're at a store and he's being cranky, I'll let him play on my iPhone to keep him occupied. The kid is a wiz at Angry Birds.

Goodness...in my eyes you're a genius. I don't have an iphone but next time I go to the store I'm bringing my ipad to entertain my crazy 4 yo. I don't know why I didn't think of this before...instead I've suffered through years of crying, screaming bored kid when I could have plunked him in the trolley and handed him a screen.

Well no more... I might even let him snack on sugary cereal while he plays the ipad lol.

Tv is what keeps me sane in the morning!!! My children wake up at 7 and I am NOT a morning person.  They may turn the tv on that is in my room if they get up before me.  I usually wake up by 9. They know once I'm up it goes off.  Sometimes they choose the tv, other times they draw.  I'd prefer tv since I never wake up with tv all over the wall!!! But even then I'd take sleeping in with a little crayon over the wall over not sleeping in and clean walls!

My kids eat cereal. Not every day, but it's almost always here as an option.

We have a tradition of letting the boys pick "crappy cereal" and pop-tarts for their birthday breakfast (started when we were away for their birthday and the store literally did not have any other festive breakfast options, like pastry). They mostly pick Lucky Charms. It seems they don't care for the other crappy cereals. Lol.

recently I've been trying to buy organic cereal. Now ds asks for the organic cocoa puffs, lol - not sure that there's any difference in nutrition from regular. (same ds will not have any milk with it though sometimes he'll have a smoothie with yogurt, milk, protein powder and a bunch of other stuff I hide in there)

Yesterday morning we had pumpkin pie for breakfast. Yes we did :)

I had to make some for the church trunk or treat last night and thought I could get three out if the recipe. The third one really wasn't full enough and they smelled it cooking the night before and really wanted it so i said we could eat the less full ine for breakfast. I made them eat a fried egg first though.

I won't tell you that sometimes I serve apple or peach crisp for breakfast. We don't buy cereal except on birthdays but I really don't think the crisps are much worse. At least it's fruit and oatmeal ;)

My son is on a bagel kick. Lately it's been bagel and tea . . . like he's 30. Meanwhile I'm in the kitchen crunching my cinnamon life that my kids think is nasty. I don't know what happened. We're usually a smoothies and eggs family and we're on some sort of strike. The time change will NOT improve this.

My kids eat cereal every morning.  We try to buy the healthier types, and mix in the sugary ones, but I think all of them really have too much sugar.    On weekends my DH will often cook a hot breakfast, but that is the only time they get one...Unless they're at Boy Scouts, LOL.  Then they get good breakfasts -- my younger son is doing his First Class cooking this weekend, and I think he is cooking eggs and bacon one morning, and pancakes the other.

It's 9:15 am, my kids woke up at 8 am, they are watching cartoons and still in pj's. we might do school today...or not. I just noticed my son, 4, is eating potato chips for breakfast. I don't really care.

Busy week. Halloween was last night and we all need some veg out time :)

I can really relate to this. I have one dd who who really needs to be occupied or she's miserable. She is my one whom hsing did not suit at all. We have always been fairly strict about screen time. This year, however, she has moved up to middle school and there is a lot more stress on her. So we have eased up and allowed more TV. She's been so much more peaceful having it--and not only while she's watching! It doesn't affect my others so much because they have more activities and are out in the evenings, thankfully.

ETA: When I say TV I don't actually mean TV since we don't have TV service. The poor girl is stuck with whatever DVD's or old VHS tapes we have. Netflix was taken away due to fighting. 

I am like this.  I go crazy very quickly if I don't have something to occupy myself with.  I've tried to train myself to just sit there and do nothing ... learn to be patient, but it really is difficult.  I just get bored very quickly if I don't have something to do.

I think my biggest bad mom confession is- my kids play outside unsupervised all the time, for at least 2 hours a day :). I check in on them and they know to stay together and in the perimeter they are allowed or they have to come in immediately for not obeying, but I am not out there the whole time.

It's my opinion that the benefits if daily exercise and developing their own independence and awareness of safety and instincts without mom outweigh the risks.

It also means I have time in the afternoons to do chores on the days we don't have activities or at least a bit of time after lunch :)