Menu

DUMB ? - Poodle Skirt, Bobbie Socks and...??

CyndiLJ

Please don't laugh at me, I am totally out of my element already and just need a little opinion/advice.

I have to dress in a poodle skirt for a Sweet Adelines concert, my first.  I am already quite nervous about this.  So, I haven't worn a dress/skirt in...oh...20 years or so.  I also have pasty white, heavy legs (I am a definite Plus Size Mama!) with a few broken veins that may or may not be all that visible.  Totally self-conscious, but going to do it anyway!

However, should I wear nylons?  I mean, I am mayonnaise...totally.  I know almost no one does, but wondering if a nude pair would be appropriate or...???

I sure appreciate any helpful comments!  I feel like a fool even posting this, not my usual type of post as I normally keep it to schooly stuff!  

How long is your skirt? If it's longish and you'll only be flashing a few inches of pasty (I have the same problem, and spider veins, too =-O ), I'd probably vote against itchy, hot nylons under the stage lights...

... especially if the other ladies have pasty, white legs, too.

If your legs are like mine, it's near the joints where the worst "ugly" occurs, so with bobby socks covering the ankles, and hopefully, the skirt covering the knees, I'd opt for physical comfort myself.

Please don't laugh at me, I am totally out of my element already and just need a little opinion/advice.

I have to dress in a poodle skirt for a Sweet Adelines concert, my first.  I am already quite nervous about this.  So, I haven't worn a dress/skirt in...oh...20 years or so.  I also have pasty white, heavy legs (I am a definite Plus Size Mama!) with a few broken veins that may or may not be all that visible.  Totally self-conscious, but going to do it anyway!

However, should I wear nylons?  I mean, I am mayonnaise...totally.  I know almost no one does, but wondering if a nude pair would be appropriate or...???

I sure appreciate any helpful comments!  I feel like a fool even posting this, not my usual type of post as I normally keep it to schooly stuff!  

you could wear nylons under the white ankle socks and saddle shoes.   do you have a nice pale short sleeve sweater and graduated pearl necklace?  if your hair long enough for a pony tail?  very '50's.

I *always* wear hose with dressy dresses, which is to say that unless I'm wearing strappy sandals, I'm wearing hose. To wear shoes that are mostly closed (and that includes open toes and sling backs) without hose is just wrong. And it makes your feet feel nasty, too. You need that little bit of fabric between your skin and the shoe to help moisture evaporate, and to keep your skin from sticking to the shoe such that you get blisters. Blech.

But you're wearing bobbie socks. Why would you also wear hose? :confused1:  If you were wearing the poodle skirt and *not* bobbie socks, then absolutely, you should wear hose. What kind of shoes are you wearing?

AMDG

Hmmm, this is interesting . . . I'm about the whitest person I know - really! - the whitest! I have a naturally very fair complexion AND I'm pretty much a shade seeker when I'm out . . . Mostly b/c my skin color choices are white or red.

I wear knee-length skirts all.the.time and I never, ever wear stockings. Ever!

I'm rather torn here. On the one hand I'm coming away with the impression that the world thinks I should be wearing stockings. Eww! I hate them! Still, the thought that everyone I know may be inwardly groaning every time I enter the room is not pleasant.

On the other hand, I DO NOT like the look of stockings. It is so artificial looking most of the time. Aside from that, they are so doggonedly uncomfortable.

I think the world is just going to have to live with my neon whiteness b/c I am comfortable in my skin and do not care to spend my life in something I find so hideously uncomfortable. That is probably my age speaking. I can say that at almost 50, at 20 I'm sure I'd have sung a different tune.

I think that you should not worry about the fairness of your complexion and just get your cute on and have a good time.

Wear what makes you comfortable.  Nude nylons under bobby socks and shoes are totally okay, especially for a performance.  It's also okay to forgo the nylons and use some sort of leg makeup or self-tanner.  Or just wear the skirt, socks and shoes, and let everyone else get over the view of your legs, which they probably aren't going to notice anyway (really, if I'm watching a group sing I'm enjoying the music, not critiquing their body parts).

Can you ask some of the other ladies what they typically wear?  Sometimes knowing that I fit into the "average" look helps me feel more comfortable.

I would ask the other ladies in your group what they plan to wear.  You want to blend in with the group, and if they are all doing one thing and you another, you'll stand out more.  I'm sure others have faced this problem!  

If you do choose to wear something, you might consider dance tights.  Brands like Capezio and Bloch make more-or-less skin-colored tights, which dancers and other performers wear.  They are much sturdier than regular pantyhose, and will hold up for many more performances.  If you will be on stage, most people in the audience won't be able to tell you are wearing them, unless the shade is way different than your skin tone.  One place to look would be discountdance.com.  

An aside, if you need saddle oxford shoes but don't want to shell out the considerable $ for a one time event, this is what we did for dd two years ago, for a 50's costume. We bought a knock-off pair of "Keds" at a local dollar store and then I used black fabric/leather paint from the craft store to paint the right sections black. I also used a brick red color to paint around the rubber sole. I was shocked at how good they looked and how well the reddish paint stayed on the sole. Anyway...a good, inexpensive simulated "saddle shoe".

AMDG

Hmmm, this is interesting . . . I'm about the whitest person I know - really! - the whitest! I have a naturally very fair complexion AND I'm pretty much a shade seeker when I'm out . . . Mostly b/c my skin color choices are white or red.

I wear knee-length skirts all.the.time and I never, ever wear stockings. Ever!

I'm rather torn here. On the one hand I'm coming away with the impression that the world thinks I should be wearing stockings. Eww! I hate them! Still, the thought that everyone I know may be inwardly groaning every time I enter the room is not pleasant.

On the other hand, I DO NOT like the look of stockings. It is so artificial looking most of the time. Aside from that, they are so doggonedly uncomfortable.

I think the world is just going to have to live with my neon whiteness b/c I am comfortable in my skin and do not care to spend my life in something I find so hideously uncomfortable. That is probably my age speaking. I can say that at almost 50, at 20 I'm sure I'd have sung a different tune.

I think that you should not worry about the fairness of your complexion and just get your cute on and have a good time.

I don't wear stockings anymore - and I'm also very fair.  I don't have to dress for a professional business office either.  I don't like the feel of most socks - not just stockings.  open toed shoes means toenail polish  . . . . . ;p