Menu

Heads up info for the Affordable Care Act...

DianeW88

My son had to spend some time in the ER getting IV antibiotics because he tried to break up a cat fight this weekend...and ended up looking like a mountain lion attacked his arm.  LOL Lesson learned.

Anyway...we were presented with a form that stated that our signature gave the government permission to market our information to attorneys who could then contact us about our medical issues for the next THREE YEARS.  What the heck???  The clerk said that this is part of the ACA, and they began implementing it on the 25th of this month. We wrote "refuse" across the signature line, because the last thing I need is lots of phone calls from ambulance chasers.

Anyone else heard of this or know anything about it?  Whatever you do, be careful what you sign.

Um, I think that's very inappropriate of the hospital. DH was in the ER as a patient last month and nothing like that was presented to him to sign. Additionally, he is in and out of multiple ER's near us for work and has never heard of such a thing. I googled and don't see anything either. What hospital is this? 

Davis Hospital in Utah.  It's a brand new form, apparently they just started using it on the 25th of this month.  The clerk explained that you are giving permission (exempting yourself from HIPPA) with your signature.  I've never heard of it, and I work in health care, but new information is coming in every. stinking. day.  We had to sign it on three separate occasions between Saturday night and Monday morning, because my son needed three separate doses of IV antibiotics, and so we had three different visits.  I couldn't find any info online either, so that's why I'm asking.  The hospital kept the form with our records, so I don't know its official name.

Ok, I called the hospital to find out more info.  It is being used to market health insurance through the exchange if you don't have adequate coverage.  You are giving representatives permission to view your information and then call and offer you a health plan based on the info that they have.  I don't where the clerk came up with attorneys.  LOL  At any rate, you can refuse to have exchange representatives phone you by not signing the form.

Ok, I called the hospital to find out more info.  It is being used to market health insurance through the exchange if you don't have adequate coverage.  You are giving representatives permission to view your information and then call and offer you a health plan based on the info that they have.  I don't where the clerk came up with attorneys.  LOL  At any rate, you can refuse to have exchange representatives phone you by not signing the form

There's something very underhanded here. People going into the ER are given so many forms to sign, they often just start signing without understanding so they can just get through treatment. It should be wrong of the hospital to slip in forms that give up privacy rights so some affiliate can start marketing insurance to you. 

There's something very underhanded here. People going into the ER are given so many forms to sign, they often just start signing without understanding so they can just get through treatment. It should be wrong of the hospital to slip in forms that give up privacy rights so some affiliate can start marketing insurance to you. 

The admitting clerk did know enough about it to mention that it was being used for marketing purposes, and I knew I wasn't interested in more marketers calling my house.  And that's really the reason I brought this up.  Forms are changing on an almost daily basis now, and patients need to be aware of what they have in front of them (and usually it's a PILE of forms if you're going into a hospital), and what they're signing.  Just double check so that you are sure you know what you are giving the hospital permission to do.  That's all.  I wasn't really debating the ACA, just giving folks a heads up, because this one caught me by surprise. :)

Ok, I called the hospital to find out more info.  It is being used to market health insurance through the exchange if you don't have adequate coverage.  You are giving representatives permission to view your information and then call and offer you a health plan based on the info that they have.  I don't where the clerk came up with attorneys.  LOL  At any rate, you can refuse to have exchange representatives phone you by not signing the form.

It is the 'don't have adequate coverage' that I find interesting. It looks like they are trying to find a way to make sure people can get coverage so their ED bills get paid and the hospital doesn't get stuck with the bill. I know in NY that some income dependent health insurance must cover medial bills going back a certain number of months (could be a year) if the person was not covered. It has or had been that way for a long time. So, if the insurance offered was retroactive it would be a way to get the ED visit covered.

I am in No Way suggesting that is what would happen with your son. I am just noticing that they made the condition of 'don't have adequate coverage' the basis for the contact. That is a huge issue for hospitals, as we all know.

There are lots of people, especially young people, who end up in the hospital, who never thought they would, and they don't have health insurance. Now that insurance companies can't turn people down, it is possible to sign up for health insurance while you are in the hospital. Good to know.

It is the 'don't have adequate coverage' that I find interesting. It looks like they are trying to find a way to make sure people can get coverage so their ED bills get paid and the hospital doesn't get stuck with the bill. I know in NY that some income dependent health insurance must cover medial bills going back a certain number of months (could be a year) if the person was not covered. It has or had been that way for a long time. So, if the insurance offered was retroactive it would be a way to get the ED visit covered.

I am in No Way suggesting that is what would happen with your son. I am just noticing that they made the condition of 'don't have adequate coverage' the basis for the contact. That is a huge issue for hospitals, as we all know.

There are lots of people, especially young people, who end up in the hospital, who never thought they would, and they don't have health insurance. Now that insurance companies can't turn people down, it is possible to sign up for health insurance while you are in the hospital. Good to know.

The form was for everyone because it is valid for three years.  So, as the woman I spoke with tonight explained it, if we were to lose our health coverage for any reason, we would be contacted.  Don't know how they would know if we lost our coverage, but I guess somehow they would.  LOL

Thanks for the info.  Since we go through a health share program (not insurance, but legal and exempted from ACA legally), I'll know to look out for that form.  I don't care to have marketers contacting us for things I don't care to change.

I've already signed many forms without looking at them.  I've got to learn to change... (sigh)  Hubby looks at them later and asks, "Did you realize you gave them permission for ______?"  Um, no... fortunately so far there's nothing I wouldn't have agreed to upon thinking about it though.  This new one would be totally different.

As far as I know (and we have private health insurance, so I really haven't paid attention), Utah does not have its own exchange.

DianeW88: If you have an Individual policy, a contract between your family and the insurance company, not via an employer, as I did, for many years, you are in the category of policyholders where the government estimates that  40 to 67% of those policies will be cancelled and those people will go onto ObamaCare.  If you have Group coverage, via an Employer,  hopefully, you are OK.  GL

Are you sure this is *required* by the ACA? Or might it be something the hospital is doing on its own?

They told me it was required by the ACA.  But I imagine this would be an opportune time for medical centers to insert their own "requirements", and be able to get away with it, since confusion is reigning supreme in health care these days.  Who would know the difference?  But the woman I spoke with last night said it was part of the ACA.

DianeW88: If you have an Individual policy, a contract between your family and the insurance company, not via an employer, as I did, for many years, you are in the category of policyholders where the government estimates that  40 to 67% of those policies will be cancelled and those people will go onto ObamaCare.  If you have Group coverage, via an Employer,  hopefully, you are OK.  GL

We have group coverage through my husband's employer.

If their policy didn't meet ACA requirements and is canceled, they can CHOOSE to purchase a policy on one of the exchanges OR purchase a policy from the private markets. Obamacare isn't something to "go" on to......... all of the policies purchased on the exchanges are still from private insurers.

If their policy didn't meet ACA requirements and is canceled, they can CHOOSE to purchase a policy on one of the exchanges OR purchase a policy from the private markets. Obamacare isn't something to "go" on to......... all of the policies purchased on the exchanges are still from private insurers.

In one of the news stories I read, earlier this morning, one of the reasons that an Individual policy that was in force before 2010 will *not* be grandfathered, is if the premium, deductible, etc., changes.

In my experience, with a Major Medical  policy that I had for many years, as an Individual, every year or so, they increased the premium. I remember that I would have them raise the deductible, to keep the increase in premium to a minimum.  From what I read this morning, that type of policy will need to be cancelled by the insurance carrier, in the next few months.

Yes, I agree with you that many of the people who are now losing their coverage will be able to purchase new coverage, from a private company, when the web site is working properly.

My son had to spend some time in the ER getting IV antibiotics because he tried to break up a cat fight this weekend...and ended up looking like a mountain lion attacked his arm.  LOL Lesson learned.

Anyway...we were presented with a form that stated that our signature gave the government permission to market our information to attorneys who could then contact us about our medical issues for the next THREE YEARS.  What the heck???  The clerk said that this is part of the ACA, and they began implementing it on the 25th of this month. We wrote "refuse" across the signature line, because the last thing I need is lots of phone calls from ambulance chasers.

Anyone else heard of this or know anything about it?  Whatever you do, be careful what you sign.

Are you kidding me?

WOW.  I knew that everyone is selling and marketing our information everywhere, while denying it vehemently, but geez. 

Soon the IRS will be in charge of it.  Yikes. 

They told me it was required by the ACA.  But I imagine this would be an opportune time for medical centers to insert their own "requirements", and be able to get away with it, since confusion is reigning supreme in health care these days.  Who would know the difference?  But the woman I spoke with last night said it was part of the ACA.

We have group coverage through my husband's employer.

I'd like to know what provision requires this?  I sure didn't know it and I've read a lot of it. 

I'm betting they just do whatever they want and tell you that it is because of the ACA. 

I'd like to know what provision requires this?  I sure didn't know it and I've read a lot of it. 

I'm betting they just do whatever they want and tell you that it is because of the ACA. 

Unfortunately, there is a lot of that going on.......... it really adds to the confusion about what the ACA entails and what it does not.

It certainly could be exactly that. Most people have no idea what is part of the act and what isn't.  And patients can easily be taken advantage of...especially when you're in a vulnerable situation like the waiting room of an ER. That's why I posted this.  We need to be careful what we are signing these days and exactly what we are giving permission for.  And also know that you have the right to refuse to sign anything that you don't agree with.  I wrote "refuse" across the signature line all three times I was presented with the paper.

I doubt this is a requirement of the ACA.  I've read quite a bit about it, and I've never heard of it.  My dh actually had to go to the ER for an asthma related thing last night, and they didn't make him sign anything like that.  And you can be sure those other guys ;) would have jumped all over a requirement like that and made sure to publicize it.  I'm guessing it's a hospital requirement, not an ACA requirement.  

Too much stuff like this is happening, with clinics, insurance companies, etc. saying, "Oh, well, we have to do this because of the ACA."  Choosing to do something now that the ACA is going into effect and the ACA requiring you to do something are two different things, but they're sure happy to blur the lines.

Or one administrator thinks they know and they make a decision that makes no sense.

I run into that with homeschooling in this state all the time. I live in a 'high reg' state, but those regs are very specific and are statewide. I cannot tell you how often I hear about some homeschool family in the state having a hard time, or being told flat out lies by their local oversight person. I swear some local people don't even know there are state regs. Someone new comes in and thinks they get to reinvent the wheel and 'whip those homeschoolers into shape' because they cannot believe our idea of IHIPS or whatever. Then, they have be told about 1000 times that, in fact, there are already very specific state regs in place and that is all we have to follow.

So, I am pretty jaded when it comes to how well administrators understand the systems they are supposed to be, well, administrating. Although I will withhold judgement for a bit on the ACA, because it will take time to get everything sorted. But, yeah, lots of places do something on their own in the name of the bigger program, or one person hears something and thinks he knows what he is doing.....

Have any of you  heard the stories of what it was like when Social Security was set up? It nuts! Apparently they hadn't considered what to do when people had the same name,lol. All those poor John Smiths causing trouble.  

It certainly could be exactly that. Most people have no idea what is part of the act and what isn't.  And patients can easily be taken advantage of...especially when you're in a vulnerable situation like the waiting room of an ER. That's why I posted this.  We need to be careful what we are signing these days and exactly what we are giving permission for.  And also know that you have the right to refuse to sign anything that you don't agree with.  I wrote "refuse" across the signature line all three times I was presented with the paper.

You are right.

Not that it matters.  The NSA knows what you had for breakfast today, and said to your husband on the phone.  I'm sure anyone with an interest and a few dollars to spend can find out anything they want about you regardless of what you had signed.

May the Bill of Rights rest in peace...

You are right.

Not that it matters. The NSA knows what you had for breakfast today, and said to your husband on the phone. I'm sure anyone with an interest and a few dollars to spend can find out anything they want about you regardless of what you had signed.

May the Bill of Rights rest in peace...

LOL. Dh and I were talking about treatment newest Snowden stuff this morning. Something about the NSA going through Google and yahoo. Is anyone really surprised by that? I just assume everything we do is monitored in some way because of dh's security clearance stuff. If they don't know it now, they will when he has to renew his clearance. Don't like it, but what can you do?

Sorry. But this really rubs me the wrong way. If you aren't "against what some would call 'socialized medicine'" and you are "truly glad for those it helps" then consider not being so condescending. Saying things like "as usual, it means we pay for everyone else" and "I am subsidizing you" just exacerbates the us vs. them problems we have in this country. Its difficult to hear as a single mom who makes less than 1/7 what your family makes. How about some gratitude that you can afford to help others.

It's bad news for us. Our premiums, our benefits and our out of pocket limits will go way up. Yes, DH makes 110K annually. But basically, as usual, it means we pay for everyone else. I am not a stingy person and I want to help others and am not really against what some would call "socialized medicine."

And it is very untrue to say that everyone can now afford it. The fact is, I am  subsidizing you if you make less than 90,000/year and have at least two kids. 

Sorry. That is my vent for the year! And I'm not even conservative (or liberal, very moderate). Still,  I'm truly glad for those it helps.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone signed up for the Affordable Care Act through the website?

If so, how did you pay the premium?

Do you have a means of knowing you are in fact covered for 2014?

You pay for the premium directly with the insurance company you select. The ACA government website is not involved in collecting money from individuals. It's supposed to function as a matchmaker of sorts. Most companies require payment by the 15th of the preceding month to guarantee coverage starting the 1st of a month, but you would need to check with the company you select for their due dates. Once the insurance company receives payment, they will mail you an insurance card and packet of information. The payment process should be identical to how you would have paid for a private policy pre-ACA.

I take screen shots of payment confirmations when I pay anything online. If you aren't sure whether your payment went through, you should call the insurance company and check. The 800 number for customer service would be on their website. We had a snafu with our insurance company last year where they posted our payment to another account and didn't mail out the cards in time. They were able to fax a confirmation of benefits letter that gave enough information for our ped's office to process the claim for our visit. HTH! :)