Menu

What kind of Swiss Army knife for boy?

matrips

My two boys are scouts and will learn whittling or something like that this year as a Bear scout, so I was thinking to get them their own pen knives for Christmas. I imagine a good one will last a lifetime, so I don't need to go on the super cheap for it. (Not meaning the hundred dollars ones, but I'd be okay with $25-$50). I'm assuming Swiss Army ones are a decent brand? But there are so many variations and tools. What tools should I look for in one? What actually gets used? They are almost 9yo and this will be their first knife. And if you know of one by name, great!

A good knife will last a lifetime unless they lose it. If you want to get a Swiss Army style, I'd recommend Victorinox or Wenger. Either should hold up very well; both companies use a hard version of stainless steel. The downside to that is they can be hard to sharpen so encourage your boys not to let them get really dull.

A saw can be great for camping. Bottle and can openers (2 different options) are pretty useful, as are screwdrivers. I once sold a knife to a hiker who would only carry a model with a magnifier because he said that he saved his life once by using it to start a fire; there are lots of options. A blade that locks in place is nice but not many models have that. (Naturally that's what my husband specifically asked for.)

If you do decide that loss is likely, Schrade at least used to make good starter knives that didn't cost a lot. They were good knives for the money though, not junk steal.

I used to collect knives until I had to hide my collection to keep my sons out of them. I hope your sons love theirs; a pocket knife is one of the handiest everyday tools you can carry.

I have a great Leatherman now, but I did have a Victorinox as a BS.  Go for a simpler model that isn't too thick.  The average cub scout does not need a gazillion tools.

The only downside I see to Leatherman for a kid is that the blade lock takes two hands to release, and I could see slicing a finger if it's done too quickly.  The knife would just be fold and go -- prob better for a kid.

Ask if the Troop/Council/school that hosts the meetings has any rules about it.  I have heard of rules about locking blades, size of blades, etc.

:iagree:

The head of our Council shop says that the folded knife should be no longer than one's knuckles and the open knife no longer than outstretched hand (wrist to fingertip).

Personally, I like simple one-blade knives, rather than knives with all the contraptions. Corkscrew? Nail file? No, thanks. The lighter knives don't weigh down a pocket, and most of the extra stuff can be put in a pocket emergency kit. For example, folding mini scissors from a camping store work better than the ones on a pocket knife; a pen-sized mini screwdriver with 4 blades works better than a screwdriver on a pocket knife; imho, of course.

I don't know about your ds, but lots of boys lose their first couple of knives. Just another thing to consider.

Are you near to a scout shop? It is nice for a boy to try out the knife, see how easily it opens and closes, etc.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/camping/knives-accessories/knives.html?p=1

Oh, and don't let ds forget his Whittlin' Chip card!