Menu

What Bible version do you read? And other questions. CC, obv.

NicAnn

I'm curious what version of the Bible everyone uses. Do you use a reference Bible or one with special notes? Do you highlight or take notes?

This came up at a Bible study tonight, but we were all the same religion and go to the same congregation so our answers were similar.

I have a super thick hardback reference version of New World Translation that I use when I go to a Bible Study, or study by myself. It has maps, timelines, cross referencing, the works. Then I have a small King James I use with our family study because DD prefers the language. I take notes and highlight, though I was taught growing up (Methodist) it was disrespectful. I don't feel it is, now so notes galore!

I use only the kjv.  My personal belief is it is the only translation for the English speaking people.  I have a Cambridge Bible. I do not use study bibles.  I think the best commentary on the Bible is the Bible.  This is my view. I am not trying to start an argument of anything. I do take notes while reading the Bible. I like to write down what I feel God speaking to me.  It is nice to go back and read years later. I don't do this every time I read the Bible just sometimes.

ESV.  I don't write notes in my Bible because I'm sloppy and I don't want to mess it up.  I sometimes use a notebook to write things down as I read.  My husband underlines with a very hard pencil.   He has worked at a Christian bookstore in the recent past so we have a few Bibles around, including a study Bible.  I also have a small Bible to carry in my purse.  Also on the kindle!  I don't use the kindle in church because I'm still awkward with it.

I use the NIV. My husband likes the ESV.

Isn't the New World Translation just for JWs? What I mean is, the doctrine of JW is in the way things are translated. Maybe you could clear that up for me. No disrespect, I just wondered.

I'm sorry--I'm not phrasing that well. Pls don't take offense.

No offense taken!

It is published by the JWs, but it's a pretty straight forward accurate translation comparing to other versions I've used. I do know that it's been critiqued for use and placement of the name Jehovah. I liken it to an easier to read KJV. I'm not a baptized witness, so I'm sure one of our more knowledgable JW members can clarify if I'm wrong.

I like ESV, but I'm a real Bible omnivore. One of the things I like is to compare versions. Plus I have different versions that I like best for different things I do... NKJV for meditative reading, NLT for big chunks, NRSV or NASB for study, NIV or Holman for reading aloud, 'God's Word' for brief inspirational quotes, 'The Message' for a change-up, 'The Source' for an alternative perspective worth considering... Just to name a few.

I was NIV, and a few yrs ago switched to ESV (more accurate). It took a long time to get used to a new translation! I love it now. I don't write in my Bible but only because the single-column one that I bought and LOVE is no longer being made so I want to keep it nice (you know how you get used to where on the page everything is!) For that same reason, I take my Kindle ESV to church, etc.-the favorite Bible stays home where it's safe!

I do journal when I feel the Lord is putting something on my heart, or something I want to remember. Sometimes in my journal I make little charts or stick figure pictures to help me remember things.

I purposely bought a Bible without study notes in it so I can just concentrate on the Word when I'm reading it. For actual study or questions or whatever, I do use commentaries-love John MacArthur's, and I also have here the ESV Study Bible that I like the notes in. Once in awhile I get a book to go along with a chapter I'm studying-right now I'm studying Romans in depth so I got the John Stott Romans book-LOVE this! I also love the James Boice commentaries.

I haven't been to an actual Bible study in years-I am too tired to go out at night! So I do in depth studies on my own with just the Bible and commentaries.

Great thread! Looking forward to reading the responses.

I, too, like to compare several versions, especially for study.  I mainly read my New American Standard study bible (Zondervan, maybe?) simply because it's the one I've had the longest.  lol  But I use the ESV, Holman, NRSV, NKJV, and NIV as well.  (I choose more recent literal translations because they are based on the latest scholarship and manuscripts available.)

I have 2 NASB - a Kay Arthur (bigger margins, no study notes) that I mark EXTENSIVELY when I do inductive studies. I also have a NASB study bible (MacArthur, I think), that I use to read and do general study.

I'm a big NASB fan too--but KJV as well, just for the beauty of the language.

I only mark my Bible(s) with notes regarding translation and word choice. For my own thoughts, ideas and reactions, I use a notebookk. The reason for that is that I want to be reading just the text itself when I come to the Bible (not my own last-time's-ideas) but if I've got info about the text itself, I want that around for each reading.

I use NIV 1984 for Bible studies, daily reading, and teaching. I highlight, underline, and write notes all over the place.

However, when I teach, I *always* compare translations and read tons of commentaries. I also look up words in the original language and will use different versions for clearer explanation or teaching.

Our Pastor preaches from the NKJV, so I bring that to church. I write in that too.

I have many, both Jewish (JPS Tanakh, Stone Chumash, Plaut Torah, Everett Fox 5 Books of Moses) and Christian (Oxford Annotated NRSV, Barry Moser KJV) but for "reading" my favorite is The New Jerusalem Bible, which is (from what I understand) a very popular English language Roman Catholic Bible outside the United States (where is is not super-common).

I like the NJB because it has very high literary standards, yet isn't archaic. Really a pleasure to read as a "story."

It is controversial (with some) for rendering the portions of the Bible where the Hebrew has YHWH as "Yahweh" rather than using a euphemism like "Lord" God or Adonai.

Bill

Well, the Bible I use the most is NIV.  I also have one that is... NLT I believe?

DH's is an Apologetics Bible, and the version is NKJV, I believe.  *Wait... maybe it is NASB?  ESV?  Not sure... I've looked before but now I can't remember!!*

We're doing a Bible study at church, and I like reading through the chapters in all the different ones to get a good feel for it.  The Apologetics one is VERY helpful and useful - I really like it.   :)

We also have the YouVersion app on our iPad, which can access every version there is.   :D

We have more than a few around the house (including a beautiful leather-bound Hebrew/English Tanakh), but what I use for study/reading is my New American Bible Revised Edition (Catholic). It seems to be called the "Donald Senior" Bible and has extensive notes in it. I also love to use the Ignatius Study Bible (RSV 2nd Edition), but it is only New Testament; it too has extensive notes, usually highlighting something different or in a different way than my NAB. So when I'm studying something from the NT, I like to use both. 

I mark up my NAB; I use flair pens in a variety of colors and underline passages/verses. Different colors correspond to different topics (for instance, God's Love is red, Apologetics is green, etc.). I also have a composition book that I use to write down verses/passages that stand out to me in my morning readings (usually based on the Mass readings for the day). I haven't marked a thing in the Ignatius Bible; for some reason I just can't bring myself to touch it with a pencil or pen. ;)

I use the New Jerusalem Bible (although I am not Catholic) for classes with my church because the instructor prefers it and we sometimes refer to the Apocryphal books.

I personally read from both the NRSV and the NKJV. I know the NKJV is not considered to be the most accurate but it was my original Bible and I love the language and flow, especially in the poetry sections. Although, I have come to appreciate the poetry in the New Jerusalem Bible as well.

I use the KJV with the ASV of 1901 as backup. Both are the most reliable and accurate translations.

I don't highlight or mark up, but I do have a notebook that I use.

However, now I mostly use my iTouch Bible app. I have both versions plus the ESV (because it was free), plus a Bible dictionary, plus a couple of commentaries, plus the KJV with links to each of the original words that also contain their meaning. I love being able to search for word or phrase instantly - or to highlight a word and immediately see the definition.

The New Jerusalem Bible, which is (from what I understand) a very popular English language Roman Catholic Bible outside the United States (where is is not super-common).

I like the NJB because it has very high literary standards, yet isn't archaic. Really a pleasure to read as a "story."

It is controversial (with some) for rendering the portions of the Bible where the Hebrew has YHWH as "Yahweh" rather than using a euphemism like "Lord" God or Adonai.

Bill

That's really neat. I hadn't heard of this Bible.

The Jerusalem Bible as published in 1966. It is a more scholarly and accurate translation and contains detailed foot notes. I inherited this bible from my dad, it was a wedding present to him from my mom and has all of the family tree information in the back as well as notes about our childhoods. I was very touched that my dad passed it on to me. The priest who visited my mom through her final illness was genuinely excited to see it being used by my family for the readings at my mom's funeral.

The things that are important to me in selecting a Bible are that the OT be based on the Septuagint, and that the deuterocanonical books (what many people know as "the apocrypha") be included. I do prefer King James for the New Testament, too. I used to be an avid underliner and Bible decorator, but I don't write in my Bible anymore. 

I have many, both Jewish (JPS Tanakh, Stone Chumash, Plaut Torah, Everett Fox 5 Books of Moses) and Christian (Oxford Annotated NRSV, Barry Moser KJV) but for "reading" my favorite is The New Jerusalem Bible, which is (from what I understand) a very popular English language Roman Catholic Bible outside the United States (where is is not super-common).

Bill

The Jerusalem Bible is used in the mass readings and psalms in English-speaking countries other than the US, accounting for its greater popularity. Some places may use the NJB, but I think only the JB is authorized by the bishops' conferences. I think Canada authorizes the RSV (Catholic Edition), but I could be wrong. The USCCB (American bishops' conference) authorizes only the clunky New American Bible, on which they have a restrictive copyright, one which they zealously enforce on Catholics foolish enough to think our shepherds meant the Bible to be available for our use.

For my personal use and for reading to the girls, I use the Authorized King James Version, the pre-Victorian version with the Deuterocanon ( http://www.amazon.com/The-Bible-Authorized-Version-Classics/dp/0199535949 ), because of its beauty and its formative place in English letters. For my Sunday school class, I use the RSV-CE for its clarity and maintenance of the KJV's phrasings.

At mass, of course, we use the Latin Vulgate. :)

Usually the Third Millenium Bible for everyday because it has no notes at all.  Patristic commentaries are the best possible "notes". 

Septuagint Old Testament for authoritative readings.  (Brenton translation)

I have an "Orthodox-tweaked" copy of the Coverdale translation of the Psalms which I absolutely LOVE !  

What I want next is a hardcopy of the Douay-Rheims.

I never have written in a Bible, and never would be able to make myself do it.  The Bible is a verbal icon of God, so I would not wish to deface it by highlighting or writing in it.  As non-Orthodox won't know what I mean by this, here is one article:  http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/dogmatics/kesich_verbal_icon.htm

I prefer ESV.  Our pastors use NASB, because that's what the pew Bibles are.  I grew up memorizing in both KJV and NIV, and since college I've used ESV for memory work, so sometimes I will get a mixed-up version when I try to recite something!

I don't write in my Bible or any other book...it's just a thing for me.  I had hoped that I would find it easy to use the YouVersion app for making notes on my Kindle Fire, but sadly, I find it cumbersome and can't do it quickly.  

I need a new Bible...mine is getting pretty worn.  I should put it on my wish list for Christmas. :)

I don't know why you assume that non-Christians don't read the Bible as your title suggests.

CC just means "Christian content" (which would be the case with the Bible) -- it doesn't mean it would only apply to Christians or that only Christians can reply. 

CC just means "Christian content" (which would be the case with the Bible) -- it doesn't mean it would only apply to Christians or that only Christians can reply. 

Perhaps she was reacting to the word "obviously" at the end of thread title.  If so, I can understand her thoughts.  Jewish people read the Bible, non-religious people sometimes read it as merely "literature", and so forth.  (In fact, the Septuagint Old Testament that I referenced above is a Jewish translation of Holy Scripture.) 

That's really neat. I hadn't heard of this Bible.

You can read the text on-line here and see what you think:

http://www.catholic.org/bible/book.php?id=1

There is (obviously) a special place in the English language for the magnificent King James version. But it can be a tougher slog for the reader and/or listener.

The New Jerusalem is highly literary, while being clear, with writing that drives the narrative in a way that really flows. As "literature" it is my favorite for "reading" (while fully acknowledging the KJV's greatness). Of all other modern translations none comes close to the NJB for literacy style in my estimation, although for something very different (and "Hebrew-feeling") the Everett Fox Five Books of Moses is quite special.

Let's put it this way, we are not a religious household, but my son asks to hear readings as "bed-time stories." We are now wandering in the desert (Exodus) after having finished Genesis, and he is quite engaged with the narrative. Some passages of Genesis we read from Fox, some from the KJV (especially where I felt the "original" text was critical for cultural purposes, and sometimes we stopped and compared translations, but mostly we chose the NJB (because that's the one where the story flows and the language is appropriately rich).

I really recommend it as a Bible version to "read" (and it has great notes).

Bill

The Jerusalem Bible is used in the mass readings and psalms in English-speaking countries other than the US, accounting for its greater popularity. Some places may use the NJB, but I think only the JB is authorized by the bishops' conferences. I think Canada authorizes the RSV (Catholic Edition), but I could be wrong. The USCCB (American bishops' conference) authorizes only the clunky New American Bible, on which they have a restrictive copyright, one which they zealously enforce on Catholics foolish enough to think our shepherds meant the Bible to be available for our use.

For my personal use and for reading to the girls, I use the Authorized King James Version, the pre-Victorian version with the Deuterocanon ( http://www.amazon.com/The-Bible-Authorized-Version-Classics/dp/0199535949 ), because of its beauty and its formative place in English letters. For my Sunday school class, I use the RSV-CE for its clarity and maintenance of the KJV's phrasings.

At mass, of course, we use the Latin Vulgate. :)

The Catholic[dot]org site I linked to in a previous post says: "The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States."

If so, does it mean it is popular despite not being "authorized?" (Use of quotations to draw the eye only, not to imply anything :p).

What would lack of authorization mean practically. That people might read this version at home, but it wouldn't be used in the liturgy?

Bill

I have a catholic bible (not sure what you call it, lol sorry) but I am not Catholic myself. Still like having it, though.

I also own many KJV, NKJV, NIV and my latest versions have been ESV which I love. They are quite easy to understand. I am actually letting the kids memorize from the ESV this year. It feels weird reciting verses I learned myself in the KJV, lol.

eta: i have been known to highlight, draw brackets and date an important passage, etc. I don't think it is disrepectful if it is my personal use Bible. I wouldn't do so in a family Bible or a Bible handed down from past generations.

I don't know why you assume that non-Christians don't read the Bible as your title suggests.

I have the Oxford Annotated version.

I'm well aware non Christians read the Bible. I myself wasn't a Christian until I read the Bible. I added the CC label as some on the forum seem to need a reminder that a topic with obvious Christian content will have just that, Christian content..and to not get highly offended when it comes up. It is difficult to answer the questions I asked without getting into Christian Content.

Perhaps she was reacting to the word "obviously" at the end of thread title. If so, I can understand her thoughts. Jewish people read the Bible, non-religious people sometimes read it as merely "literature", and so forth. (In fact, the Septuagint Old Testament that I referenced above is a Jewish translation of Holy Scripture.)

Right, perhaps that's it. I added "obviously" to it because people often seem surprised or offended if a topic veers toward Christianity, even when I think it's apparent. I can see how it might seem snarky though.

Right, perhaps that's it. I added "obviously" to it because people often seem surprised or offended if a topic veers toward Christianity, even when I think it's apparent. I can see how it might seem snarky though.

I, fwiw, did not see it as "snarky".  Just misleading.

I use NIV for my own personal reading, because that is what I began to read when I became serious about my faith at age 18 and I bought a nice big leather bound one.  I also like it because the text beautiful-- it's poetic.  I don't even look at the notes anymore.  [i also like it because of the way it smells!  It reminds me of those  wonderful days when I was just waking up to my faith!]

I have an NASB in the car because it is small with a sturdy binding so it transports easily, yet the letters aren't too tiny to read.

I suppose I'm giving the impression that I choose the Bible translation I use based on sentimental or practical reasons having to do with the book itself, but:

For serious study I use the Orthodox Study Bible, and I do read the Greek as well.  (though not that proficiently)

I have read various translations: KJV, NIV, used Oxford Study Bible (when I did lay ministry classes in the Episcopal Church), the Tanakh (JPS). When I had my daughter do Biblical literacy this summer, she read from the JPS Tanakh, my Oxford Study Bible for the New Testament, and the New American Catholic for the books not included in the first two.

I like several translations. My pocket bible is an older NIV translation. It's one I've had for years & I don't change it because I write in it & it's kind of like an old friend. I also own New King James, NASB, and New Living. I enjoy them all & read them each for various reasons. On my youversion, I have ESV as my default. I enjoy some paraphrase bibles too.