Menu

Irish dance/clogging moms

itsheresomewhere

DD joined clogging.  She is enjoying it.  Currently, we are using tap shoes until we are sure she wants to stick with it.   While I think she will, I am thinking ahead to christmas and thinking of getting a pair.  Where is the best place to buy these?  Her class trades/swaps shoes at the end of the year but she would need to either stop growing or grow 3 shoe sizes to be able to get a pair.  Our studio does not have a recommended place to buy the shoes.

Thanks in advance.  

When I did clogging as a kid we just bought shoes and had the taps put on by the shoe store--I would ask parents at your studio what store they go to.

For Irish dance shoes we buy online or at a feis.

Irish dance shoes were easy.  The studio ordered those.  The clogging class is small.   I did ask the other parents and they really just wait for the swap at the end of the year.  One parent said just get the closest size at the swap and double/triple the socks.  Clogging class is using the studio but separate from the irish dancing.  

We ordered shoes from amazon and taps from this place:

http://www.stevensclogging.com/gdept.aspx?dept_id=02-001

Then the dad of one of the students put on the taps.  This company will put taps on shoes that you buy from them.  They are a very friendly company if you call with questions and their order   here pretty quickly.  If you have them install the taps, pay attention to their return policy, I know it is different if you have the taps installed.  For us, since we have access to someone who can put them on and take them off, we will just keep buying shoes only for whoever has the biggest foot and have the taps changed over.  I agree with buying up a size and wearing thick socks if your child is growing, especially if they aren't required to do toe stands or anything.  Get a little more use out of them.

Cost was a factor for us, so we ordered synthetic shoes.  If your child is still growing, definitely go with the synthetic until their feet stop.  They aren't as pliable as the leather, but so far has not really been an issue for us.