Menu

is there a good way to test reading level?

momma aimee

question about reading:

Is there a good way to 'test' reading level?  I want to know if my son is reading on grade level or not.  i know he needs more confidence; but he is in 2nd grade and i'd like to know if he is reading 'on average' with his peers or if he is really behind.

Anyone know of a way to do this?

We discussed this elsewhere recently but I am too lazy to look it up at the moment...find a book that your child reads confidently and without mistakes but not super easily. Look it up at http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/bookwizard

To cross check, give him these simple tests: http://a2zhomeschooling.com/main_articles/reading_level_assessment/

Wow.  My dd7 is sitting beside me reading The Cricket in Times Square aloud.  Does that mean she's reading at a 5.9 level?? I find that kind of hard to believe, somehow. . . 

My son can read books and words that are far above his grade level, but doesn't always fully comprehend what he's read.  If you ask him a fact question from the reading, he can answer.  If you ask him a question that requires synthesizing the information and giving an answer that is implied but not stated in the reading, he will struggle.  I think reading level would be a combination of word difficulty and comprehension.

I agree.  And my second grader doesn't have sufficient real-world knowledge, or interest, to read most 5-th grade level books.  

It seems that some of these older books. like Charlotte's Web, The Trumpet of the Swan, Cricket, etc. have more advanced vocab so they get a higher reading level, but they are very much at the interest level of younger kids.  If I were taking the whole picture into account - knowledge, interest, ability to decode plus comprehension, I'd guess she's reading at a 3rd grade level.  Maybe late 3rd grade . . . but not late 5th!