Menu

Geometry with Video Instruction?

I'm looking for a good Geometry curriculum that includes video instruction and can be used independently, preferably not super expensive! I'd really like to hear what you like AND what you haven't liked, and why!

Long story short (and yes, repeated from a couple of previous posts, but I can't make up my mind. And I NEED to make up my mind, it's October for heaven's sake), my son has been using LOF from pre-algebra through Advanced algebra. Now we have decided to switch to something different, and he prefers something he can use independently with video, not just textbook. He's had a bare minimum of Geometry to prepare for the PSAT (including the SAT Math Review, which used Cool Math Guy) but we haven't actually started full geometry.

I've briefly looked at Holt Geometry and Chalkdust but I'd like to know more about how both of these work with an independent learner (and a mom who can't remember math anymore). My son tends to grasp math concepts pretty easily, thank goodness. We also used TT for Math 7 years ago, and I know they have a new version but I don't want to pay that much, and I've heard in the past they aren't as good as some of the other math programs?

Suggestions please!

• 3 months later...

Cool Math Guy is Chalkdust...at least it's the same guy!

I have TT Geometry, but it's really not that in-depth (IMHO).  I use it as an intro (actually, we run Algebra concurrently with Geometry...my 12 yo dd is taking Foerster's Algebra 1 with TT Geometry...3 days on each.  Next year, she'll do Algebra 2 with Jacob's Geometry).

Jacob's is a much better text than TT, and it seems pretty straightforward.

Lisa

MUS Geometry covers pretty much only the geometry needed for ACT/SAT testing. It can be done in a semester completely independently. If you want more depth than that… well, don't use MUS :). 

TT Geometry gets the best reviews of all the TT levels, but I haven't used it. For video based instruction there are always Thinkwell and Chalkdust. 

Cool Math Guy is Chalkdust...at least it's the same guy!

I have TT Geometry, but it's really not that in-depth (IMHO).  I use it as an intro (actually, we run Algebra concurrently with Geometry...my 12 yo dd is taking Foerster's Algebra 1 with TT Geometry...3 days on each.  Next year, she'll do Algebra 2 with Jacob's Geometry).

Jacob's is a much better text than TT, and it seems pretty straightforward.

Lisa

As another poster has said TT Geometry is probably the best level they offer. There may be more in-depth programs but it's solid and straightforward. It is also expensive, unless you can borrow it. I have lent mine out for years now. ;)

I will have to disagree strongly about Jacob's being straightforward, at least the third edition. The third edition is discovery-based and may not be the best choice for kids who think outside the box. It seems quite a few kids make the change from TT to Jacobs for this reason. Recent posts about Jacobs' second edition say that edition is much more straightforward.