Menu

Weak tutorial classes... what to do now?

Hi.  We have homeschooled for many years with the help of a tutorial and always had a great experience.  Because my daughter entered middle school this year we changed tutorials, but this tutorial is not proving to be as academically sound as what we are used to.  So, since we can't get our money back for this year, we are having to make it work.  

So far what has happened is they cover something in class and afterwards I realize how much they have skimmed over and then have to reteach the concepts to my daughter.  Picture a math traditional math text being used, but only the most straightforward problems from each lesson being taught and assigned at the tutorial and some lessons just being totally skipped.  Or looking at a science text that she has already "covered" in class, but sitting down to talk with her about it and realizing she really doesn't know any of it despite good grades on an overly simplistic test at the tutorial.  This has been a very frustrating way to handle it for all of us!   I have talked with the teachers and the board and they are happy with they way things are and don't see a need for change.  Fine for them, but not fine for us!  

The two subjects I have most concern about are math and science.  Fortunately, she reads way above grade level anyway so literature can somewhat go by the wayside for a year if it has to.  I am teaching grammar and geography at home on my own anyway (thank goodness).  

My question is what do I do about the pre-algebra and science?  Going behind and picking up the pieces like we have been the past couple of months is not working, it is too disorganized and frustrating each time I realize how little they have covered.

I am thinking about making the switch in my mind to being the main instructor of these subjects and then letting the tutorial be extra practice.  I was not prepared to do that this year; it is certainly not what we are paying for; and, I have a 2 yr old at home, so I am seriously even wondering if I can pull it off.  

I am praying that someone out there has been in this situation before and had to find a way to make it work.  Next year we will definitely be doing something else, but if anyone has any ideas of what to do this year I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks so much!

It meets two days a week, and she is home the other three days.  She has some assignments for those other days, but I don't feel like the work load is very heavy.  She does have extra time for some more instruction from me during the days that she is at home, but it will mean doubling up because she will still need to complete the tutorial work as well.  The instructors at the tutorial are certified teachers who desire to work part-time.  Hope that helps explain a little more. 

It meets two days a week, and she is home the other three days.  She has some assignments for those other days, but I don't feel like the work load is very heavy.  She does have extra time for some more instruction from me during the days that she is at home, but it will mean doubling up because she will still need to complete the tutorial work as well.  The instructors at the tutorial are certified teachers who desire to work part-time.  Hope that helps explain a little more. 

Ah. This sounds like a University model school.

I will check out the resources you mentioned, lprstn.  Thank you.  

It would be so much easier if I just teaching it all at home or using an online class as opposed to trying to fill in the gaps like this.

Any other ideas, especially in science? My husband is in the science field, so I am hoping that he can do some reteaching.  We just have to establish the routine of doing school with him in the evenings which we are not accustomed to doing.  

If I were you, I would pull my kid out of the tutorial.  You said you can't get your money back, but it sounds like you're also losing much more in terms of valuable time, and dealing with unnecessary frustration, by sticking with it.  You said you could take over teaching your daughter at home, so is there a reason why you can't just do that and drop the tutorial?  If you're looking for permission to do it, that's definitely what I'd do.  And if dropping it is a realistic possibility, I'm sure we can come up with curriculum suggestions if you can share what your daughter has used previously and what she liked or disliked about it.  For science, what does she want to study?