Menu

What is your housekeeping schedule?

I'm reading a really interesting book about housekeeping right now, entitled Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson. In one chapter she describes the almost universal housekeeping routines of American housewives prior to modern conveniences such as the automatic clothes washer and dryer, the vacuum cleaner, etc. Then she talks about daily, weekly, monthly, semi-annual, and annual tasks that should somehow make up the housekeeping routines of modern men and women. So, out of curiousity, I'm just wondering what your daily and weekly routines are like. Do you vacuum carpets daily, weekly, twice a week? Do you dust furniture weekly, bi-weekly, monthly? Do you mop hard floors daily, weekly?

She also speaks about how organized one must be to do a few loads of laundry each day, and says that most households will need to set aside one day as laundry day to ensure laundry is done regularly. I find this hard to imagine. Before I had kids I did dh's and my laundry all in one day, and it was very nice to have the sense of accomplishment that all the clothes were clean and ready for the week and the hamper was empty for at least one afternoon. But after having kids, it just isn't realistic. I do a few loads each day because I have to in order to keep up. I'm wondering if I'm typical or atypical?

I also wondered if others set aside one day as the major cleaning day for the week and try to clean the whole house that day, or if you clean a room or two each day? I would love the feeling of having everything clean at once and then just maintaining it until the next week, but I'm tyring to figure out when I could fit it in. It could be Saturday, since dh works on Saturday anyway, but dd has gymnastics from 8:30-12:30 on Saturdays this year, which takes up most of my good, alert, ambitious hours of the day.

I'm finding this book very intriguing and I would be interested in learning what your cleaning routines are like. Do you clean in the morning before school, in the interstices between school subjects, after school is over, on the weekends, etc.? Thanks.

My schedules

Daily in Chronological Order from the time I get up to bedtime:

Upon waking: empty dishwasher, put load of laundry in (1 load a day), Make bed, help kids with their morning chores

Right before lessons at 8:00 move load of laundry to dryer

Fold laundry when dryer is done put in piles to be put away (kids do their own)

Right before lunch I clean a room and the kids do their afternoon chores (Living Room, Master Bedroom, Bathrooms dep. on day: dust, vacuum, wash surfaces, put things away)

Clean up after lunch, load dishwasher

At 4:30 I begin dinner prep (for dinner at 5:30-6:00)

Clean up dinner dishes, load dishwasher, wipe down kitchen, set up coffee, start kids' bedtime routine

Monday is Living Room day (vacuum, dust furniture and baseboards, wash windows & tv)

Tuesday is Master Bedroom day (vacuum, dust furniture, baseboards, wash windows, put things away)

Wednesday is Master Bath day (tub, sink, toilet, windows, sweep/mop, baseboards, mirror)

Thursday is Kids' Bath day (same as Master Bath)

Friday or Saturday is Kitchen day (sweep/mop, removing everything from counters and scrub, wipe down cabinets, clean oven if it needs it, etc.)

The kitchen is swept during the week by one of the kids, albeit not quite right but it's done. That or Roomba takes care of it for me.

Sunday is no cleaning.

Laundry:

Monday- Towels

Tuesday- Whites

Wednesday- light Colors/khakis

Thursday- darks

Friday- Jeans

No laundry on Saturday or Sunday unless I forgo laundry on Friday and it gets done on Saturday. ;)

I have to do at least 2 loads of laundry each day, and it is never all done... that's just life with 11 people living together. (I have tried to delegate it, but I don't mind doing laundry and I don't like the teens doing it, so it stays "my chore")

I try to keep my own bathroom wiped down daily (very basic) and clean my tub and floor weekly.

I make my bed daily.

Everyone has a basic chore and if those get done somewhat regularly, it stays decent around the house... but, we all get busy and then I have to call everyone together and get us all on track...

Generally, each day these things get done: sweep, bathroom wiped down (cleaned thoroughly every 3-4 days), trash out, table cleaned.

I cook and help whoever has the dishes job. Mopping takes place about every 3 days, though I have dreams of a daily fresh, clean kitchen floor!

We have all tile floors, so no vacuuming. A weekly mop job through the house works around here.

My schedules

Daily in Chronological Order from the time I get up to bedtime:

Upon waking: empty dishwasher, put load of laundry in (1 load a day), Make bed, help kids with their morning chores

Right before lessons at 8:00 move load of laundry to dryer

Fold laundry when dryer is done put in piles to be put away (kids do their own)

Right before lunch I clean a room and the kids do their afternoon chores (Living Room, Master Bedroom, Bathrooms dep. on day: dust, vacuum, wash surfaces, put things away)

Clean up after lunch, load dishwasher

At 4:30 I begin dinner prep (for dinner at 5:30-6:00)

Clean up dinner dishes, load dishwasher, wipe down kitchen, set up coffee, start kids' bedtime routine

Monday is Living Room day (vacuum, dust furniture and baseboards, wash windows & tv)

Tuesday is Master Bedroom day (vacuum, dust furniture, baseboards, wash windows, put things away)

Wednesday is Master Bath day (tub, sink, toilet, windows, sweep/mop, baseboards, mirror)

Thursday is Kids' Bath day (same as Master Bath)

Friday or Saturday is Kitchen day (sweep/mop, removing everything from counters and scrub, wipe down cabinets, clean oven if it needs it, etc.)

The kitchen is swept during the week by one of the kids, albeit not quite right but it's done. That or Roomba takes care of it for me.

Sunday is no cleaning.

Laundry:

Monday- Towels

Tuesday- Whites

Wednesday- light Colors/khakis

Thursday- darks

Friday- Jeans

No laundry on Saturday or Sunday unless I forgo laundry on Friday and it gets done on Saturday. ;)

Thanks, Jessica. This is just the type of response I'm hoping for. It helps to get ideas!

Daily- dishes after each meal, sweeping, clean counters and table top. I also groom and water plants if needed.

Every other day- laundry (usually 1 load) replace hand towel in bathroom, replace kitchen towels, and dust.

End of week- wash all rugs and sheets, dust, sweep, mop, clean toilet, mirrors, alcohol swab the phone, computer, and stereo. I also sweep the front porch area and deck.

That is pretty much it.

Daily:

Sweep kitchen

Wipe down counters

Dishes

Tidy up

Weekly: I do my weekly cleaning on Mondays and my kids have some of the jobs and I have others.

vaccuum

wash floors

clean bathrooms

dust

clean up kids bookshelves and closets

laundry (yes, I do a bunch of loads all on one day!)

Quarterly:

I have 9 "zones" in my house and I rotate through them one each week, making sure things are thoroughly cleaned in that zone.

Yearly: Every summer I do a serious deep cleaning of the whole house before we start up school again.

Mindy could you elaborate on your zone cleaning for me? I think I'd love to do something along those lines here at my house.

Thanks!

Jackie

Yup!

I just broke my house into 9 sections. :001_smile: I chose 9 because my lesson planning is quarters and it seemed to make sense. For example, zone 1 is my school room. So, even though that room gets tidied up regularly, during week 1, I do a more thorough cleaning of the room, organize stuff, clean beyond the surfacy stuff. That way, I work my way through the house 4 times each year.

I just made out chore charts for each of my dc, even dd/18 who still lives at home but isn't in school has one. I then have a master chart for myself so I don't have to keep going to each of their rooms to see their charts that are taped to the backs of their bedroom doors.

Everyday everyone makes their own beds, takes laundry to laundry room, and has one chore that has to be done daily i.e. recycling, feeding dog, taking out trash, doing dishes, ect.

Three times a week the house gets vacuumed and a different child does this each of those days. The bathrooms get "cleaned" once a week and then wiped down everyother day with a clorox wipe. The house is dusted once a week and this includes pictures, blinds, tv and computer screens, furniture, and ceiling fans.

I have to do three loads of laundry a day and that is just what I do, this does not include the laundry my kids 10-up do on their own.

There's more, but maybe this will help. We do do a major cleaning on Saturdays, but it doesn't take all day like some would think. We usually start about 9 and go to 12.

The laundry day idea doesn't work for me. My washer is too small to let it pile up and my laundry is actually more determined by the weather since I don't have a dryer. I have to wait for dry days. But hope for no long dry spells because we're also on a dug well. :D

No real schedule here either. Laundry once or twice in a day. Dishes after a meal. An hour of puttering either side of lunch. I passed the bathroom (whole thing, hee hee) to my daughter (10) and the living room (just the small stuff for now) to my son (6). I do think I may have to start scheduling though - not so the housework will get done but I intend to draw comic books one day and I don't give myself any time for practice and projects related to that.

Well, small house, small family, fairly tidy people...for many years I did my major cleaning on Fridays--change sheets on the beds, put out clean towels, all the laundry, all the dusting, clean the bathroom, mop the floors, even wash the car. The rest of the week was just maintenance.

Now that I live in a ginormous house, I can't do it all in one day, even though it's just dh and me living at home. So on Friday I change sheets and towels and wash/dry/put them away. I clean bathrooms (one upstairs, one downstairs), and maybe vacuum upstairs. On Mondays, I do dh's and my clothes--two loads. There might be miscellaneous things like tablecoths or whatnots.

The kitchen is cleaned daily...well, I guess it would be better to say that it is kept clean all day. My goal is to dustmop daily (all hardwood floors); sometimes I'm good with that, sometimes not. I clean the floors (using Bona) when I think they need it :-) They were clean more regularly when I had crawling babies, lol.

I try to water all the houseplants on the same day each week; right now I think it's Tuesdays, but I can't be sure:confused:

Beds are made daily, clean dishcloth and dishtowel daily, clean handtowel in the bathroom daily.

Other household maintenance things are done when I think about it.

Our habits evolve as kids grow older and are more able to shoulder part of the responsibility.

As far as daily chores:

about 3+ loads of laundry

loading/unloading dishwasher 3x per day

kitchen floor is swept 3x per day

1/2 bath cleaned 1x/day

everything else is done on an as needed basis (vacuuming occurs more than once/week. It is done when it looks like it needs to be done! :) )

private bathrooms are cleaned weekly

windows washed when they no longer look like windows!! (that can be every couple of days for our back door!)

kids pick up toys several times per day or when mom says "looks like it is time to weed out the number of toys you own)

Sometimes when kids want to earn extra money or have earned some "you need to contribute to the family" time.....base boards and doors get washed, ceiling fans get dusted, front porch gets swept or power washed (depends on the age of the child)

My biggest nemisis right now is getting the kids to bring their sheets to wash!! I expect the older kids to remake their beds, so they prefer to pretend that their sheets are fine. ;)

I am a chronic insomniac so my daily cleaning depends on if I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night for a couple weeks running. I've also got a list on my computer of the monthly and seasonal chores. I'll find it and copy/paste.

If the house is clean (like today) tomorrow I'll get up and do the following:

Stare at the boards on the computer until the caffeine is zipping.

Get breakfast for dd and me.

Put the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher

Tidy the kitchen

Use either a Pledge wipe or a rag with disinfectant to wipe down surfaces in the living areas

Vacuum downstairs

Run the Floormate in the kitchen and bath

Start a load of laundry 1-2 a day

Make beds

Get showered, dressed and face on

Wipe down bathroom with Lysol wipes

School (or free time) and dry or hang out laundry when washed. I do this after I get dd started on lessons.

Lunch prep

Lunch clean up

Fold and put away laundry

School (or free time)

Dinner prep

Dinner clean up

Run dishwasher

Family tidy up time

PJ routine

Empty dishwasher when dishes are done

Bed

All of that takes less than an hour and a half broken down throughout the day.

Once a week I get on hands and knees and get those places clean that the Floormate can't get to.

The extra load of daily laundry is for sheets, bedding, afghans, etc., and only on an as needed basis. With only three of us the laundry stays done with one load a day.

On a semi-monthly basis the carpets get cleaned. I have a dog and cats so I feel like carpet cleaning is something I have to do regularly because of them.

A deep semi-monthly or monthly cleaning involves the following: (I do semi-monthly if my insomnia kicks in and I'm barely functioning for more than two weeks. Once I crash, generally the next day I start cleaning.)

Laundry Room:

sweep

check dryer ductwork

wipe off washer/dryer

take out garbage

Check for cobwebs

Kitchen

scrub floor - yes I do it on hands and knees

declutter

straighten cupboards

straighten drawers

clean light fixtures

clean oven vent

clean oven vent filter

wash blinds

clean window sills

wash windows

clean screens

wash walls

wash woodwork

clean oven

wash top and outside of refrigerator

clean inside of refrigerator

sort freezer

clean coffee pot

wash do-dads

clean small appliances and canisters

Check for cobwebs

Living Room

vacuum

clean carpet

vacuum furniture

dust furniture

straighten bookshelves

clean drawers

wash windows

wash windowsills

wash curtains

wipe down blindes

clean woodwork

inspect/wash walls

throw away old periodicals

dust lamp shades and bulbs

clean out computer desk

clean art frames

dust whatnots

Check for cobwebs

Dining Room (when I had a dining room)

clean mirrors

dust furniture

vacuum

clean carpet

straighten china cabinet

straighten books under fishtank

clean drawers

wash windows

wash windowsills

wipe down blinds

clean woodwork

inspect/wash walls

clean art frames

dust whatnots

Check for cobwebs

Bedroom

vacuum

clean carpet

dust furniture

straighten bookshelves

clean drawers

wash windows

wash windowsills

wash curtains

wipe down blinds

clean woodwork

inspect/wash walls

dust lamp shades and bulbs

clean art frames

dust whatnots

Check for cobwebs

Bathroom

wash mirror

wash counter and sink

clean commode

sweep

scrub floor

clean tub

clean cabinets

clean drawers

take out garbage

clean woodwork including cabinets

inspect/wash walls

wash closet doors

clean light fixture

wash do-dads

check grout, plan repair work

inspect plumbing

wash shower curtain

School room

vacuum

clean carpet

vacuum furniture

dust furniture

straighten bookshelves

clean drawers

clean woodwork

inspect/wash walls

throw away old periodicals

clean art frames

dust whatnots

Check for cobwebs

(Sorry I can't figure out how to change the font back to normal.)

Sometime in late August I'll do all of the above and declutter closets, dresser drawers and under the bed. I have to use under bed storage. I'll do it again usually between Thanksgiving and Christmas, again before Easter and one more time the first week of June when I'm done with school and school records

Hope that helps in some way.

I *try* to designate days to certain chores. If I get the daily dishes done and the floors swept I am happy these days.

I do 2 loads of laundry per day - small machine. One in the morning and one at night. Friday, I do all sheets/bedding/stuffed animals.

I have trouble carving time out on a daily basis for chores that aren't urgent kwim.

I love reading what others do. We are not incredibly organized in our approach, but, in general, this is how cleaning goes:

DAILY

Other than kitchen, chores are "supposed" to be done before breakfast or within 15 minutes after.

child 1 in charge of kitchen--after every meal put food away, do dishes, wipe counters, sweep; bleach sink as needed.

child 2 daily cleanup of shared kids' bathroom--put away anything left out, wipe all surfaces, swish toilet bowl, clean mirror (FLY Lady approach)

child 3 daily cleanup of downstairs bathroom and mudroom--(FLY Lady approach on bathroom); put stuff in mudroom away, sweep as needed

child 4 (5yo) empty dishwasher whenever needed and sweep whenever asked

everybody--beds made and clothes put away before breakfast; asked to make sure all other stuff put away before each meal and before any tv/play time

WEEKLY (they can pick which day to do this, Saturday morning at the latest)

child 1 family room--vacuum carpet, blinds, baseboards, and all woodwork;

child 2 front room and entry--same

child 3 upstairs hallway, balcony, and bedroom (they all share one bedroom)--same

child 4 (5yo) empty all garbages

SOMETIMES

We all grab rags and wash the tile floor in the kitchen when we notice that our socks are getting dirty. Or, when there is a spill, kids get a rag and wash that spot.

Hubby washes windows.

For laundry, the kids (all girls) have a hamper in their room into which go all dirty socks and underwear. When they run out of clean, they put in a load and wash it. (They come get me to pour in the bleach.)

Other laundry also gets done eventually. Mom and Dad have their own laundry hampers, which I take care of as they get full (whites, darks, and everything else). Mostly the older girls (13 and 11) put in a load of kids clothes here and there when there is something they want to wear that is not clean. 9yo always puts her soccer clothes in to wash and often does loads of bathroom and beach towels. I take care of dishtowels and rags. I usually take clothes out of dryer and spread them out in a pile in the hallway in front of the bedroom door, and kids put their own clothes away. I admit that with this "system" we often get a pileup, but, in some ways, I think it helps create the "need" for my kids to do their own laundry rather than relying on me to do it for them.

I'm finding this book very intriguing and I would be interested in learning what your cleaning routines are like. Do you clean in the morning before school, in the interstices between school subjects, after school is over, on the weekends, etc.? Thanks.
A solid, if sometimes laboured effort in the semi-autobiographical fantasy genre; the author for the most part convincingly portrayed herself in as a neurotic and compulsive character with a judgmental nature.

I'm only half joking. I read it cover to cover when it came out, but follow none of it. I clean when and where I can. If I find five extra minutes, I'll use them to do something and find that those little spurts (sorry genie) add up during the course of the day.

Monday-

Clean downstairs bathroom

Tuesday-

Clean kitchen

Thursday-

Clean upstairs bathroom

Dust and straighten bedrooms

Quick-clean downstairs bathroom

Take out all trash

Friday-

Dust downstairs

Vacuum

Wash all sheets and towels

Wednesdays I either just do maintenance stuff or I do extra household tasks.

Daily (maintenance):

Laundry- I do it every day except Sundays.

Kitchen- All the cleaning after we eat, sweeping floor, etc.

General- I hate clutter so I'm pretty good at keeping surfaces clean and tidy. I have the kids help me pick up toys in their areas before lunch and dinner so we keep on top of that. Both dh and I are also kind of "do what needs to be done" kind of people. So if I see something that needs doing I just do it then.

Other bigger stuff I just do as I see it needs doing. Cleaning the fridge, cleaning the ceiling fans, washing windows, etc.

I should also say that in all honesty I'm not that great of a housekeeper. I don't like clutter so I try to keep things neat. And the house is clean enough, but not perfect by any standards. And, dh does a lot. I'm typically need to "remind" him that it's time to vacuum again but he does it.

Daily Morning:

put away dishes, make beds, clean litterbox, feed and water pets (cats & rabbits)

Daily Evenings:

sweep, wash dishes, put away the day's clutter, help the children pick up toys, bathe everyone, braid hair for bed, help pull weeds and pick any produce that is ready

Weekly:

Monday--fold and put away clothes, every other week grocery shopping

Tuesday--bathroom, fridge and trash

Wednesday--children's room deep clean (they pick up toys, I move things and sweep behind)

Thursday--library and other errands

Friday--park day

Saturday--whole house clean

Sunday--wash clothes

During canning season, I do add preserving produce to this list which means that I either dry, freeze or can something for later use.

Monthly:

scrub baseboards & walls, clean out closets and attic stairs, vaccum basement stairs, clean out garage

I love this kind of reading. I have it requested at our library.

My schedule is loose. I have done different things over the years. I am more reactionary than I would like to be, but things get done. I must do laundry daily or else I am stuck with Mount Laundry. That much I know. I am looking forward to reading the book.

Here is our schedule, although I am not perfect in keeping it up, LOL!

Sun: nothing

Mon: nothing

Tues: laundry

Wed: kitchen and bathrooms

Thurs: dust / vacuum downstairs

Fri: dust / vacuum upstairs

Sat: laundry

Each morning, I sweep the kitchen, put dishes away from the night before, and clean the litter box. The girls have a basket where they place things that are theirs - usually toys and shoes that need to go back upstairs. They empty that basket before lunch and again before bed. I HTH!

Nope, I am just not that organised! Which is why I need Flylady but it still doesnt make me perfect or within a zillion light years of one of those housewives from the 50s (like my MIL! Fortunately my mother was housework challenged herself so I dont have anyone to live up to there!)

I have some sort of ideal of doing a wash a day, but the truth is, now that the kids are doing their own washing (well, supposed to be, and when they finally run out of clothes, they generally do) and since DH has always done his own washing since I met him (I tried once, washed a white with a colour or something, and that was it, he took it over again. He's like that. It's my MIL- she trained him. )

I change sheets when I start to notice that "no longer very fresh" feeling (or smell). :)

I do towels every week or so when I am passing the bathroom with my own wash basket and I think of it.

I do try and have the kids vacuum on Saturday mornings. But they are away so often on camps and various activities it isn't as regular as I would like. Generally it's done once a week by them or me.

However, we are good at the kitchen. It seems to make all the difference to the housework not feeling overwhelming or out of control- we do dishes before bed, and I regularly deep clean, clean out cupboards, shine my sink, wipe down cupboards etc. It may just be because I spend so much time in there and I have formed some good habits- unpacking the dishwasher while the kettle is boiling, that sort of things. Both kids have heavy kitchen duties too- they alternate weeks to do ALL the dishes, so that frees me up to do the extra stuff.

Most of those women who were so organised took a lot of pride in their homes- since most didn't work out of the home, the home reflected them, was their identity, more so probably than for us today because it was strongly embedded in the culture. Now everyone is so busy busy busy all the time.

I used to be really, really bad at housework. Flylady helps me keep things relatively ok, although the dust is not looking good lately. Its not that I really DO the Flylady thing religiously, its just that getting the emails and saying I do Flylady keeps it always niggling away at the back of my mind, and gives me a game plan when I do get around to housework :)

• 9 months later...