Menu

where are your cookies stored??

kfeusse

this may seem like a really silly question...but I am asking anyway.

My family loves homemade cookies and so I usually always have some on hand.  In my old kitchen the cookie jars sat on my countertop, but now that I am having my new kitchen built and it is nearly done, the question of where the cookie jars are going to go has come up.  They will be a HUGE eye sore ON my countertop (not to mention my ultimate plan is to keep my countertop fairly clean), I am not sure where to put them.  I am actually toying with the idea of getting rid of the jars and storing the cookies in something less breakable and putting them in a cabinet, but I am not sure. 

I also have this really cool looking old set of those jars that penny candy used to be in (in those old general stores)...the ones that sort of sit on their side....these actually are in a wooden stand of sorts....and would look good on the countertop (once I refinish the wood)....I have 4 jars, so I could put other fun snacky type food in there too...don't know...but of course that doesn't go along with keeping the countertops clean of stuff.

thoughts???

Personally, I think a few things on the countertop make the kitchen look homey and not as "cold and sterile." YMMV

We don't have a cookie jar, so when we have them, cookies get stored in the cabinet.

(Aaand my first answer to Where do you store your cookies? was On the computer!  Lame, huh?)

I typically store them in my stomach.

Seriously, I don't understand you people that have cookies last more than 1 night!

On the off chance I haven't eaten them all, I keep them in a large glass jar from Joanns. The square glass ones with the metal lids

Ours is - there's a thick rubber seal under the lid that really holds it to the base. I've never had a problem with cookies lasting 5-7 days in it, which is about how long they last before they're eaten here. I haven't had a problem with them going stale. It holds quite a bit, too.

Are jars like that airtight?

I typically store them in my stomach.

Seriously, I don't understand you people that have cookies last more than 1 night!

On the off chance I haven't eaten them all, I keep them in a large glass jar from Joanns. The square glass ones with the metal lids

AMDG

That is me (and mine) all over! However, most things like that go in some variously sized mason jar and into the pantry.

Sorry that I can't post a picture; however, I'll describe best as I can.  In the kitchen, in two different sites along the same wall, stand two American colonial-style, solid maple, short-height chests of drawers.  Atop each chest stands a bookcase (with open space beneath the lowest shelf) from the same suite of furniture.  The drawers are used for tablecloths, kitchen towels, and one set of spare flatware.  The bookcases hold a large portion of my cookbooks collection.  In front of the bookcase on one of the chests, stand four large clear glass canisters from Walmart.  (Each would hold the contents of a 5 lb. sack of sugar or flour with some spare space remaining.)  Two contain crackers, one contains vegan cookies, the other contains non-vegan cookies.   

Oddly, perhaps, I receive compliments on how all this looks.

We store them in a ziploc bag in the freezer if there is a significant number. If it's a dozen or less, then in a tupperware on the counter until they're gone (anywhere from an hour to the next day). In the freezer makes them last longer--you have to eat them slower because they're frozen and harder to chew (but not impossible). We tend to eat one at a time instead of 3. Good for those of us trying to eat healthy too. Also, out of sight, out of mind.

Usually the last tray of cookies is left on the cooling rack for people to finish off that day.  Anything left goes on a dinner plate, covered with wrap and is left on the plate stack in the pantry.  Only big people get into the main dishes (we hand dd6 plates if she is setting the table) so it isn't a big deal to lift it aside when we need a plate.

This also helps to keep them 'out of site, out of mind'.