Menu

square plates....

kfeusse

I like them well enough, but I think they are a fad -- like avocado green appliances and bathroom sinks shaped like sea shells. I'm not interested in spending money on something that is going to leave me chagrined in 20 years. If I get a new set of dishes this decade, they are going to be round, in spite of the fad.

fad....good point.  I am looking for new dishes...and I am just not sure what I want...we have corelle and altough I LOVE how light they are, how little space they take up...I just can't fall in love with any of the patterns...I like the look of stoneware, but they are so heavy and bulky...guess I can't get the best of both worlds, can I? sigh!!!

I'm having the same Correlle issue: I have a full set but I want new dishes because my personal taste no longer runs to blue roses. I do want Corelle, because of its features, but, the patterns are just so not grabbing me. I won't buy square, and I've been keeping an eye out for years to see if the bring out anything I actually like in the round. I'm just picky I guess. Blue roses for another few years (at least) for me!

I have a set of tempered glass ones that I like. I like them because it makes it easier for my food to not touch. I don't like things to touch that aren't cooked together and my kids prefer it that way too. Our square ones fit much more food than our regular round plates. I was surprised by how big they were since I thought they'd be normal sized. I mean, if you have a circular plate with a diameter of 10, you'll have a surface area of about 78in, but if it were square with 10in sides, you get 100in.

I like the look of them, but I also think they're a fad.  I'm in the market for new dishes (or, i.e. I keep hinting to dh that I'd like some for xmas ;)  ), but I think I would prefer round because I don't buy dishes very often -- maybe once a decade or less?

We have this set from walmart. I like the mugs, and the salad plates are just the right size for dinner plates. I don't like the dinner plates--they're huge. I usually only use them as serving plates. And the bowls are too big so you end up putting more food in than you can eat because it doesn't look like there's that much in there. Also they're so big they take extra space in the dishwasher. :thumbdown:

I think I need to get rid of those bowls. I now have a stash of Corelle bowls (clearance at Kroger!) and we mostly use those.

Anyway, what I like about square plates is it seems easier to partition the food into its own corner. Silly, I know, but some people around here don't like their food to touch and it seems to touch less on square plates. :tongue_smilie:

it's a pretty set...and thanks for the information about the size of the plates and bowls...it is hard to know when you are looking online, especially...but I wrote down the sizes of the different items and now I can at least compare it to others I look at.

The dishwasher issue is the other thing I am concerned about...how certain plates/bowls fit....

How long have square plates been a fad?

I'm asking because we got a set for our wedding over 8 years ago and usually we are years behind a fad (which would be why I'm asking how long they've been a fad ;) 

I don't mind them. We only have the small plates and the bowls (the large plates were enormous). I dislike the bowls but they do stack better than some other dishes we've had. I'd super cheap so I don't plan on buying any more but have considered it. Once the kids get a bit older we will need more dishes.

I love them.  I just think they are pretty.

Granted, none of our plates are square.  :)  I have fiesta ware.  I don't know if I'd get square plates since what I already have is round - I just feel like they wouldn't store as well, some square, some round.  If I did square stuff I'd do all of it.

How's that for too much detail in the thought and practicality of it?  :lol:

I have been shopping around to replace my dishware with all white. I like the round dinner plates but also like the square salad plates. I think a smaller square plate would be much more functional than a dinner-sized one. I'm pretty sure I'll mix 'em up like that when buying time comes.

I had no idea they were a fad. We bought them a) because the village hardware store had them and b) because they fit into our cupboard a little more neatly.

We also have round plates (again, what the store had when we needed more). Both sets are plain white Corelle so they actually look fine together in a serving.

We replaced our old fiestaware with all white dishes and got a variety of shapes and sizes, including square. We only got salad and dessert size plates because I think the dinner plates are just too huge to be practical. I love the way the square plates look, and dh the chef likes the different presentations he can do with them. The only downside I've found is they have a lip that makes them a bit tricky to fit in the dishwasher. They will fit, but only one way so it limits what else I can put in with them.

I'm having the same Correlle issue: I have a full set but I want new dishes because my personal taste no longer runs to blue roses. I do want Corelle, because of its features, but, the patterns are just so not grabbing me. I won't buy square, and I've been keeping an eye out for years to see if the bring out anything I actually like in the round. I'm just picky I guess. Blue roses for another few years (at least) for me!

I like plain white Corelle. The appeal of square plates for me is that they are a "fitted" shape. Our round Corelle dinner plates don't fit in our dishwasher except in 3 specific places, so right now I'm hoping our dishwasher will die so I have an excuse to get a new one that we can use for dinner plates. :D

I am curious, what set of tempered glass ddinnerware do you have?

We have this brand: http://www.amazon.com/Tango-2-Inch-Square-Tempered-Plate/dp/B003VQRZ30/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1382560929&sr=1-1&keywords=tempered+plates

Ours are not the clear, and they were not that pricey because they were from the amazon outlet. If I was shopping again, I'd go for the clear because ours have gotten a little scratched and it wouldn't show up on the clear. I love them because the kids haven't broken anything in the years of hard use and because they can go in the oven for quick reheats, in the freezer, and DS even stuck one on the stove top and didn't kill it. They are big and I'd probably go for a smaller size but they stack up so much more nicely in the cabinets. I have 12 plates that take up far less space than the 6 round plates that we still have. We have tempered glass bowls as well, however, and they also take up far less space than the pfaltzgraff ones MIL gave me. It might be the glass rather than the shape that makes ours so compact.