Menu

How did you leave home and at what age?

Mama Geek

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first two years of college I was at home and going to a local community college.  When I went away to college I still considered my parent's house my home.  I came home for breaks and summer, plus they were helping me pay for my housing.  I moved out on my 23rd birthday when I got married to my DH.

Thanks, y'all. I think reading this just made me realize how abnormal my life was back then. I had people to take me in... they ended up all being dysfunctional also, but I was married within six months. We lived with his bsc mother for a few months and then got our own apartment. We both were working and started community college classes. Dh had a really good job with benefits at the time.

Thanks, y'all. I think reading this just made me realize how abnormal my life was back then. I had people to take me in... they ended up all being dysfunctional also, but I was married within six months (we had been engaged for two years). We lived with his bsc mother for a few months and then got our own apartment. We both were working and started community college classes. Dh had a really good job with benefits at the time.

My first two years of college I was at home and going to a local community college.  When I went away to college I still considered my parent's house my home.  I came home for breaks and summer, plus they were helping me pay for my housing.  I moved out on my 23rd birthday when I got married to my DH.

My parents moved suddenly during my freshman yr of college. All of my stuff was disposed of, except what I had at school.

My parents moved suddenly during my freshman yr of college. All of my stuff was disposed of, except what I had at school.

My parents moved from a 4 to a 3 bedroom house while I was in Boot. I knew it was coming, though, and packed up everything I owned before I left--most to be stored at the new place, some specific things to be forwarded to my first post after Boot Camp.

Went away to college at 18 with about half parental support.  Came home for the summers (and worked my tail off - back when you could earn a year's worth of tuition in a summer.)  After college, I lived at home but chafed under my parents nosiness after living on my own for most of those 4 years.  Despite my parents offer to live at home rent free for a year (room and board free - everything else was on me,) after 3 months, I moved into an apartment with a college friend.  At age 27, I moved back in with my parents to save money to buy a house  and be closer to my then boyfriend, now hubby.  Plus, my mom was having some health problems and it was helpful for me to be there after work.  I lived at home for about 18 months (paying rent for 12 of those 18 months) until I got married and moved into the home that dh and I purchased. 

I went to college at 18.  My dad bawled his eyes out when they left me at school.

For the first two years I stayed with friends near school for Thanksgiving and spring break because of the cost, but went home for most of Christmas break.  The first year I visited my best friend's family for the last week; the second year I visited my boyfriend's family for the last week. 

After my freshman year I took a 6-week summer course before returning home for the rest of the summer.  My second summer I visited my grandparents for 10 days then took a summer job across the country and didn't go home at all.  After my junior year my fiance and I both went to my parents' home for a month and prepared for our wedding.  I was 21 and he was not-quite-20 when we married.

I left for college (over 2000 miles from home) a little before I turned 18. I lived in the dorms and went home on breaks until the second summer, at which point I was 19-almost-20 and some friends and I rented our first house and we all worked doing research at the college. My parents flew my dog down to me, and I never really went back home after that except for very brief visits, so although my parents were technically supporting me until I finished college, I would say that was the point when I "moved out".

My future DH and I got our own place after I graduated, and we worked to pay the bills, so that was when I was 21. We moved most of the way across the country and got our second place when I was 22 and got married when I was 23.

18...went away to college right after high school. When I graduated from college I didnt move back, my parents up and moved many many states away, so I had no "home" to come home to anyway. I lived in apartments and such with other single women until I met and married my DH at 25.

My parents had not been a good example with money, so those 7 years of living on my own (especially after the first 3 when I moved off campus and actually had many bills)were the school of hard knocks in finances. It was a struggle, but I learned so much!

I was 17 when I graduated high school. I was supposed to start college in NYC that fall but I didn't go. Even with the scholarships, the costs of flying back and forth and such seemed out of reach and the balance left for room and board after tuition was covered by scholarships would have meant some debt, even with the need based federal grants. I had won a state based scholarship by teacher nomination which was very generous and covered everything and then some but only good for in state schools. I was also overly responsible for my family and while I had been working, that money had been going to things we needed rather than savings. So I decided not to go 3000 miles for college. It was mostly a fear based decision, though there was an element of concern for my family. Anyhoo, my parents assumed I would just stay home with them. This made me mad. At the time we lived in a crappy 2 bedroom apartment 30+ miles north of where I went to school and I had spent most of the weekdays living out of a backpack and staying over with friends to avoid the 1.5 hour bus trip everyday. My back up college was near my high school and I wasn't willing to keep trekking it and I wanted out. So without telling my parents, I got a job which came with a studio apartment (pt nannying for a family with a MIL apartment set up) and announced I was moving. A very kind high school teacher drove me down with my few cartons of stuff and voila! I was on my own. I started college in the fall. When I was 21, I got married while still in college and I finished after my older son was born at 22. Sometimes I regret not having the courage to leave for college, but I can't regret the time with family, marrying, having my son and also of finishing without debt. My parents both had stretches of time where they lived with me and my brother lived with me for a long time while he was still in high school but I have never lived "at home" or otherwise been supported by my parents since then. I am 33 now, so it's been about 15 years.

I decided I was sick of the bs after graduation.  Found a room mate and an apt and buying everything I would need and moved out at 18.5 into my first apt.  I lived on my own for a year before deciding to go to university.  I move back home to go to school, I started in January.  I finished 2 semesters and then got pregnant, flunked out of my 3rd semester(due to complications with the pregnancy).  However the day I found out I was pregnant (5 weeks along) my mother threw me out, so I moved out that day and in with the father of the baby(my now exhusband).  At that point he and I had already broken up having only dated a few weeks.  And suddenly we were living together while I tried to finish that semester at school, Working my evening job (which I quit and got a f/t day job when the semester at school ended), and was expecting his baby.  It was not a good way to move out.

ETA: I was 20 when I was out for good, so 16 years ago.

I was 20 when I went away to college (spent the first two years living at home and going to a community college).  But even then, I came home during the summer and lived at home and worked.  Then I got married at 23.  I loved living at home, and I loved being on my own a bit too.  My family is great so I was not in a big hurry to move out.

Well if moving out is not when you live in a separate place but when your parents stop financing you completely, I guess dh and I never really moved out seeing as we're both trust fund kids.

For me it wasn't just financial support, although that was part of it, but knowing that I planned to move back home full time when I was out of college.  I had no plans to move into my own apartment or house until I was married, even if I had a job that would support me to do so.  I kept all of my financial documents, voter's registration, etc. with my home address, meaning my parents house until I moved out for good when I was married.

I moved out of my dad's after I turned 18.  I had graduated a couple of weeks before.  It honestly never occurred to me that I could stay longer, because in my previous years of living with my mom (until  I was 15), I'd spent a lot of time muttering, "Wait 'til I turn 18."  I moved to a college town to work and room with some friends.  I didn't go straight to college because my dad actively prevented me from going.  I still needed parent financial info to get aid, and he refused to provide it.

Age 17 when I graduated from high school.  Got scholarshipped into college - moved out of my mom's house - and never returned. :lol:  Mom never paid a penny to my needs or education once I left her place. Met DH at age 18.  Married him at age 19 (he was 25).  We've been married for 27 years!  No regrets!

I left at 19 to move in with my boyfriend.  We started dating at 18 and married at 22.  I pretty much lived with him for about a full year before I moved in, so all I needed to do was box up my personal belongings at my parents house and surrender the room.   LOL 

I was 17.  My dad and I fought horribly one day and I finally just said, "I'm done and I'm moving out."  I moved into an apartment that I rented from my grandparents and never looked back.  I got married when I was 19 and have been married for 15 yrs.

I married and moved out at 19. We moved the wedding date up because I was pregnant and DH had just been laid off from his job so our parents did help us the first 3 months. I was still going to college, DH landed a full time job within those 3 months and we took over all bills. We had both already been taking care of our own clothing expenses, food, car and insurance, gas, etc... We just had rent help for 3 months. We actually moved into a family members "river house " that they used for family cookouts.. It was rent free but my parents had to pay to add propane for the winter and I am sure a few other things. The place was ROUGH. Never intended for someone to live there but there was a bathroom. The shower water was BROWN. I took a bath ONCE and couldn't see my legs LOL Never again. It also had a huge issue with carpenter ants. I remember puking into the toilet (horrible all day morning sickness) and just thinking to myself, hurry up the bugs are coming! The bugs are coming! The little house was in the middle of a cow pasture at the river. It had gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, our cars were charged by cows all the time, we experienced cow births, funny wildlife all around etc.. It was a really neat experience and at the time we thought it was horrible. Looking back, it is some of my fondest memories. So what if I woke up to a mouse on the fireplace every morning that we named Albert... so what if I sat on the bed and put the leg of the bed through the floor LOL

I lived at home while I went to college. I moved out the day after graduation. I moved to live with my then boyfriend who was a PhD student at another university. Then we broke up after a couple years. I stayed in town but obviously had my own place. I lived on my own for years and years. I traveled and had fun with friends and worked. It was a great way to spend my 20s. I loved my sweet little apartment and my life then. I met now DH at the end of my 20s. We moved in together. We got married 2 years later when we decided we wanted to start a family.

I graduated, moved out, and was financially independent at 17.  I left town to go to college three months after that.  A year and a half later I did come back and stay with my mom for a couple months before I joined the Army, but that was because every apartment in town required a one year lease, not because I couldn't afford to live on my own.  After I was discharged from the Army (bad knees and whoops, did I forget to mention that I have epilepsy? :P) I went to college for five years and completely supported myself.  No help at all from either parent.  Which is why I'm going to owe on my student loans until I'm a great-grandmother.  

At 17 I went off to college several states away from my parents and never lived at home again. I also didn't even go back there for every break, or holiday, and not a single summer.

I was completely financially independent of them from the minute I went to college, so yeah.....that, for me, was "no longer living with my parents."

I "left home" to attend college in another part of the country, but remained a financial dependent.  Not only did I fly home several times throughout the year (to the bedroom my parents left intact), but my parents bought a home in my college town so that I could live there and they could visit often (which they did).  I saw them at least once, usually twice a month the entire time I was in college. 

I got hired out of college, but had to attend 6 weeks of unpaid training. It was in my hometown, so I stayed with my parents. I had the option of (free) hotel, but ... I kind of like hanging out with my family. We're close, they were glad to have me.

I officially launched at age 22, the year I graduated college, eloped and finished training. My husband PCS'd from overseas the same week I completed training. Unforunately we were sent to different states, so we set up home at his duty station and I bought/maintained a crash pad at my base - commuted for years. But I never truly launched, if I think about it. I went home to my parents every time my husband deployed - which was happening a lot there for awhile. When we divorced, I lived with them for awhile. Then I moved out, and he moved in with them.  He still lives there with them, and the kids and I are there daily, and often overnight.

I guess my answer is: I haven't yet. And that's okay with me and with them. :coolgleamA:

I left my home and moved in with DH's family very soon after I graduated highschool, I was 17.  Only because my mum was planning to move in with her boyfriend and I was done riding that rollercoaster.  That was 12 years ago, she's still mad at me (she married that boyfriend and it lasted a year, they broke up the week before my wedding).

DH's parents weren't thrilled but preferred it to finding our own place and struggling.  We got married just over a year later (May) and moved into our own place in November - totally financially independent at that stage (DH was working full time and I was studying full time and working around 30hrs a week), so I was 19 and DH was 21.  18 months later we had our first baby and bought our first house.  We celebrated our 10 year anniversary this year.

We did move back into my mum's place last year as an in-between when we sold our house (but we were still financially independent).  It was a disaster.  We're still not speaking.