Menu

Teens and contacts? (eyes, not friends)

PeterPan

I wear soft lenses (they are the two week ones) and I wear them for about a month.  I also have a pair of glasses-- I highly recommend glasses for lots of reasons-- good when your eyes are tired (driving long distances-- late nights studying--- illness--)  I also like to go to bed without having to get up and take out my contacts--I just put my glasses on the nightstand and go to sleep-- I also never accidentally fall asleep in my contacts.

I find that giving my eyes a break when they are tired also adds to the life of the contacts-- once protein builds up on the contacts they are really hard to clean and I end up tossing them.

I have had gas perms and I really prefer soft-- they don't pop out when I get hit in the head (I lost a few in volleyball)

To avoid the cost of a yearly exam, I buy twice the amount I would use and get an exam every other year.  There is no limit to how many you can buy during the prescription year-- so I buy double.  I get the exam and lenses at Costco.  I think I pay about $100 for the exam and I don't know how much for the lenses (DH buys them).  Every month DH buys a box of lenses and use only one pair (there are three).  I am currently 1.5 years from my last exam and I have enough lenses to last until February/March -- barring nothing out of the ordinary happens (loss or rip).

Ok, I'm glad to know this is a possibility, and I definitely agree, um, hygiene has to be supervised. On the other hand, when I read that story I kinda wonder if there was more going on the kid wasn't fessing up to, kwim? Like maybe she wore them a lot more than ONE NIGHT?? I don't know.

She was with both her parents visiting her grandparents. It was one night, they sought immediate medical treatment and then saw 3 different well regarded eye doctors in 2 different states trying to get it fixed, but she is legally blind in one eye to this day and nothing can be done for it.

I also recommend wearing glasses for part of the day. I always wear mine in the evenings when I read in bed. I also often wear mine on the weekend when I am just hanging out at home. I have also been recommended to wear them if I am in front of a computer a lot, which is hard because I prefer contacts for work, and I spend at least part of every day in front of the computer, but still.

I also recommend wearing glasses for part of the day. I always wear mine in the evenings when I read in bed. I also often wear mine on the weekend when I am just hanging out at home. I have also been recommended to wear them if I am in front of a computer a lot, which is hard because I prefer contacts for work, and I spend at least part of every day in front of the computer, but still.

What's the scoop with contacts at the computer?

What's the scoop with contacts at the computer?

They can just get a bit dry if you sit in front of the computer for longer stretches. Nothing dangerous just a bit uncomfortable

Some people get dry eyes after a few hours (dd18 when writing) yet other people do not (me). It's something you figure out while wearing contacts :)