Menu

Why do so many use Holt Geometry but not Holt Algebra?

We are having great success with Holt Geometry, so my instinct is to look at Holt Algebra as well. I will have one in alg 1 next year, and one in alg 2.

Are the algebra books completely different? I see that the 2007 edition has Burger listed as an author, just like the geometry.

Anyone use the Holt Algebra? Anyone want to tell me why they don't?

I used Holt Algebra One and Two and loved them.  It was an early 80s edition though -- the author was Nichols.

I LOVE the Nichols editions.

If you like Holt Geometry the Algebras are set up the same way... you can view the (mostly) Burger lectures online-- same code-like situation.

Our local schools use Holt for high school. The libraries recently added a set of middle school and high school math texts into the reference section of each public library branch. (Which was nice since students only have online textbooks).

So you might check your library system to see what they have.

Our local schools use Holt for high school. The libraries recently added a set of middle school and high school math texts into the reference section of each public library branch. (Which was nice since students only have online textbooks).

So you might check your library system to see what they have.

What a good idea - the branches close to me definitely don't have that kind of stuff, but I checked online and the regional branch does have a few algebra texts. They don't have the Holt, but I'll check out what they have for comparative purposes (and also to encourage them to keep texts on the shelves!).

I would go crazy if my kids were in school with only online texts. We have tried a couple of online based courses, and discovered that my kids really *need* that physical book. What do they do about kids who don't have internet at home?

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth this late in the thread: Holt Algebra and Bergers videos were a life saver for DS!  When he hit that book, it was like a magic wand for Algebra sinking in.  We are continuing with the Holt books for him and I've started my younger one on the middle school books.  I plan on using them with her all the way through.

~coffee~

This is a response specifically to NoPlaceLikeHome...my dd used Thinkwell for 7th grade math and I consider it one of the biggest homeschooling mistakes I have ever made.  Burger's instruction is great but the problem sets are nothing like what is in the lesson and do not accurately reflect the instruction in the lesson or what I would consider grade level problem sets.  We are currently using Holt Geometry (textbook by Burger) and we are perfectly happy with it.  I have since heard that many people are happy with the Thinkwell AP classes and not quite as happy with their other levels (I have no other experience with them). 

For what it's worth this late in the thread: Holt Algebra and Bergers videos were a life saver for DS!  When he hit that book, it was like a magic wand for Algebra sinking in.  We are continuing with the Holt books for him and I've started my younger one on the middle school books.  I plan on using them with her all the way through.

~coffee~

Where did you get the Berger videos? Any links? I appreciate your help.

The Burger videos are FREE-- if you have the student text (2007 edition) it has the codes with the lessons.

Dr Burger is the main author of the Holt 2007 text.

You can also purchase the lessons through Thinkwell... but that is a LOT more money!

The text alone does not have enough student practice if you just work the odds.  The TE is included in the One Stop Planner (make sure it is the instructors edition).  But this can be the expensive part of the program and finding it can be tricky.  What you get is an incredible value--digital TE, worked out solutions, Test generator, multiple versions of quizzes and tests (pre made). AWESOME worksheets for each lesson  Reteach, Practice A, B and C, Problem Solving, Challenge...  it is very easy to customize the program to meet the needs of the student.

I would not recommend this text (even with the videos) without the supplments of the One Stop Planner.