Menu

Elf on the Shelf worth it?

school17777

5yo dd wants an Elf on the Shelf  (eos) because she hears other kids talking about it.  I see they are $30.  I don't think the doll is worth that much and I don't care about the book.  I do like the idea of having an elf do things at night that dd could discover in the morning as a new tradition for her.  Any ideas on what else besides the elf we could use?

The older dds did their own eos type thing with a small American Doll last year.  I guess we could still use that or dig through our Xmas ornaments for an angel or something.  Or, maybe I will ask my mom to make one for us - she's crafty like that!

I think it's worth it as well.  It comes with a great hardcover book and is in a nice box for a keepsake.  My dc love it and my 7yo dd has already asked me when the Elf will be coming this year.  Last year, I got a girl (we already had a boy) for 50% off at the after-Christmas sale @ Macy's.  So this year, we will have two!

I felt like you about the Elf...I wanted it for the memories but wasn't crazy about the cost. So I bought the plush Elf on the Shelf instead.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002TIU1ZU/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1382319648&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Word of caution...last year was our first year and already dd is talking about Buddy (our elf). Once you start, you are stuck doing it for a while!!!

I find him weird and creepy.  No way.  But to each their own.  When dc were that age, there was always a treasure hunt in the advent calendar house.  It was reading practice and fun for the kids.

I have to agree.  His eyes are terrifying, lol

PS..if this is something your child has specifically asked for, then I think having your mom make an elf would be a great compromise. 

I never heard of Elf on the Shelf until recently.  I was surprised to hear my 18 year old son exclaim, "No, mom, do not buy it... that elf is bizarre." 

Turns out he remembered his 1st grade teacher doing Elf on the Shelf (I never knew this) every day in December.  I guess like the other posters, the look on the Elf's face and the daily surprises just creeped sonny boy out.  Oh well. :lol:

I think it is creepy. I have a friend who is a photographer who has a whole storyline and blog going for hers. They just had a baby last month.... If it is your thing, it could be fun; I would not spend the money on it, or the time to do it. I don't need anymore mischief makers at my house.