Menu

Now I'm stuck ... neurotic, too, about choosing a laptop

RoughCollie

I have chosen 3 laptops -- 2 Lenovos and an Asus.  Both have a lot of memory and the touch screen for which Windows 8 was allegedly designed.  They are about the same price.

I linked to Amazon merely because I am storing the computers in my cart there instead of writing the model numbers down on paper.

Asus Vivobook  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7K0ZG6/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LWKTZF2T3VLM

Lenovo G500s   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRXZUCG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1U9HDFCZO1A84

Lenovo IdeaPad Z580   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZZ61Z4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3GLCYUIPYO5GJ

BUT I have been reading about problems with both.  Lenovo consistantly has reviews which say that their computers for consumers  have a problem with dropping their wireless connections.  Some people don't have that problem.  However, it is definitely one that will send me into a screaming fit.  I have 4 teenagers, and I don't need more frustration. 

The one by Asus randomly shuts down on some people.

Plus, overall, the online reviews about the Asus are better than the ones about the Lenovos.  I checked lots of sites, not just Amazon.

Also, I'm worried about the graphics cards in these computers.   The Asus has Intel GMA HD and the Lenovos have Intel HD Graphics 4000.  Which one is better?  Does it matter, since I don't play games like World of Warcraft and Runescape?

So, I'm at an impasse because I want to be *sure* the darned computer will work properly without me having to call customer service or return it or get it repaired.

I can't afford to replace it if something goes badly wrong with it and the company won't fix it.

I can afford to buy a Square Trade warranty for it.

What should I do?  If left to my own devices (ha, kind of a pun!), I will dither about it until the cows come home.

Thanks,

RC

FWIW, I have had an Asus.  My dd has Lenovo.  Currently I have a Toshiba.

I loved my Asus.  It was fast - especially for a laptop.  I dropped it over and over and over and it kept on ticking... until like the 20th drop and then the harddrive couldn't take it anymore - but it still chugged through so that I could transfer the files to the Toshiba - which I hate.  Toshiba's AMD processor doesn't work well with Windows 8 and I have to keep reminding the drivers that they work - it's a big PITA.  Good think you aren't looking at a Toshiba.

My dd's Lenovo is a work horse.  She's had it for about a year and it has yet to give her problems.

We lose internet connection on both of our laptops occasionally for seemingly no reason.  Our connection is still there - we just have to reconnect to the wifi.  It's very odd.

Also, I'm NOT A FAN of windows 8.  But that's not what you asked.  And there is not thing 1 you can do about anyway.

So, IMO, either the Asus or the Lenovo would be a good choice.

Thank you, Katherine. 

There is a Window 8 book for dummies at the library.  I plan to work my way through that -- I figure it's probably an okay OS if I learn how to use it rather than jumping in with the trial and error method as I usually do.

My ds13 got a laptop for his birthday (not a touch screen) and he really likes Windows 8.  He's had experience with everything from Windows 95 through Windows 7.

FWIW, we have 2 Lenovos and we're pleased with them.  One is ds14's and one is a general laptop for the boys.  That one is 2 years old and they haven't killed it yet.  

Microsoft has released Windows 8.1 

I suggest that you buy something with Windows 8.1 on it, or, that you are guaranteed a FREE upgrade to Windows 8.1

No experience with Laptops (stepson has a Dell Laptop he uses on our home network), so I suggest that you get something with a money back guarantee, if you don't like it.  GL

P.S.

Normally, those extended warranties are expensive and not too useful. However, if I were going to buy a laptop and it covered everything, I would read it carefully and possibly buy it. Laptops are very fragile.

ETA: If you can get something with Windows 7 on it, IMHO, that would be much better for you, unless you are buying something with a Touch Screen and need Windows 8.1.  DD has a PC with Windows 7 on it, probably one of the last ones Dell built with Windows 7. 

Mergath, I like the Asus better, but it costs a lot more.  I ended up buying a Lenovo Z400 refurbished for $450, which with tax was $472.  I just couldn't bring myself to spend more than that. The laptops I like cost well over $1,000, which is unfortunate.

This one has a touch screen and Windows 8, and there is a free upgrade to Windows 8.1.  I figure it will be the laptop I learn this newfangled Windows OS on.

This one has 6 GB memory, Intel Core i5, an optical drive, and Bluetooth.  It will do for now.