Menu

Looking for a great family winter vacation!

thowell

So we live in Florida and would like to take our girls somewhere to really enjoy the winter. We were thinking of going at Christmas time but we can make it in January. We do not fly so needs to be within a day or 2 of driving. Somewhere they can see snow, enjoy some "real" winter activities in a family atmosphere. Any thoughts??

Well, you could to to Lake Placid.

I personally have always always wanted to go to the ice hotel outside of Montreal.

http://www.snowvillagecanada.com/

I don't live that far away, but I can never quite justify the cost. But it looks super fun and memorable.

I keep thinking I could leave the kids with my mom and just dh and I could go, but I want to have the kids with us.

I am originally from Florida...you don't want to spend your whole time driving.  I am thinking to maximize the time and not drive too far, I would do the mountains in Western NC.  The rest of NC would not give you the snow you would want, but if you went more towards say Grandfather mountain, you could find skiing and such around there.  There is also tubing over there which is a blast if you don't want to ski.

You could also go a little south of Grandfather Mountain towards Asheville and go to Biltmore Estate for a day. 

It's not like Colorado or the Northeast, but if you want to drive less and see snow, that would be my choice. 

Michigan does have a lot of winter activities but depending where in Florida you are might be quite a drive and driving in the winter through the Smokies and then farther north can be very dicey at times, esp. if you are not used to winter driving. The roads can be clear and dry for days and then a snow or ice storm hits and you are crawling along at 15mph trying to see 10 feet ahead of your car.

Western NC is going to be the closest to Florida (depending where you live in FL).  Asheville is about a 7 hour drive from Jacksonville...so add the hours from where you live to Jacksonville. To get to the real "mountains", where you'd likely have snow, and skiiing, and tubing, you'd need to add another hour-two hours to that, ie the Boone NC or Blowing Rock NC area.  The Asheville are may or may not have snow that time of year...it's hit or miss...the year we lived there, we had snow on Christmas Day and it lasted for about two weeks, and then snowed again in January.  Last year, they barely got any snow at all.  I think this year, with the weather we've had in the area (I'm about an hour from Asheville, so same general area), it was an unseasonably cool summer, so I'm predicting an very cold/snowy winter.   We'll see though!

• 2 months later...

North Carolina is the location to recommend.  Look at specials for home school students at www.riderschoice.blogspot.com

Cataloochee is wonderful.  Sugar Mountain is great but lodging is a little pricey.  Beech Mountain has specials for 2 or 3 days in a row.

Riders choice is a home school ski group which coordinates rates for all home school students.  

Your kids will enjoy skiing.  

WV has some ski resorts within a day's drive from FL. Make sure wherever you go, it's a place that makes their own snow for skiing/sledding. If you simply check into a mountain resort, nature may disappoint you and you'll be trapped inside doing things you could do inside in FL. Granted, a cozy fire and good book are heavenly when it's sleeting outside, but you'll want the whole family onboard.