Menu

What Bible version do you read? And other questions. CC, obv.

NicAnn

No offense taken!

It is published by the JWs, but it's a pretty straight forward accurate translation comparing to other versions I've used. I do know that it's been critiqued for use and placement of the name Jehovah. I liken it to an easier to read KJV.

It is an accurate translation. Jehovah's Witnesses base their beliefs on the Bible.

I currently use the TNIV (updated version of the NIV) for personal devotional reading. When I'm leading a Bible study I like to compare a variety of translations. One of my favorite ways to get people to see a passage of scripture in a new way is to have them read it in a variety of translations and compare. I own a wide variety of translations. I don't have any Catholic Bibles, but I do have and have read a copy of the Apocrypha (or Deuterocanonical books if you prefer). When the scriptures begin to seem bland to me, I like to pull out my Spanish or Swedish translations of the Bible (I'm proficient in both languages). Reading the passage in another language can make it seem fresher. My pastor preaches from the NIV mostly, though our pew Bibles are NRSV.

In our home we have KJV, NKJV, Holman, CEV, NIV, NLT, ESV and I think one more.  I will add two more shortly: The NLT Life Application Study Bible 2012 edition.  My current NLT is the 1996 version and there has been an important revision since then to "increase the level of precision without sacrificing the text's easy-to-understand quality".  And the ESV Thinline Reference Bible 2013 edition.  I curently have a 2002 version and I believe there have been 2 revisions since then.

The NLT and ESV are my favorites.

I have many, both Jewish (JPS Tanakh, Stone Chumash, Plaut Torah, Everett Fox 5 Books of Moses) and Christian (Oxford Annotated NRSV, Barry Moser KJV) but for "reading" my favorite is The New Jerusalem Bible, which is (from what I understand) a very popular English language Roman Catholic Bible outside the United States (where is is not super-common).

I like the NJB because it has very high literary standards, yet isn't archaic. Really a pleasure to read as a "story."

It is controversial (with some) for rendering the portions of the Bible where the Hebrew has YHWH as "Yahweh" rather than using a euphemism like "Lord" God or Adonai.

Bill

Bill, a Jewish friend recommended the Stone Chumash to me. Is it available online (they are pricey in the store)? Out of curiousity, are there differing versions/translations of the Talmud and what would be the most likely suggested by Conservative Jews?

Bill, a Jewish friend recommended the Stone Chumash to me. Is it available online (they are pricey in the store)?

I got mine at a local (Jewish) bookshop, but I see Amazon has the regular edition for about $35. There is extensive commentary (really the main draw) from an Orthodox perspective.

Out of curiousity, are there differing versions/translations of the Talmud and what would be the most likely suggested by Conservative Jews?

Well, there is more than one Talmud (Babylonian and Jerusalem)each of which has multiple volumes. There are multiple translations, and (from my incomplete understanding) some strategic "edits" in some editions. But I'm no expert on Talmud study. I'm not sure what edition a Conservative Jew might use. The ArtScroll versions are the ones I'm used to seeing in Orthodox homes and in Rabbi's studies.

Bill

Bill, my friend calls herself "Conservadox"...Orthodox in a Conservative community.

I've heard "Conservadox" here too.

I've had friends moving the other way (from being Orthodox towards being "off the derech") who've starting calling themselves "High British," (which is a corruption of "hybrid-ish") as they have kept kosher in the home (so they can entertain Orthodox friends) but outside?, not so much.

It has been interesting (for me) to see the increasing trend towards religiosity in the Jewish community around me. We always had a few observant families as neighbors, but in-the-main my area was notable for being pretty liberal and non-observant. People often had memberships in Reform or Conservative temples (a few attended regularly), but most went for the High Holy days, and that was it. That is changing too.

Now we have a lot more Orthodox, and a trend towards observance with the Conservatives ("Conservadox")and even some Reform Jews mixed in more secular types. It has been an interesting evolution.

Bill