Menu

Transcripts and Taking an Extra Year

So, we did a "combined" 7th and 8th year, and let DD start 9th a year early. That would put us in 10th now. She is struggling with the work load and wasn't really emotionally ready I don't think to start highschool early.

I have toyed with the idea of just calling this 9th and taking that extra year back. I am worried though about how this would show on a transcript. Last year we did AlgI, US History, and some other things that need to be on her transcript. Would it be wrong to just combine those things with this year?

Otherwise, how would we show that work without it looking bad that we are taking an extra year?

Thanks!

I would suggest for now just list it as the school year- 2012- 2013, etc. decide in a year or two. Kids change fast in High School.

Well, I need to decide what we are doing so I know how to finish scheduling this year plus future years.  But I won't even consider it if it will ruin her transcript.

A sample transcript I have from a friend only lists courses completed and grades, not years.  My 14yod will be taking at least 1/2 a year "extra" if not an entire year.  I intend to list all high school courses she has completed despite the extra year.

That's a good idea!

A sample transcript I have from a friend only lists courses completed and grades, not years. My 14yod will be taking at least 1/2 a year "extra" if not an entire year. I intend to list all high school courses she has completed despite the extra year.

You do have to check with colleges to see if that will work though. Some do want it listed by year.

I've seen lots of people put a column for 8th grade or just put the classes with 9th grade. I don't think it's wrong, she did the work and should get credit.

I listed 8th grade courses with an asterisk above the 9th grade year.  I only included the ones I thought mattered, Algebra I, US History, and Chemistry.

Maybe you could write up her transcript now in two ways. One, with her in 10th grade now and see what it looks like. One with this year being 9th and last year 8th.

And look to see how many courses you would have to asterisk in.

With the exception of US history and a science, you might not have any real problems.

Hmm, another post I read said the Common App requires them listed by year. Is that true?

Do you just add it to 9th grade then? But then 9th will look really heavy.

My ds applied via CA. I uploaded his transcript with 6.5 credits from before 9th grade. He had 4.5 math credits, a physics credit, and a for lang credit. The only caveat I would give is that he also has math and science every yr in 9th up and 5 additional for lang credits.

Fwiw, here is a link that shows how I formatted his transcript.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/479266-how-do-i-list-this-transcript-question/?p=5057980

Well, I need to decide what we are doing so I know how to finish scheduling this year plus future years.  But I won't even consider it if it will ruin her transcript.

I would not let her transcript be the determining factor --  if she is not ready, she's not ready.  I do agree with others that you could easily add a line to her transcript stating the courses that she had taken prior to ninth grade.

Regards,

Kareni

I would not let her transcript be the determining factor --  if she is not ready, she's not ready.  I do agree with others that you could easily add a line to her transcript stating the courses that she had taken prior to ninth grade.

Regards,

Kareni

I would agree if this was going-down-in-flames not ready, but we are more this-is-really-rushed-and stressfull-and-not-what-we-want-homeschooling-to-be kind of not ready. She is getting through the work, but it is difficult. Not just difficult, but week after week...it is making our lives difficult. There is a lot of stress and a lot of meltdowns. The only other time we had this many meltdowns was in 5th grade when we were using Saxon 6/7. She could do the math, but boy did we all pay! So we changed!

My philosophy is an importance on the education, but with a priority on her also developing as a person and happily within our family. So I don't want to compromise her education, but our general happiness and family life are important also. We are tilted a little far toward the education causing negative feelings and overrunning everything right now.

So I could still say, "We will power through this..." and we probably could. But I'm starting to feel like it wouldn't leave room or emotional energy for some of the other important things in life that I want her to be learning right now.

I think it being stressful is reason enough, so long as it's what you both think is right. My dd had personal issues in what was supposed to be 9th grade and since she's always been a bit younger than the other kids in her grade level, she didn't mind calling that 8th grade and making this year 9th. The year has just begun, but she's already much happier with more time to study fun subjects and time for scouts etc.

Again, I've seen public schools and lots of other homeschoolers give high school credit for advanced 8th grade courses, so I doubt that will ever pose a problem.

My DD was in public school in 8th grade, but took Algebra I and French I for high school credit.  Those courses now appear on her (private school) transcript as completed high school courses that were taken in 8th grade.  So, having some 8th grade courses appear on a high school transcript is not unusual.