Menu

Kindle Matchbook

Plateau Mama

I had about 30 matches, two of which I don't think I'd even purchased, and none of which I'm in interested in acquiring in e-format. I was hoping for lots of matches on kids books.

It's interesting to see this from readers' points of views. There's been a lot of discussion about it on the author boards I frequent. Most authors I know are opting in for their books, and most are choosing to make the ebook free, (that's what I'm doing) although some are choosing 99 cents because they think customers can buy a paper copy for a friend and keep the ebook for themselves.

Since I hang with romance authors and we tend to publish ourselves, it's easy for us to opt in to the program. It's a whole different matter for big publishers to do so with their books - they might need to redo contracts over it, so I can see why it will take time for Matchbook to become a big program, but I bet by this time next year it'll be a given with most books; it just makes sense.

Interesting!

I had an idea when ereaders started becoming popular... You could trade in your hardcopy book and get the ebook version for $1 to replace it. Then the hardcopy would be donated to troops, schools, and other charities. It would be on the publishers to pick up the money slack I suppose.

I have only one match, a wilderness responders book I got DH for Christmas last year.

I had probably a couple dozen, but I'm pretty sure every single one of them was something I bought as a gift for someone else.  The majority of them were Agatha Christie books that I gave my sister, and she's already loaned them to me so I don't need to buy them.  :laugh: It would be nice if they could tie it in to when you made a purchase from someone's wish list, so then the matchbook price could show up on the recipient's list, or something.

I'd been hoping for a few more (mostly specific titles), but our library has an excellent e-book selection and has "purchased" every request I've made. I don't use an e-reader, but each of the kids has their own. It's very convenient for car/bus/about town, and I don't miss carrying books.

I have 15 and none I would buy again. Does anyone know how often they plan to add more titles? Or how those titles are selected?

I believe Amazon made this available to every author who had qualified books; you just have to choose to opt in. So when an author or publisher adds a new book to the catalog they can choose to opt in, and you can go back and opt in for books that are already published.

I imagine what you'll find is more new books coming online with Matchbook activated.

And probably the big publishers will take months to figure it out, like usual. :) I think it's tough for them to adopt new technologies and sales options than it is for smaller ones.

Only one for me - Wheelock's Latin, and I doubt I'll buy the ebook. I wasn't surprised.  I hardly ever buy books, other than ds' school stuff. When I was reading physical books, I got them from the library. Once I got my Kindle, I started buying ebooks, and when my library started offering ebooks, those purchases went down. I get most of my ebooks from the library now, just like I did with physical copies. 

I only buy physical copies of books now when I want a cookbook (trying to curb that addiction since so many recipes are online now) and craft books. Even then, I'm starting to like having those books on my Kindle Fire.

I frequent the Amazon Kindle discussion boards. Periodically over the years, someone would start a thread saying if you bought a physical copy of a book, Amazon should offer you the ebook free or at a reduced price. People would immediately jump on those posters calling them many names, the least of which was "entitled". I think it's funny that those who were critical now think Amazon is so wonderful for offering this. :)

• 4 months later...

Is there a time limit on this?

In other words, how long do you have to purchase the Kindle format? 

There doesn't appear to be. I have the same offers now I had when the program was introduced, some on books purchased well over five years ago.