Menu

Would you spay a pregnant cat?

Aura

A cat adopted us about a week ago. She's a very sweet, gentle kitty. She's obviously recently weaned a litter a kittens, and we're pretty sure that one of my neighbors adopted one of her kittens. I have plans on getting her spayed very soon because I know that cats come back into heat pretty quick after having kittens. Except that I'm beginning to think that she's already pregnant. :glare:

I don't relish the thought of raising a litter of kittens. My kids have already fallen in love with "Jenny." The first day when the kids thought we wouldn't be able to keep her, my ds (5 yrs) told me his heart was breaking. :001_wub: I know they're not going to like having to give up the kittens, but we are not keeping any of them. Dh is not an animal person AT ALL and we are already up to two dogs and now two cats, with rabbits and bees in the near future. (poor dh....he really didn't know what he was getting himself into when he married me :lol: ). And this means we will have to find homes for all of them.

Anyway, she's not even far enough along for me to be certain, but I feel like she is pregnant. I trust my instincts on this, so I'm going to proceed as if she is. I COULD go ahead and have Jenny spayed, so there would be no kittens to worry about...but I'm a little squeamish about that.  I need some perspective, so in this situation, what would you do?

I don't prefer it, but if she is just at the beginning, then yes I would do it. I've worked in rescue long enough. More kittens born are definitely not needed.  You'll be doing mama cat a favor too.  Longer, more peaceful life, and better health since she's not having to raise litters back to back.

first of all is she named from Jenny and the Cat Club?

You need to call a vet right away as I don't know if the vet will spay a cat that is pregnant.  I honestly don't know if they will, however one of our cats  had an infection when we took her in to be spayed so they canceled the spaying and then she went into heat.  Our vet would not spay her while she was in heat so we kept a close watch on her and as soon as she went out of heat, she got spayed.

I would not spay a pregnant cat-- too much chance for bleeding and complications.

I have, however given a pet a shot to end the pregnancy (if it is not too far along) then proceeded to spay the animal later.   This was however for the sake of the animals health (it was a very young dog that bred with a larger breed).

Yes, I would do it, as long as the vet said it was ok for that particular cat. The world does not need more kittens.

FWIW, my vet will spay a pregnant cat. I've actually seen it done. In the cases I observed, the procedure wasn't much different than any other and the cats recovered just the same as all the rest.

It is not something I would do normally but have done it once. We had a cat that was pregnant so we let her have the kittens. We thought that when she weaned them we would get her spayed. However she was pregnant again very soon after. So we let her have the second litter planning to do the same again. Before the 2nd batch had even found homes this cat was pregnant again.... We took her to the vet then...much as we hated to do it. It was obvious we were no good at catching her between litters and we didn't feel up to dealing with a 3rd set of kittens in a year.

So yes I think there are many circumstances where it is the right thing to do.

Yep - I've had it done with no qualms. My vet realized right away that the stray who had adopted me was pregnant, and she was glad to have me agree to taking care of everything at once. The world doesn't need any more kittens; I volunteer at an adoption center, and I can attest to the over-population problem. :(

No. We voted on the name. I don't remember which kid came up w/ that one. But Jenny won the vote. I liked S'mores (She's white w/ some black.) or River. :001_smile:

Anyway, I didn't think about the risk of bleeding or complications. (Should have!!) But I would feel terrible if something happened to her. I was going to take her to the spay/neuter clinic at the humane society. They do spay pregnant cats because there's an additional fee for this. I took my female puppy there, and they were great. I liked them MUCH better than the vet I took our other cat to.

I was trying to avoid the cost of a vet visit. (I give my animals their shots.) But I may just have to take her in for a visit to see if it's a good idea or not. <_<

Yes, our dog was spayed pregnant. She came into the shelter pregnant, and was due very soon so she was on "the chopping block". They simply couldn't have another 4-10 new dogs.

She is a purebred lab, and the Best Dog Ever.

She recovered just fine, a spay is never an easy procedure, and I believe a bit trickier if the animal is in heat or pregnant (your vet may charge more). Ours was the same package price with adoption, pregnant or not. Be sure to tell the vet this a stray you are taking in- I've rescued a gazillion cats and once had a vet in Colorado that gave me a hefty discount when she heard. Our apartments were cat dumping grounds, I rehomeds all but one, a (now) geriatric, mean thing no one wanted. She was spayed at a discount all those years ago! So it's worth a shot, anyway.

Yes, I would, if it was early and the vet felt it was safe.

You need to call a vet right away as I don't know if the vet will spay a cat that is pregnant.  I honestly don't know if they will, however one of our cats  had an infection when we took her in to be spayed so they canceled the spaying and then she went into heat.  Our vet would not spay her while she was in heat so we kept a close watch on her and as soon as she went out of heat, she got spayed.

We have a black cat that adopted us. She is named Jenny Linsky from The Cat Club :)

We have a Jenny, too, except it is really spelled 8675309.  ;)

Our vet will spay a pregnant female if it is early enough.

OMFSM!

I would certainly do it!  It is very hard to find good homes for kittens as it is.  Shelters are full of kittens. Now THAT is sad :crying: and completely unnecessary.

Please get her fixed, or at very least, if your vet won't do it, then isolate her after the kittens come until you can get her fixed. 

You know it's time for bed when you open a thread to see what a pageant cat is....

And no, if that means aborting a baby kitty- is that what it means? Then no, I couldn't or wouldn't.

A pageant cat?  Like the Honey Boo Boo of the feline world? 

I would pay good money to see that! :smilielol5:

It would depend upon how far along the cat was but yes, I have spayed pregnant cats before. Still not in hell either.

Want to see hell? Go help a shelter out when they are euthanizing perfectly healthy and adorable kittens because there's ZERO chance of them being adopted. That my friends, is HELL. :(

Yes, I would and I have three times.  I work with a feral cat rescue that spays/neuters and returns the cats to their environment (they are too wild to be adopted).  There is nothing more cruel than having a litter of kittens eaten by wild animals, starve because their mother got hit by a car, or otherwise get separated and die a slow and painful death.  The world has too many kittens to allow them to come into the world unwanted and unloved.  I now have eight cats because I tamed kittens from a feral mother thinking they could be adopted....I succeeded in placing only one.  The no-kill shelters are full and won't accept any new kittens.  The city/county animal shelters will euthanize them.  Please take the cat in and spay her.  It is safe and in the best interest of the mother and the kittens.  Unless, of course, you are willing to keep them all in your own home, as well as spay and neuter each one of them if they are unable to be placed.  And trust me...they are very difficult to find homes for.  People always SAY they'll adopt one of your kittens...the reality is that they don't.

I've had pregnant cats and dogs spayed.  It depends on how far along they are and the vet's skill and comfort level.

I've never had one suffer any complications, as long as you follow the usual post-spay instructions.

As someone who works in rescue, I "ditto" everything that's already been said.  There are already way, way, way too many kittens and cats in need of homes.

Until a person has worked in pet rescue/rehabilitation, then one has a harder time understanding the true nature of animal overpopulation and the extreme lack of homes for the ones waiting. Why should 'I' allow more kittens to be born when I knowingly
a) cant keep them all
b)cant find good homes that I can assure will spay/neuter them
c) cant drop them at a shelter because many times they're already full. And why do I need to put that on them.

If I take an animal in, its my responsibility to make sure I can stop further uneccessary reproduction and either care for it, or try and find it a hopeful permanent home.

Unfortunately the emotions need to be removed from the equation.

edited:  don't know where that smiley came from

Yep - I've had it done with no qualms. My vet realized right away that the stray who had adopted me was pregnant, and she was glad to have me agree to taking care of everything at once. The world doesn't need any more kittens; I volunteer at an adoption center, and I can attest to the over-population problem. :(

me too. Wasn;'t something I felt happy and rosy about, but we had no complications other than a slightly higher vet bill.

Not a fun call, but more fun than adding to the pet over population problem.

I would do it. I would feel a little sick over it, but the cat population is so ridiculously high here. Finding good homes for a kitten is impossible. Most people have at least two. The shelters are full to overflowing. The dog population is a little chaotic, but not nearly as out of control as the cats. I hate the thought of spaying her pregnant, but it would be best for all involved including the cat.

Thank you all for your input. I'm calling the clinic today to talk to them about going ahead and spaying her. I don't like this option, but y'all have confirmed what I was thinking: this is probably the best thing. She appears healthy so hopefully this will not be a major issue for her.

What's the better alternative? Seriously.

This is exactly my thought. I can't really think of a better alternative. As much as I respect life and nature, kittens are not people, and I can't think it being a good thing to allow a litter of kits to be born when the odds are that they will end up dead or left to themselves. :( It's just not a simple thing to find homes for kittens.

It's disturbing enough that someone would throw away a wonderful kitty like Jenny. I cannot imagine a sweeter cat. She is soooo patient and gentle with the kiddos. The first day she showed up, my dd brought her up to the house and the dogs thought it was their job to investigate the strange cat in dd's arm. Jenny tried to get away, but in spite of being obviously upset (hissing, growling, and trying to get away) she didn't even scratch my dd! And then a little while later, 5 yr ds was jumping with her on the trampoline! :eek: Of course I put a stop to that right away, but I was very surprised she didn't scratch him trying to get away either.

One of our neighbors adopted a stray that looks very similar to Jenny (maybe her sibling?...I originally thought it was their cat) and was commenting on how sweet she turned out to be.

If people just throw away cats like that, then there is no way I can guarantee a good, stable home for Jenny's kittens. And if I can't find good homes, what then? We can't keep them, and then the longer we have them the more attached the kiddos will get. It's just not a good thing all around. I guess I just needed a little reassurance that it's the right thing to do.

Anyway, she has an appointment for next Tues. It's the earliest they could get her in.

Aura, you are doing the right thing.   I have 8 cats, 6 of them were rescue kittens.  I got them at various times but by the time the rescue group had gotten them, they were in bad shape.  They had all been living outside except for the one that was found in an abandoned drug house (two years later and she still has some issues ).  Another one was found on the fishing docks weighing only one pound.  Three siblings were found under someone's porch at 3 or 4 weeks of age (the rescue group took care of them until I adopted them at 6 weeks of age.  Another one was found shut up in a box under the Boardwalk, he was so tiny and in bad shape.  He is now 13 years old, beautiful and so gentle.

My point is that my rescues are only a fraction of the abandoned kittens .They were lucky that whoever found all of them brought them to a no kill shelter (we also have kill shelters in our area).  EVerytime I go to our vet's office, he has new kittens there from one of the rescue groups that they are trying to find homes for.  He has also made some of them office cats (after they became adults without anyone adopting them).  There are so many kittens out there not being adopted. 

Enjoy your Jenny, she sounds like a great cat.

Yes, with the vet's recommendation. One of our shelter cats had had three litters and was carrying a fourth when her owner (well someone claiming to be not the "actual" owner) turned her in. She was two at the time. Shelters routinely spay pregnant cats.

I agree all cats and dogs should be spayed or neutered. We had our 2 year old weenie dog neutered (we could have used him as a stud for breeding but we didn't want the hassle). We are looking for another cat (female) but can't get over the price the shelter wants for a cat. We are willing to pay for spaying and all that good stuff.

What's the better alternative? Seriously.

AMDG

Well, I was just answering the original question: would I spay a pregnant cat?  The answer is:

no. :crying:

If you're asking what the better alternative is in this specific situation . . . If it were me and mine, I would provide for the kittens.  

If you're asking what the better alternative is for the entire global problem of irresponsibility and  . . . other stuff that I don't agree with, the only alternative I know is to commit to right, live right, and teach right ( -- as rightly as I can and may God grant me the grace to do better) and hope that in my little corner of the universe, whatever influence I have with my family and the people around me will be for good and not ill.

That's all well and good but the fact is that countless kittens will be euthanized or abandoned to be raccoon food. Most people can't keep a whole litter worth of kittens even if they were inclined because of laws and homeowners or tenancy/lease agreements. Even a very long time ago kittens were routinely drowned or chloroformed. Better to take care of it now than let the kittens be killed later on. The math doesn't work out in favor of domestic cats reproducing unfettered. Never has. Never will.

In a heartbeat. I used to do rescue work. When I started, I would volunteer to foster the pregnant cats until the kittens were weaned and all could be adopted. Then I realized how many already born kittens were being euthanized while I cared for each pregnant cat. Since then, I have always advocated for immediate spaying regardless of whether the cat was pregnant.

Some vets will spay during pregnancy and others won't. You may have to call around.

AMDG

Well, I was just answering the original question: would I spay a pregnant cat?  The answer is:

no. :crying:

If you're asking what the better alternative is in this specific situation . . . If it were me and mine, I would provide for the kittens.  

If you're asking what the better alternative is for the entire global problem of irresponsibility and  . . . other stuff that I don't agree with, the only alternative I know is to commit to right, live right, and teach right ( -- as rightly as I can and may God grant me the grace to do better) and hope that in my little corner of the universe, whatever influence I have with my family and the people around me will be for good and not ill.

It's nice that you feel as if you can adequately support seven or eight cats, both financially and emotionally, and that you have enough space for that many cats along with the five or six litter boxes they'll likely require, but most people can't do that.

It's nice that you feel as if you can adequately support seven or eight cats, both financially and emotionally, and that you have enough space for that many cats along with the five or six litter boxes they'll likely require, but most people can't do that.

Plus quite a bit of money for getting them all fixed, so it doesn't start all over again.

If it is early, then yes, I'd recommend it. I personally wouldn't do it . . . but that is only b/c dh is a vet, we own a hospital, and we do adoptions. Soooo, I know I'd not be on the hook for a potentially very expensive complicated birth (relatively rare in cats, but can happen) and I also I could place the kittens through the hospital. Even owning a practice, adopting out cats and kittens is NOT easy! We place one or two a month on average, and that is with a client base of thousands and plenty of advertising through the hospital's website/facebook/etc. And, those kitties are totally "vetted" by the time we adopt them out -- exams, feluk/FIV testing, deworming, vaccines, flea/tick free, etc . . . Probably $200/each in vet care already provided, and we spay/neuter before adoption if they are big enough (12-14 weeks), so the adoptive owners are getting a great financial deal . . . Do not assume it will be easy to place the kittens! Check out your local papers and shelters to see how many are available, and ask your local shelter what their policy is on kittens/cats. The local shelter here euthanizes on arrival for most/all of the year! It is really awful b/c folks have nowhere to take their cat/kittens if the catch strays/etc, which means they ignore them and allow them to continue to reproduce.

The vast majority of vets will spay a pregnant cat unless she is close to delivery. Some vets (dh included) won't generally spay that late b/c it is too hard on them personally (and their staff), so in that case, you'd have to call around to find a vet who will do it. Expect there to be a bit higher cost for a pregnant spay. I think it is around $100 extra at our hospital, but that could be very variable. It is a bit riskier and more difficult a procedure b/c of the additional bleeding, but it certainly isn't more dangerous for the momma cat than carrying another litter to term.

If you keep her and don't spay her, be sure to put her on kitten food ASAP and keep her on that through weaning. Also, get her to the vet in any case ASAP to deworm her (and continue a deworming protocol through weaning -- general every 2 weeks) and do a general health check, do any vaccines it is safe to do, etc. At the very minimum, get her dewormed and get her tested for Feline Leukemia and FIV. If she is positive for either of those, then euthanize her, for sure. (Read up on it, but trust me.) 

I love cats. I love kittens. Thousands die weekly due to overpopulation. Many communities euthanize entire litters on arrival at shelters b/c there is simply not enough room or homes for all of them. Turning them loose is even crueler IMHO due to the short, tragic, sick, painful life of a wild cat -- not to mention the reservoir of disease the wild colonies serve as for any owned cats in the community as well as people. (Rabies, etc.)

Congrats on your new family member. Just get her into a vet and follow your heart.

I would not BUT I live in an area where kittens are rehomed very easily, usually within a week of posting an ad or taking them to the pet store (the pet store will keep them for 1 week, charge $5 for someone to adopt them and that person signs a contract promising to get them spayed/neutered etc).  We are in a rural area, most people I know have at least 2 indoor (or indoor/outdoor) cats, and then there is a the farms with their barn cats.  We have 3 now, and if the girls got pregnant before they were spayed I would not spay until after weaning and just make sure they did not get outside again (my girls are indoor only, my boy is neutered and is indoor/outdoor).  The exception to this is black cats, no one wants to adopt a black cat, so rehoming is much much more difficult so I might spay a pregnant black cat, or a very young cat that would potentially suffer more risk from continuing the pregnancy than getting spayed, or if it was one of the cats from babysitting girl's family.  They let their cats have so many back to back litters they often only have 1-2 kittens at a time now and if they have more usually a couple die within the first few hours of birth.  I would get them fixed if they were pregnant.  But thinking about my 2 female cats, I would wait for them to wean if they were pregnant and then spay them.

AMDG

Sorry, I dont remember saying that I would keep 7 or 8 cats, et c. I recall saying that I would provide for them which encompasses a lot of things none of which necessarily include keeping any kittens.

Are you angry with me because my perspective is different from yours or am I mistakenly reading you that way? You are not the first to seem to be taking an angry tone with me re this subject. I don't understand why my feelings and what I think I would so in any given scenario is making anyone angry.

I repudiate any word of mine that was not typed with compassion and kindness. I did not intentionally speak harshly and want you to know that if you read anything of mine on this topic that seemed hateful or mean, I did not mean it that way.

Maybe this was just one of those JAWM posts and my perspective was not actually welcome. For misunderstanding that and for any word that caused rancor in any heart, I apologize.

In my defense, I really did think that the question was asking if I would spay a pregnant cat. And I really did think that diverse perspectives were explicitly requested.

AMDG

Sorry, I dont remember saying that I would keep 7 or 8 cats, et c. I recall saying that I would provide for them which encompasses a lot of things none of which necessarily include keeping any kittens.

Are you angry with me because my perspective is different from yours or am I mistakenly reading you that way? You are not the first to seem to be taking an angry tone with me re this subject. I don't understand why my feelings and what I think I would so in any given scenario is making anyone angry.

I repudiate any word of mine that was not typed with compassion and kindness. I did not intentionally speak harshly and want you to know that if you read anything of mine on this topic that seemed hateful or mean, I did not mean it that way.

Maybe this was just one of those JAWM posts and my perspective was not actually welcome. For misunderstanding that and for any word that caused rancor in any heart, I apologize.

In my defense, I really did think that the question was asking if I would spay a pregnant cat. And I really did think that diverse perspectives were explicitly requested.

I thought you were pretty clear that you were just communicating your views and not passing judgement on anyone else or whatever. I think we're just primed to start debating in this forum sometimes.:D

FTR, I would not hesitate to have the cat spayed.

AMDG

A few people before you said they wouldn't spay a pregnant cat so you weren't the only person who said no.

I'm not sure why posters picked you to question and question some more. Maybe because you put the crying smiley? The needless death of any life makes me cry, too.

I've volunteered at a shelter and lived thru some heartbreaking moments when animals were euthanized. God help me when it doesn't make me cry.

AMDG

I'm not angry at all.  But many people who might have the resources to care for one or two cats, simply couldn't do the same for two or three times that number.  And giving away kittens is, around here anyway, next to impossible.  There are just too many.  And I'm not sure what else someone could do with them, aside from having them put to sleep.