Menu

Withdrawing mid-week to homeschool?

It's a long story, but we have had to wait until the beginning of this year in order to pull our daughter from school and begin homeschooling. We had thought to deliver our letter today, with Monday her first day of homeschool. However, we still have some paperwork outstanding (a report we are waiting to come in) and a piece of equipment to return on Monday. So it was worth it to us to take an extra couple of days.

Our state does not require any notice, I did check with HSLDA. However, I am wondering if anyone else has done so and encountered any problems? We want to turn in letter mid-week, and definitely be homeschooling by next Friday.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Amy

we pulled out midweek. no one gave us any trouble. my only regret was that in was in the middle of standardized testing, and my state requires testing every other year. had I allowed ds to complete the week we wouldnt have had to test the next year.

I pulled my son, even without permission. His presence at the school was very disruptive. This was the mid 90s and the other kids were fascinated, at what was about to happen. My son had been and continued to be "on strike" and wouldn't even eat at school. I got sick of the slow paperwork, and just pulled him. The school told me, "You can't do that!" I did it anyway. Nothing happened.

I'm in a state that doesn't require notice. I went to the school and asked what it would take to legally withdraw a then-14-year-old to homeschool and they said they just needed a written note from me stating I was withdrawing her to homeschool so that I wouldn't be in violation of attendance laws. I asked for a sheet of paper, wrote something like "I am withdrawing ________ from public school and intend to homeschool her." and signed it. No trouble at all.

Yesterday was my son's last day!  I delivered our letter of intent to home school today and emailed his school as well this afternoon.  As of Monday we will home school, today was a break day :) .  In the car after a visit to the park my son told me he has been waiting for this his whole life (to home school that is, he is 10 yrs old) and that he felt such joy.  So my answer to you is- any day that works for your family is the right day!

We withdrew in the middle of a week, about 17 days into the school year. My only regret is that DS's 4th grade teacher was convinced it was because he was stung by bees on the playground the day before! I ran into her recently and I think she still feels guilty.

Turning in the note, to me, was the worst.(My kids did well at PS and we weren't unhappy so it came as a huge surprise to our tiny school). Just take a deep breath and get it over with. You will have so much fun once you do. Good luck!