Menu

Fantastic Civil War Books for 10 year olds?

We're on the Civil War. Any suggestions for great books or DVDs are hugely appreciated. Although I should always give the caveat that my boys love animals: horses, dogs, pigs, cows, goats, cats especially etc.

So if you have a favorite book where the animals get taken away or hurt, we'd have to pass.

Thanks for any great ideas!

Alley

Our favorite for fiction was one I don't see mentioned here so much because it's newer - The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg. I don't remember any animal trauma.

There are also many good picture books that are still worthwhile at this age - I especially love Pink and Say, which is excellent and touching.

The best nonfiction book we read was Fields of Fury - I really liked the layout of one large image with one page of solid narrative text. Very comprehensive and well-written introduction for kids.

Here's a recent thread on this same topic: Suggest Civil War books, movies for 10yos? Out of my list on that thread, these are all gentle, with nothing to upset an animal lover:

readers:

- Freedom Train: Story of Harriet Tubman (Sterling) -- biography; pre-Civil War, slaves escaping to freedom

- The Daring Escape of Ellen Craft (Moore) -- biography; 1848, slaves escaping to freedom

- Behind Rebel Lines (Reit) -- biography; true story of a teen girl who disguised herself as a boy and became a Union spy in the South

- Civil War Sub: Mystery of the Henley (Boehm) -- non-fiction; one of the first submarines

- The Monitor: The Iron Warship that Changed the World (Thompson) -- non-fiction; one of the first submarines

- Bull Run (Fleishman) -- historical fiction; battle of Bullrun told from multiple points of view

- The Perilous Road (Steele) -- historical fiction; Civil War

non-fiction

- The Boys War (Murphy)

- Abraham Lincoln: A Photobiography (Freedman)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: Fort Sumter (January)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: The Battle of Bullrun (Kent)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: The Battle of Shiloh (Kent)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: The Gettysburg Address (Richards)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: Surrender at Appomattox -- (there are 3 versions: one each by Kent, McGowen, and Benoit)

- If You Lived at the Time of the Civil War (Moore) 

movies:

1. The General (1926)-- absolutely wonderful silent B&W with Buster Keaton, set in the Civil War

2. Friendly Persuasion -- southern Illinois Quaker family caught up in the start of the Civil War

It's been too long, but I'm *pretty sure* these are all okay as far as animals, too -- older movies usually are:

The Horse Soldiers (1959) -- Union soldiers sent to destroy a RR supply depot; watch The General alongside this one, as it is the same plot, but a comedy

Springfield Rifle (1952) -- Gary Cooper as the North's first counter spy trying to discover who's stealing Union cavalry horses

How The West Was Won (1962) -- multi-generational saga of the West, including the Gold Rush, Civil War, and building railroads

We are currently on the Civil War too. Here is part of our list:

Graphic History comics: Harriet Tubman

Landmark Books: Abe Lincoln from Log Cabin to White House

Drama of American History- The Civil War (RA)

The Last Brother

Across Five Aprils (ds10 is listening to it right now, actually, on the library's Playaway digital audio)

Stonewall Jackson by Jean Fritz

Cornerstones of Freedom: The Gettysburg Address

Landmark Books: Gettysburg

These lists are just awesome. Thank you everyone.

I wanted to make sure that you heard about these two books. They're super good for boys and girls:

Be Ever Hopeful, Hanalee

Turn Homeward, Hanalee  both by Patricia Beatty

The books depict the poor white experience during the Civil War. We couldn't put them down.

Alley