Menu

Memory Foam Mattress Pads?

ksr5377

Has anyone had one for a year or so and still love it?  What we really need is a new mattress, but unfortunately that's going to take a bit of time to budget for.  I was hoping that by going this route it would help me out for awhile, at least until this pregnancy is over.  I know I'm sleeping terribly because our mattress needs replaced.  I slept with my DS3 the other night because his bed is more comfortable.

We did two things to help our mattress. First, we put a piece of plywood under it, which surprisingly helped a lot. We've used that for a couple of years. This spring or summer, I picked up a foam pad with a thin layer of memory foam on top, which really did a lot of good for my sleep. My daughter is now using that one (it was a twin, but cheap new at Goodwill), as I found a 1 inch queen mf topper at Big Lots for $26 a couple of weeks ago. I'm considering going back and getting another one to layer and take it up to 2" at a much lower price (they sell a 1.25" for $50, so it seems a better deal). If you have a Big Lots nearby, it might be worth checking.

We've had ours for five or six years and still love it.  Very comfy.  But we had a very good mattress, a new Beautyrest, when we got the memory foam pad.  The mattress itself was great for DH, but was making my back hurt.  The memory foam pad made it perfect for both of us.

What I shall not recommend is one of those "gel" mattresses.  I slept on one for some months and hated every night.  One cannot roll over naturally, or change positions, while asleep.  Rather, one has to deliberately push the body into a new position.  Eventually, when I developed bedsores on both elbows, I removed the gel mattress -- permanently.

Thanks everyone, I think this will be the route we go then.  We're planning that it'll take about a year to save a for a good, quality mattress.  I know we could get something less expensive before that, but I think we'll be in the same situation sooner than we would like.  And thank you for the information about the gel ones, they make those look so comfy!