Menu

Hits so far this year?

Algebra1 and Physics with Derek Owens, Latin with the Lukeion Project, Laurel Tree Tutorials for HS Composition.

Hmmm, you're using the other two online classes we have too! They are both good two, but DO has really got quick response down in an amazing way. 

One is in a local invitation-only class that integrates history, lit, writing, and government.  Stellar teacher, worth far more than we paid.  No regrets there at all.  They're using the Lost Tools of Writing and reading a book nearly every week.  The day I sat in was meaty and thoughtful.

The other is in Lukeion AP Latin, which is IMHO even better than their Latin 3.  It is HARD, but really good.  DIVE Chem with the BJUP book is going extremely well, as is Omnibus.  We used those choices last year too.

Both took the Landry Academy "Chemistry Intensive" (2 days), and it was extremely well done.  That takes care of a good percentage of the chem labs.  We'll do a few more at home and watch the DIVE ones as well. It was a little above my younger one's head, but still valuable.  

Those are my "big" hits.  Everything else is fine.  No misses, thankfully.

I decided to use Derek Owens for Physics and I can't say enough about well things have been working with that. His turn out around is nothing sort of amazing. 

How is this class structured (live time, reading, assignments, labs)?

I've been planning on using CPO Physics: A First Course next year w/ dd in 8th, as we had such a great year with it when my older dds did it. But we had three families and four kids getting together for labs that year.  Right now it's at most two families and two kids for next year; I'm worried that it may not happen (if we don't do collaborative labs, they don't happen here...)  So I'm wondering if I should have DO Physics on tap for "Plan B".

How much math is in DO's course?  Dd will be finished with AoPS Algebra by then, but will not have had any Trig yet.  Is his Physics course suitable for an 8th grader?  It says it's based on Giancoli, which the local high school uses for Trig-based Honors Physics junior year... or is this a different version of Giancoli?

I forgot AoPS Java Programming.  Actually all his classes are hits :hurray:  It took us quite a bit to find a format and classes that fit his needs; we did a lot of curriculum jumping last year because I wanted to find what works before high school.  We plan on keeping DO for math through calculus.

Fun thread! Some of our hits for this year so far (10th & 11th grades):

AP Latin with Lukeion (definitely tough, but well done)

AP Calculus w/ Derek Owens

Professor Carol's Circle of Scholars class on Imperial Russia (love this!)

A homemade Russian Lit. course based on Weil's Teaching Co. course (fabulous!)

GPB Chemistry (a surprise hit)

a local British Lit co-op class with a wonderful teacher

Art classes at local Uni.

For us the biggest hit is definitely classes at the local science center. She's doing two dissections a month, and a biology class each month. The biology teacher is super nice and helped her with questions she had from her biology work at home.

Besides that, saxon, saylor.org, and artes latinae are working well as usual and a lot is just self study.

Hits for DS17: 

online AP Computer Science and Forensics (NDCDE) - excellent classes and the teachers are really on top of the grading and very responsive both on the phone and via email.

Homegrown Science Fiction and Fantasy course - loving the books and DS is actually getting some good essays put together.

(also his AP Calc BC class at the public high school is a hit.  DS loves this teacher!)

DD - Foerster's Algebra 2.  This is the Prentice Hall Classics version and is no push-over - definitely rigorous Alg 2 and Trig.  I am having to review my Alg 2 before DD works the lessons (it's been a few years).  Fortunately, I bought the solutions manual for me!  She is making good progress in a very tough math course.

[...]

How much math is in DO's course?  Dd will be finished with AoPS Algebra by then, but will not have had any Trig yet.  Is his Physics course suitable for an 8th grader?  It says it's based on Giancoli, which the local high school uses for Trig-based Honors Physics junior year... or is this a different version of Giancoli?

Lectures are recorded, almost Khan Academy like in style, but DS found the presentation more fun and helpful vs Khan's style.

Assignments, chapter tests and lab sheets are downloaded from DO's site. You can download the notes/ practice pages for note-taking while listening to the lectures or you may buy them as a workbook from Derek's Lulu store.

The semester exams are emailed to you once your student is ready to take them.

Complete and scan homework assignments and email them to Derek (scanned as jpgs) for grading. As Candid mentioned, his turnaround is pretty quick. Every month you are invoiced according to workload. DS chose to do the course at a slower pace so we were billed $29/ month till we reached the $580 total. He spent about 2-4 hours a week. I would assume a normal pace to be about 5 hours a week and you will be billed $58/monthly at that pace. Physics syllabus here. You can choose to do honors or regular. If you choose honors, you may switch to regular if needed. He is very flexible.

There is a lot of math. A good grasp of algebra is often enough. There's a small amount of trig and DS didn't find it a problem. DS was in 4th grade when he started the course and DO was very welcoming and supportive of that. We did not sign him up for high school credit but purely for interest so I don't think the grade level will be an issue...it's the math knowledge and interest imho. DS consulted the 4th ed. of Giancoli whenever he was stuck or he emailed Derek (or asked DH) for help instead.

Edited for accuracy and more info.

Lectures are recorded, almost Khan Academy like in style, but DS found the presentation more fun and helpful vs Khan's style.

Assignments, chapter tests and lab sheets are downloaded from DO's site. You can download the notes/ practice pages for note-taking while listening to the lectures or you may buy them as a workbook from Derek's Lulu store.

The semester exams are emailed to you once your student is ready to take them.

Complete and scan homework assignments and email them to Derek (scanned as jpgs) for grading. As Candid mentioned, his turnaround is pretty quick. Every month you are invoiced according to workload. DS chose to do the course at a slower pace so we were billed $29/ month till we reached the $580 total. He spent about 2-4 hours a week. I would assume a normal pace to be about 5 hours a week and you will be billed $58/monthly at that pace. Physics syllabus here. You can choose to do honors or regular. If you choose honors, you may switch to regular if needed. He is very flexible.

There is a lot of math. A good grasp of algebra is often enough. There's a small amount of trig and DS didn't find it a problem. DS was in 4th grade when he started the course and DO was very welcoming and supportive of that. We did not sign him up for high school credit but purely for interest so I don't think the grade level will be an issue...it's the math knowledge and interest imho. DS consulted the 4th ed. of Giancoli whenever he was stuck or he emailed Derek (or asked DH) for help instead.

Thanks so much for all the detailed info!

Does he give a grade/transcript at the end?  Dd is likely going to ps for high school, and as I said they use Giancoli for their (usually 11th grade) Honors Physics, which is normally a pre-req for AP Physics - if she's already taken the course, I'd like for her to be able to skip it and go right to AP.  I think it could help if I have outside verification that she's already successfully completed the course.

It's very good to know that she could give honors a try and drop back down if needed.

Is there somewhere to see a sample video lecture?  I know my kids don't like Khan, so I'd have to let her give a look and see if she likes the presentation style.

ETA: How are the labs handled?  Do the kids do the labs themselves at home?  Is there a kit?  Or do they have to buy supplies themselves?  Or are the labs virtual somehow?

Western Civ classes at local community college taught by gem of a PhD prof covering philosophy, history, literature using excerpts from many of the books recommended by SWB in the WTM- readings and discussion format too! Sort of an accelerated/abbreviated SWB WTM. Broken into just two semesters (wish it were more) - first semester covers through the Renaissance, second semester Modern Era. Gets it done for my math/science senior son. Also, I hate to say it- but BJUP Literature - it gets done!

Does he give a grade/transcript at the end?  Dd is likely going to ps for high school, and as I said they use Giancoli for their (usually 11th grade) Honors Physics, which is normally a pre-req for AP Physics - if she's already taken the course, I'd like for her to be able to skip it and go right to AP.  I think it could help if I have outside verification that she's already successfully completed the course.

It's very good to know that she could give honors a try and drop back down if needed.

Is there somewhere to see a sample video lecture?  I know my kids don't like Khan, so I'd have to let her give a look and see if she likes the presentation style.

ETA: How are the labs handled?  Do the kids do the labs themselves at home?  Is there a kit?  Or do they have to buy supplies themselves?  Or are the labs virtual somehow?

You are welcome! I'm not sure about a transcript. DS is in the final chapter now and hasn't finished (he is taking it REALLLY slow lol). I will ask Derek about this. It will be helpful to me to know too. Derek does have an online gradebook for the parent to track progress. He sends you the link each time he checks/ corrects an assignment or test or lab sheet. The gradebook shows grades and also semester averages for all tests and assignments.

You can see samples for the Physical Science course at Derek's Lucid Education site.

Son needed help for the first few labs (he had just turned 9 after all and has some exec function issues), usually the ones that needed a helper to time or hold something while he timed it and so on. Most of the later labs he handled on his own. You might have to help your DD or if you have 2 kids doing it they can do it as a pair. Not a kit, you use household supplies. The only thing we didn't have was a meter-long piece of board/ wood and I ordered that from Home Science Tools if I remember correctly. And oh, I forgot...there are 2 labs that require a lens and electrical stuff. If you don't already have the things, you can buy (or I think rent too) supplies for those labs from Derek for a small sum. No virtual labs.

Well, my son is taking a different path than many WTM students. So, listing his hits won't be terribly helpful to others. But I want to play, anyway.

He continues to enjoy Latin through FLVS. He's doing Latin II this year.

He's really loving dual enrollment, in general. He's doing well in all three classes, very well in two, and loves being on campus. He's especially excited about his U.S. Government class. He seems to understand now why people have for years told him he might make a good lawyer.

And, of course, the unlimited class plan at his dance studio pretty much makes life worth living, for him.

I've been planning on using CPO Physics: A First Course next year w/ dd in 8th, as we had such a great year with it when my older dds did it. But we had three families and four kids getting together for labs that year.  Right now it's at most two families and two kids for next year; I'm worried that it may not happen (if we don't do collaborative labs, they don't happen here...)  So I'm wondering if I should have DO Physics on tap for "Plan B".

I asked my ds about this so I'd get an accurate view for you.

He says that there are lectures each week which total around 2 hours. He is told to use the workbook/text while doing the lecture which he does. 

He then does 3 - 4 homework assignments. He thinks the average is 3 per week and about 30 - 45 minutes per assignments. At least one of them will be an experiment. The supplies for the experiments are minimal (under $30) and most things that ds has needed he has found himself. 

As for math, ds thinks you should go by what Mr. Owens says. He is sure that Algebra is necessary is less sure about trig, but we did Singapore math so he does not see the same breakdown in math that we do since in Singapore it is all mixed together. 

I think the good news is that Derek Owens Physics may not ever fill up. So you can wait until quite late to sign up if you must. BUT check with them on this fact. It's just what I have experienced. 

10th grader:

We've always loved Trisms, and it's going well this year.  Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish and translating Harry Potter has worked out better than I thought it would (phew!!!), Foerster Algebra 2 - good book.  All of the Teaching Company videos we have watched have been great.  My DS loves LLfromLOTR - just his cuppa. 

Nothing has been a flop - but I'm not as thrilled with Chemistry as I thought I'd be....  Nothing wrong with it, just not 'woo hoo'.

Notgrass Exploring America- I wish they had a larger offering for high school courses. 

CLE Algebra-My ds started with MUS last year and just didn't get it. Maybe it was maturity. Maybe it was the curricula. Either way, I'm happy to see him understand. It was so worth it to back up and work through the material in a different format.

Homemade American Literature-using many resources to cover a large majority of Am. Lit. chronologically

Things that work but aren't big hits- The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, DIVE Biology with Apologia, Rosetta Stone and Duolingo for Spanish

senior:

BJU Econ surprisingly:  She is learning a great deal and we are enjoying some fascinating discussion

Equine Science: Rick Parker's Equine Science 2007.  That combined with riding and barrel racing classes have been a big hit!

Creative Writing: Watson's Creative Writing plus Writing Great Short Stories.  Dd has mainly focused on nonfiction writing in high school.  This has been a nice break

freshman:

BJU World History:  we are taking 2 years to cover both books so we can really dive into the texts.  Lots of great literature!

TT Algebra 1. 

I just received Derek's answer to the question about transcript:

Yes, I provide a signed grade sheet at the end of the course which you can keep with your records.  The link to the online progress report is relatively permanent, unless you need it removed for some reason.

HTH!

I outsource most classes in high school and they are all going along fine.  However, we do have two huge hits this year outside of the classroom.

Dd 15 has found a perfect volunteer opportunity.  The local humane society was looking for cat readers.  A volunteer sits inside an enclosed, glass room and reads aloud to 3-5 cats while they sit in the reader's lap, get pet, or (I guess) just listen to the story.  You can bring any book you'd like to read.  My dd loves cats and couldn't dream up a better way to get volunteer hours. :D  She finally has time to start on her growing stack of pleasure reading books.

And dd 13 was cast in her first (primarily adult) community theater performance.  Up to now, she has done all children's performances. She plays a daughter.  She really wanted to get this role so she could work with and learn from adult actors. This opportunity has actually caused her to focus more on her school work as she is more motivated than ever to start the dual enrollment theater program as soon as she turns sixteen. :hurray:  

Dd 15 has found a perfect volunteer opportunity.  The local humane society was looking for cat readers.  A volunteer sits inside an enclosed, glass room and reads aloud to 3-5 cats while they sit in the reader's lap, get pet, or (I guess) just listen to the story.  You can bring any book you'd like to read.  My dd loves cats and couldn't dream up a better way to get volunteer hours. :D  She finally has time to start on her growing stack of pleasure reading books.

That sounds like about the best thing ever!

Reminds me of our elderly neighbor sitting in his huge backyard cat run, reading to his kitties. This concerned the mailman enough that he asked us why the lady next door kept her husband in a cage.

Mr. G's online French. My 9th grader loves it!

Art of Argument is well loved. I was worried about some of the topics, but it's been very easy to work around (we do it orally.) It's fun and my kids are learning something entirely new that they enjoy. 

Another big hit has been discovering Erik Satie's music for piano lessons. He's all the rage in our house right now and I never get tired of hearing it. :)

Great thread, I'm looking forward to researching everyone's posts, especially since this is our first year of high school and many of these books, classes, etc, are new to us. 

Link? Secular or religious?

:)

Secular....?? :) I never thought to find out! Secular as far as I know (hope.) 

It's on CurrClick http://www.currclick.com/product/73745/Mr-Gs-Course-Catalog?manufacturers_id=394

Big, big hit! My daughter thinks he's hilarious, she surprisingly enjoys the social part of it, and she's learning a lot. It's very independent work. 

Equine Science: Rick Parker's Equine Science 2007. That combined with riding and barrel racing classes have been a big hit!

HollyDay,

We have that text and my daughter is eager to add it to her schedule, but I have bee holding her off until I can find the supplemental instructor CD. I'm having no luck. Did you purchase the supplemental instructor helps that are talked about on "preface page xiii"??

Thank you,

Traci

Equine Science: Rick Parker's Equine Science 2007. That combined with riding and barrel racing classes have been a big hit!

HollyDay,

We have that text and my daughter is eager to add it to her schedule, but I have bee holding her off until I can find the supplemental instructor CD. I'm having no luck. Did you purchase the supplemental instructor helps that are talked about on "preface page xiii"??

Thank you,

Traci

Our hit this year:  8 pocket spiral bound folders.  The ones we currently have are by Oxford brand office products and are made of that flexible plastic many folders are made of today, but I saw there are recycled paper ones available on Amazon as well.

They make planning, organizing and doing so much more manageable.  I am able to sort each day's handouts, notes and cd/dvds for a given week plus have two more pockets for general notes.  Having several of them allows us to plan/sort ahead.  Dd has one that allows her to keep longer term projects organized.

If you are curious here is a link to what they are:  http://www.c-lineproducts.com/qp6069-8-pocket-spiral-bound-poly-portfolio.html

La Clase Divertide is turning out to be a much better fit for dd than I ever could have expected!  The teacher is hilarious and motivating, and I actually see her learning.  Cha-ching, money well spent!

I agree! It's working well for my ds too.

My ds' favorite subject this year is biology. He has never liked biology! He really enjoys reading the Apologia text (we ditched the DIVE CDrom).

Another hit here is The Art of Thinking Clearly. We read a section or two a day and discuss. Fabulous!