Menu

Anyone watching the World Series?

AlmiraGulch

We love Rosie! And Martinez is a beast, too! Our bullpen is pretty awesome, even with Motte injured.

I was amused by Kozma, too. It was obvious he was trying to redeem himself after the previous night's debacle. I really do like him, errors and all...DH and I were there the night of his very first major league at-bat in 2011!

I don't think I'd want to stand up there with Martinez throwing that ball at me, lol! I have visions of Randy Johnson nailing a bird with a pitch many years ago...

I think I was at Jon Jay's first game (or at least home game). They had his name spelled wrong all over the Jumbotrons and whatnot, but I guess they didn't have time to fix it before his at-bat.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something about Jon Jay rubs me the wrong way.  Every time I happen to see him it seems he's screwing somthing up and I'm always shouting at the TV that he's the worst center fielder in all of major league baseball. 

Yeah, I'm a bit extreme when it comes to my teams. 

That game last night was fun to watch, though.  I'm looking forward to the red stands on Saturday night!

I like Jon Jay as a person, but as a ballplayer, he can be very frustrating. Last week, KSDK put out a tweet saying something like, "Congrats, Jon Jay, on catching that fly ball." I thought it was hilarious, probably because it's kind of true, but they of course apologized for it 10 minutes later. The outfield as a whole isn't that great, though...looking at our defensive stats, I'm a little surprised we made it to the World Series. Then again, we have Yadi, and he covers a multitude of sins!

I like Jon Jay as a person, but as a ballplayer, he can be very frustrating. Last week, KSDK put out a tweet saying something like, "Congrats, Jon Jay, on catching that fly ball." I thought it was hilarious, probably because it's kind of true, but they of course apologized for it 10 minutes later. The outfield as a whole isn't that great, though...looking at our defensive stats, I'm a little surprised we made it to the World Series. Then again, we have Yadi, and he covers a multitude of sins!

Yadi is a great player and an awesome human being!  When he was in Colorado playing against the Rockies, he gave some pointers to Rosario (the Rockies young catcher).  That is classy! :D

Something about Jon Jay rubs me the wrong way.  Every time I happen to see him it seems he's screwing somthing up and I'm always shouting at the TV that he's the worst center fielder in all of major league baseball. 

Yeah, I'm a bit extreme when it comes to my teams. 

That game last night was fun to watch, though.  I'm looking forward to the red stands on Saturday night!

What about David Ortiz?  He is the only person I know of who took his bat and destroyed another team's dugout phone just because he was called out on strikes.  That's real classy... NOT!

What about David Ortiz?  He is the only person I know of who took his bat and destroyed another team's dugout phone just because he was called out on strikes.  That's real classy... NOT!

Yea, but he also hits grand-slams to save games (and a series) in incredibly clutch situations. He's a pretty extraordinary batsman. Phones can be fixed :D

I'm very impressed with the Red Sox. The series against Detroit (another outstanding and worthy team) was exciting.

For me, it would have great sentimental meaning to see my late-father's beloved Cardinals take it this year. So I'm rooting for the Cards, while knowing they have a heck of a team to beat in those Red Sox.

Bill

Yea, but he also hits grand-slams to save games (and a series) in incredibly clutch situations. He's a pretty extraordinary batsman. Phones can be fixed :D

I'm very impressed with the Red Sox. The series against Detroit (another outstanding and worthy team) was exciting.

For me, it would have great sentimental meaning to see my late-father's beloved Cardinals take it this year. So I'm rooting for the Cards, while knowing they have a heck of a team to beat in those Red Sox.

Bill

And the Red Sox have a heck of a team to beat in those Cardinals!  We did have the exact same record coming into the post season.  

He's a jerk.  I wasn't really talking more about ability on the field, though.  Meaning, to me he sometimes seems out of place on such a stellar team.  That's what rubs me the wrong way.  He's no Big Papi, for sure.  Thankfully.  

Although.....I wish he would play more like Big Papi sometimes.  I'm not gonna lie.

Bill

Phone can be fixed, but I can't get myself to root for a player who has that bad of a temper.  He needs to grow up and stop acting like a spoiled toddler.

Phone can be fixed, but I can't get myself to root for a player who has that bad of a temper.  He needs to grow up and stop acting like a spoiled toddler.

All I know is I sit up with greater attention every time he steps up to home plate, and boy has he delivered. I'm willing to cut the dude some serious slack :p

Bill

I'm actually going to miss much of this game.  I promised DD10 I'd take her to this local Halloween festival thing.  I was planning to go when it starts, at 4:00 pm, but DH wants us to wait til he gets home from work at 7:00!  

I can actually watch TV on my phone, though, if I get desperate.  haha

Wow, that was nuts!!  I heard it on the radio as we were coming back from Rebecca's meet and it was hard to tell what the heck happened at first!  We got home and I ran to turn on the TV and see replays. They need to quit  talking about "intent" with Middlebrooks lifting his legs.  Dude just faceplanted to try to field a ball, I'm pretty sure his next  thought wasn't, "Let's trip Craig!"

Tim McCarver and Joe Buck gave a very detailed explanation why this call followed the rules.  Basically if a defense player obstructs a base runner, whether it is intentional or not, the runner gets to advance to the next plate, which in this case was home plate.  They said the umpires absolutely made the right call.

Tim McCarver and Joe Buck gave a very detailed explanation why this call followed the rules.  Basically if a defense player obstructs a base runner, whether it is intentional or not, the runner gets to advance to the next plate, which in this case was home plate.  They said the umpires absolutely made the right call.

Yep. You can't argue it.

It was the right call, without a doubt.  I'd say the same even if I were rooting for the other team.  

I was going to post the official rule and try to explain it based on what happened on the field last night, but these pros on HardBallTalk.com do it better.  It's clear as day that the right call was made.  And "intent" doesn't matter when the obstruction rule is applied.  It's not like a personal foul call in football.  

Anyway, it's a really quick read, in case anyone is interested. 

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/27/more-on-rule-7-06-obstruction/

How could it be the 2/3 baseline if Craig tripped over him going from 3rd to home?

And unless Craig's base running was illegal (it wasn't), it doesn't matter where or how Middlebrooks was laying - Craig's legal base running was obstructed. No one from the Red Sox was arguing that it wasn't obstruction, only that the umpire should have ignored the rule and not called it at the end of a World Series game. While I understand the frustration, if it had been a Red Sox runner and obstruction not called, Farrell would have been out of the dugout and in Joyce's face, and rightfully so.

The only legit argument I could see is whether Craig could have truly made it home safely without the obstruction. But you would have to take his injury into account and I don't think that's within the rule guidelines. A non-injured baserunner could have made it, and I think that's what the ruling is based on.

FWIW, I was yelling at the TV in Game 1 for them to reverse the blown call on Kozma's dropped ball, even though the original call was in the Cards favor. Yet Matheny was still right to come out to argue the reversal. Baseball is a funny game.

I still disagree with the call. Middlebrooks obstructed the 2/3rd baseline, not 3/home. Terrible call.

That's what I saw too.  Middlebrooks would have caught that ball, but Craig tripped him.  Then, while Middlebrooks was still down, Craig got tripped himself.  I get that the second was obstruction and that it supposedly doesn't matter why...  but why wasn't Craig tripping Middlebrooks obstruction?  That was what started the whole chain of events.

If you actually watched what Middlebrooks did... Craig tried to step over him so he could go home and Middlebrooks LIFTED his legs making Craig fall down.  He claimed he was trying to get up.  I've never seen anyone get up off the ground that way.  It was just an excuse for his behavior.

All I know is I sit up with greater attention every time he steps up to home plate, and boy has he delivered. I'm willing to cut the dude some serious slack :p

Bill

You and I clearly have a different perspective of what is and isn't appropriate behavior for an ADULT.  I don't care if he is the best player in the entire universe, he should still be held accountable for his actions like any other adult would.

That's what I saw too. Middlebrooks would have caught that ball, but Craig tripped him. Then, while Middlebrooks was still down, Craig got tripped himself. I get that the second was obstruction and that it supposedly doesn't matter why... but why wasn't Craig tripping Middlebrooks obstruction? That was what started the whole chain of events.

Obstruction is only ruled against the defensive side. Making contact with a fielder standing in front of the bag on a slide is not interference. It happens in nearly every double play.

When Craig went into third, Middlebrooks was part of the play. When Middlebrooks missed the ball, he was no longer part of the play and the contact was obstruction.

Had the ball stayed close by where he could have grabbed it himself, he would have still been part of the play and I doubt obstruction would have been called.

The problem was Saltalamacchia's wide throw to third. He wouldn't have gotten Craig and never should have thrown that ball.

Saltalamacchia

What a magnificent name! I would consider at least listening to play-by-play were all players similarly monikered.

Not that anyone could ever surpass HÃ¥kan Looooooob. *sigh*

That's what I saw too.  Middlebrooks would have caught that ball, but Craig tripped him.  Then, while Middlebrooks was still down, Craig got tripped himself.  I get that the second was obstruction and that it supposedly doesn't matter why...  but why wasn't Craig tripping Middlebrooks obstruction?  That was what started the whole chain of events.

Because that's not what the rule is about at all.  The rule is about an infielder impeding a runner's ability to get to a base.  That's what happened here.  What happened in that game is actually the exact example that MLB rule book gives as an example of obstruction. 

If you actually watched what Middlebrooks did... Craig tried to step over him so he could go home and Middlebrooks LIFTED his legs making Craig fall down.  He claimed he was trying to get up.  I've never seen anyone get up off the ground that way.  It was just an excuse for his behavior.

I don't think it was intentional, but it doesn't matter anyway.  Intent is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to this rule.  It doesn't matter if anyone likes the rule or not (and I know you agree with me here, so this is a general statement), the rule was properly applied. 

You and I clearly have a different perspective of what is and isn't appropriate behavior for an ADULT.  I don't care if he is the best player in the entire universe, he should still be held accountable for his actions like any other adult would.

He's a jerk, but that doesn't have anything to do with his ability to deliver at the plate. 

You and I clearly have a different perspective of what is and isn't appropriate behavior for an ADULT. I don't care if he is the best player in the entire universe, he should still be held accountable for his actions like any other adult would.

Guess you didn't care for Babe Ruth either?

Bill