Menu

Latina Christiana 1 not a good fit, suggestions for a different program

Prima Latina was a great fit for my dd10, but she absolutely hates LC. We have been using the videos, and she can't stand them.

What latin program are you using, and that your dc, at least, don't cry when you get it out?

Thanks for any suggestions!

My kids (ds12 & dd9) use Lively Latin Big Books 1 & 2, respectively.  Both kids really enjoy Latin and definitely don't cry when it's time for Latin.  The programs are written to the student and aren't really teacher intensive.  After ds finishes Lively Latin we're either going to start him in Henle (which I already have) or Galore Park's program (either LP 3 (?) or SYRWTL).  I've heard good things about the Galore Park programs. 

So, is it just the videos she doesn't like? If so, can you teach it to her from the Teacher's Manual?

My older two really disliked the videos with PL & LC. They'd much rather I flub through figuring out how to teach them straight from the TM. (So sometimes I would watch the videos myself & then teach them. Sometimes, I just winged it.)

If that won't work, I'd seriously look into Getting Started With Latin.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I have thought about just watching the videos myself, and then trying to teach the material, so I might give that a try for now.

Thanks for the other curricula names, too.  I will look those up as well.

:thumbup:

I always teach PL and LCI myself.  I found the T.M. to have everything necessary and didn't need the DVDs.  This is my 2nd yr to teach LCI in co-op, and I have found w/all of the prayers, songs, history, and sayings that we practice together that it is the most fun year of latin for the kids I teach.  I also use coloring sheets from another latin program that I found free online.  I find lots of worksheets, maps, and coloring sheets and even create some of my own for them to 3 hole punch and put in their notebooks over the course of the year.  I want them to create a personal latin notebook/Roman history notebook along the way.  We play a lot of games and interact w/each other using the sayings because I find that they really want to speak the language, not just conjugate, and that gives them a way to do so.

Once they hit First Form and up I do use the videos.  But I watch those myself and then teach the lesson in class at co-op.  The kids then get to interact, play games, and whatnot. There is less time for the songs and prayers and such w/FF just because there is so much work.  So I like to get them hooked on thinking latin is fun before then w/PL and LCI. 

If it isn't fun for them, they aren't going to want to carry on.  I hope you find something that works!  

You can't beat GSWL for gently dipping your toe in the waters, and yet coming out on the other side with a decent amount of progress.

After that, I would look into Latin Alive or Henle.  Henle never appealed to me before, but my older two are using it in a class and it is going well.  Whatever you use, I would go slowly and start the same level over again the next year and move more quickly for review.  Even if you spend a few years going through the same level (of a jr high or high school level text), the solid foundation will be worth it.

There are a few of us on here who are really enjoying Latin Prep from Galore Park. (You can order easily in the US through Horrible Ray.) My ds was having a terrible time with LC and we switched to Latin Prep and he loves Latin. There are no DVD's, but there is a cd and a computer game. 

It is taught differently. In LC, the kids get the vocab to memorize, then the next list etc... In Latin Prep they are giving a vocab list, but also a paragraph in Latin. Not every word is going to have been on their list. They work out what they can. In the workbook, which is used in a test style, they aren't supposed to be getting 80% or higher until around chapter 5. It took me a while to get used to the new style. DS however took to it right away. I thought he would find it frustrating, but he didn't.

My ds 10 is using Lively Latin, which he enjoys. I do not think we will move on to LL2 though, because as he nears the end of LL 1 he is getting a bit confused. He is going to use Latin for Children A instead. My dd12 is just finishing this up and has enjoyed it. She does not like the videos that go along with it, so she skips that. There is a related site (headventure land) that she enjoys using.