Menu

Physics for Poets: my attempt at a living-books approach to physics

Thanks for sharing!  I can see using this type of approach for my daughter who is not a science lover (sigh) but does love to read.  DH and I were both chemists in a past life and I'm sure she is tired of hearing us say "Don't you think that's cool!" every time we teach a lesson.  She would much rather curl up with a book, and this way she can do just that and still learn some physics!

• 3 months later...

Can I just ask about this ...

Unit 2: Modern physics (weeks 16-32)
Watch: Lectures 16-32
Read: How to teach physics to your dog; and Physics of the Impossible; and begin one of the lightweight books
Research: Two topics in modern physics
Write: Two 4-page papers on modern physics (see bottom of this post for ideas).
Investigate: 2 topics

Weeks:
19-21 Read book
22 Read, Research topic on modern physics
23 Read, Write 4-page paper
24 Read, Investigation #4
25-27 Read book
28 Read, Research topic on modern physics
29 Read, Write 4-page paper
30 Read, Investigation #5

at first, you say weeks 16-32, but in the breakdown, you start with 19 and end at 30?

Thank you for sharing this! (I see this is a resurrected thread) We have done a living books Physics study too, but very informally. My daughter has read quite a few of the books you have listed, and she does write papers on them for her own understanding. These will be of interest to her as well, I am sure. Great job. :thumbup1: 

• 1 year later...

Just running through this thread again as I try to tackle what to do for DD this next year as a rising 9th grader who will not yet even be Pre-Algebra (although she may get there by the 2nd half).  As the parent of a child who struggles with math computation/concepts and science concepts (and shuts down easily in these areas when she feels overwhelmed) but who is bright and capable in so many ways I deeply appreciate what your goals are with this, Ruth.  Thank you.

• 2 years later...