Menu

Halloween with big kids...sniff...sigh...

msjones

My boys made their own plans for Halloween.  One is going to a party, the other will be working a neighborhood haunted house with a friend.  All they need from me are rides. 

:(

I know...I know... they are waaaaay to big to be trick-or-treating.  One is 5'10" and his voice has already changed.  The other is a very tall 12 and none of his neighborhood friends are going out this year.  

So, it's great that they made other fun plans and are looking forward to them.

But it's the end of an era.  No more chilly little robots or knights or pirates carried home by daddy at the end of the night.  Just big kids who need rides to their own social lives.  

Sigh...

This is my ds15s last year to go out.  My rule has been if you are still young enough to be ToTing you have to be in full costume and with the family.  Not only is he more than willing to follow those rules but 2 of his buddies would like to join us.  I guess it lets them feel they are going out together even if they still get an adult chaperone.  dd14 I am not sure if this will be her last year or not, we will see next year what she thinks. I am so glad dd6 still has many more years of ToTing left to go.

My ds is hanging with a friend and playing Halo.  My dd is going trick or treating as a zombie with her friend.  My dd really does not want to go t or t but her friend does so she said she would.  This is their last hurrah. 

It is sad.  I didn't even put out my ceramic pumpkin this year.

DD12 is going out TorTing with her friends in another neighborhood.  DS17 is going to see the Ender's Game movie (I'm SOOOO jealous!)

We never get TorTers at our house due to the location, so DH and I are going to go out and grab a hamburger after work before he leaves for a meeting.

I did color DD12's hair this morning at 6am so she could be Rainbow Hair the Pirate in her 7am Band class.  That was fun!

There was a sweet blog post going around today about a teen going ToT with his friends - the mom was sort of aghast, but also realized that the kids themselves were really feeling nostalgia and not wanting to grow up. She was saying she had bought them candy but it was clearly about being a kid, or wanting to stay young. It was asking for other parents to see it in that light and not assume they're greedy teens.

There are soooo many teens that ToT here that it has come to seem pretty normal to me whereas a few years ago I might have been more surprised. But surely my boys will be small enough forever!

My older dd is sad this year because she wants to go trick-or-treating, but is afraid to because of her new nut allergies.   We've always included other things in our Halloween fun so that it doesn't get outgrown so easily.  For instance, we dress up to hand out candy, and we watch a scary movie together (usually its a Scooby Doo movie, but still).  We typically get kids coming to the door from 5pm until we turn off the lights at 9pm.    We also set an extra place at the table then leave a candle burning all night.   You don't have to out grow fun.