Menu

Opinions on any colleges on this list?

Jenny in Florida

My son has decided to go ahead with trying to apply for full-time admission in fall 2014. He is hoping to major in either musical theatre or dance or some combination of the two (possibly majoring in one and minoring in the other, depending on the requirements and courses offered at a specific school). Currently, he's planning to apply to the following schools:

Alma College

Long Island University - Post Campus

Long Island University - Brooklyn Campus

Marymount Manhattan College

Muhlenberg College

Oklahoma City University

University of Tampa

Wagner College

His grades and test scores put him well within range of all the schools on the list. At a few of them, they put him well above the typical accepted student. (We need to maximize his chances of getting really great aid/scholarships.) Most require an audition to get into the programs he's interested in -- or to apply for scholarships -- but they are not as highly competitive as the best-known programs.

We've done a lot of research. But since several of the schools are small-ish and don't generate as much interest as larger campuses on sites like College Confidential, we're finding it a little harder to gather as much information about them. So, I'm curious to know if anyone here has or knows a student who has applied to, auditioned for or attended any of these colleges? If so, I'd really appreciate hearing any information you could share.

Thanks!

Dd18 flirted with the idea of a theatre major so I am familiar with two of the schools on your list.

She didn't end up applying to Marymount Manhattenville because she felt the English courses weren't comparable to those at other schools.

We both were very impressed with Muhlenberg and with the theatre department (classes, performance opportunities, the actual performance spaces (wow those were so nice! 2 main stages and a black box space)). Everyone we talked to was open and welcoming, even random students on campus. Unfortunately Muhlenberg didn't come through in the merit aid category, despite dd's stats being above the 75% level. (She ultimately applied as an English major and didn't need to audition.) Muhlenberg was the only CSS/Profile school she applied to---I was thinking unkind thoughts about Muhlenberg towards the end of filling out that form!

Would your ds have to travel for auditions or do the schools participate in regional auditions?

Would your ds have to travel for auditions or do the schools participate in regional auditions?

Thanks for your reply!

A couple of the schools do participate in regional auditions. However, their schedules conflict, and they are not in the same place. Some seem to be willing to accept video auditions, but only for admission purposes, not for scholarships. So, yes, a certain amount of travel will be in his future.

Muhlenberg is in the "only if they rain money on him" category, and I don't expect it to happen. But it sounds like such a good fit in many ways that I'm encouraging him to apply, just not to get his heart set on it. Fortunately, he seems slightly less entranced with Muhlenberg than I am on his behalf. which I hope means he won't be devastated if money ends up being the thing that stands in his way there.

My friend's sister attended Alma ages ago. Their studio art program is what drew her there.

The college is relatively isolated, as I recall.  On the one hand, this could produce a tight knit college community.  But it does seem like it would offer a different dynamic than other schools on the list, particularly those in the NY metropolitan area.

Jenny, you may have already dismissed this one, but have you looked at UNC-Greensboro?  They have a terrific dance/theater program.

My friend's sister attended Alma ages ago. Their studio art program is what drew her there.

The college is relatively isolated, as I recall.  On the one hand, this could produce a tight knit college community.  But it does seem like it would offer a different dynamic than other schools on the list, particularly those in the NY metropolitan area.

Jenny, you may have already dismissed this one, but have you looked at UNC-Greensboro?  They have a terrific dance/theater program.

Thanks for this. Yes, he started out with the idea that he really wanted a small campus with a community feel. And he likes some of the quirky things about Alma, like the highland dance stuff, as well as the fact that the campus is really attractive. But he also likes the idea of being close to NYC. So, he'll apply and see what choices he has before making a decision.

I did look again at UNC-Greensboro after you mentioned it. I don't see that they offer musical theatre as a degree program, and the tap offerings in their dance curriculum are pretty limited. I'll mention it to him and see if he wants to take a look, though. Thanks!

I used to work at the LIU Brooklyn campus in the late 80s / early 90s. I'd hesitate to recommend it to anyone in any major other than perhaps pharmacy (the associated pharmacy school is well-respected). I'm not familiar enough with the rest to offer any useful comments.

Thanks for speaking up. That one keeps dropping off and them rising back onto the list.

Thanks for this. Yes, he started out with the idea that he really wanted a small campus with a community feel. And he likes some of the quirky things about Alma, like the highland dance stuff, as well as the fact that the campus is really attractive. But he also likes the idea of being close to NYC. So, he'll apply and see what choices he has before making a decision.

I did look again at UNC-Greensboro after you mentioned it. I don't see that they offer musical theatre as a degree program, and the tap offerings in their dance curriculum are pretty limited. I'll mention it to him and see if he wants to take a look, though. Thanks!

Got it.  UNC-G has a theatre degree, not musical theatre.  It might be worth an inquiry though to see what students are doing.

A family member attended Emerson which has the musical theatre program but not dance.  I see the challenge here!

I will throw out one more for your consideration:  Elon University (use to be Elon College) here in NC offers a BFA in Musical Theatre and one in Dance.  But I am unclear on how generous they are with financial aid.

Thanks for this. Yes, he started out with the idea that he really wanted a small campus with a community feel. And he likes some of the quirky things about Alma, like the highland dance stuff, as well as the fact that the campus is really attractive.

The Alma in Michigan?  It's really in the middle of nowhere - yes, small campus & tight community, beautiful area, but also  very small town and long driving distance to anything else.  I know a few people who have gone there, but none in the fine arts area.  Based on what I know from your other posts, though, this might be a bit of a different culture for him - if Alma stays on the short list, maybe find a way to spend a few days in town and get a better feel for it.

I don't know those colleges, but as a Brooklyn resident I can comment on the location of LIU- Brooklyn.  On one hand, it's pretty close to the heart of gentrifying Brooklyn and there are terrific performing arts centers nearby (Brooklyn Academy of Music, Mark Morris Dance Center).  On the other hand, I'd be worried about rising rents in the area.  So I'd check out the cost of room and board for that one.

I don't know those colleges, but as a Brooklyn resident I can comment on the location of LIU- Brooklyn.  On one hand, it's pretty close to the heart of gentrifying Brooklyn and there are terrific performing arts centers nearby (Brooklyn Academy of Music, Mark Morris Dance Center).  On the other hand, I'd be worried about rising rents in the area.  So I'd check out the cost of room and board for that one.

Got it.  UNC-G has a theatre degree, not musical theatre.  It might be worth an inquiry though to see what students are doing.

A family member attended Emerson which has the musical theatre program but not dance.  I see the challenge here!

I will throw out one more for your consideration:  Elon University (use to be Elon College) here in NC offers a BFA in Musical Theatre and one in Dance.  But I am unclear on how generous they are with financial aid.

Thanks again, Jane! I've been encouraging him to look at Elon, but he seems unenthusiastic. I suspect some of it has to do with the location. For him, I think, North Carolina feels too close to home to be "away" and not close enough to NYC to be exciting.

My personal feeling is that, if he's not going to stay in Florida, I'd just as soon have him in NY, relatively close to NYC, since my daughter plans to be moving up there within a year or so. That way, he'd have someone available in case of emergency (or just a really icky day), and my husband and I could visit both of them during a single trip.

It would make gathering for holidays tons easier, too.

My daughter has even floated the possibility that they could share an apartment, if dorm living doesn't work out for him. (After years of listening to them bicker, you could have knocked me over with a feather after I heard her suggest that!)

The Alma in Michigan?  It's really in the middle of nowhere - yes, small campus & tight community, beautiful area, but also  very small town and long driving distance to anything else.  I know a few people who have gone there, but none in the fine arts area.  Based on what I know from your other posts, though, this might be a bit of a different culture for him - if Alma stays on the short list, maybe find a way to spend a few days in town and get a better feel for it.

Yep, that's the one. My daughter attended a small college in a small city, and my son just loved the look and feel of the area. I suspect he's drawn to Alma in part because it seems like the same kind of place. He'll have to go out there to audition for scholarships, if he does pursue applying. So, we'll definitely have an opportunity to poke around at that point.

If he does get accepted to and end up attending one of the NYC-area schools, he'd be living in the dorms, at least at first. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Has he considered NYU?   I know that they're not known for great financial aid, but you never know.  Another one to look into is New School, also in NYC.  And University of the Arts in Philadelphia isn't far from NYC.   Just some thoughts.

NYU would be a reach for him, and he's not crazy about the campus.

I don't know New School, but I'll see if he'd like to take a look.

University of the Arts is on his list, actually. I'm not sure why I didn't include it in my original post.

Thanks!

NYU would be a reach for him, and he's not crazy about the campus.

I don't know New School, but I'll see if he'd like to take a look.

University of the Arts is on his list, actually. I'm not sure why I didn't include it in my original post.

Thanks!

Jenny, I have a really good friend with a daughter at University of the Arts for dance. I'm sure she'd be happy to answer any questions from you via email. Let me know if you'd like her info :)

I know nothing about those colleges. However, we have a family friend, who is a dancer. She went to college in New York, because it gave her more opportunities to train and dance outside of school. She loved the experience and was "discovered" before she could finish college.

• 7 years later...