Menu

math suggestions for a motivated 12 yo??

mom@shiloh

My 12 year old ds loves math and picks it up easily.  We've been using CLE 6, but we're skipping huge sections of it because it is just too easy for him.  I'd like to find something that challenges him more.  His two older brothers are doing MUS pre-algebra and Algebra I.  They do not love math and it doesn't come easily for them, so even though I know my 12 yo could do what they're doing, I'd like to get a different program for him so as not to discourage them.  

My older children did Saxon, so that's familiar to us.  I've also heard good things about Jacob's, so I'd consider that, but don't know where to start there.  Would Mathematics:  A Human Endeavor    be the place to begin with that?

We've used some LOF, but I'm not sure which would be the right book there either.  Also, toying with Jousting Armadillos.

Anyway, I could use some suggestions.  I'm currently homeschooling my youngest five and several of them have learning issues which require quite a bit of my time, so anything I get for the 12 yo has to be something fairly independent.

Highly motivated?  I'd look at Art of Problem Solving.  Very rigorous, demands a lot of kids.  They have videos on their website, as well.  For the right kid, it can be done independently.  

Other options are the computer-based programs, such as teaching textbooks and the ones for sale at the Homeschool Buyers Coop

Have you looked into Horizons Math?  It now goes up through Algebra 1.  It's colorful, and the lessons are written to the student.  Also, it's probably something like honors-level math.

And whichever one you decide on, I'd recommend using Singapore Math's Intensive Practice series (maybe starting with 5A) as a resource for extra enrichment problems.  It contains a large variety of problems that I'd consider to be gifted/talented level, more like puzzle-y math problems that don't require additional math skills but do require higher-level problem-solving skills.  And if you wanted even more, try their Challenging Word Problems series, maybe starting with level 4. 

HTH!

Art of Problem Solving is challenging - it really stretches their mathematical thinking and expands their conceptual understanding. We love it! Both my kids using it say they love math (they didn't I'd to). It is written to the student, and the pacing is easy to adjust because of that.