Menu

Speech issues and adolescence

My 12 yo dd has a host of diagnoses, but the bottom line is that she is pretty severely dyslexic.  She had six years of speech and language therapy, ending two years ago.  In the past few months, her speech has become very slushy again. She is dropping some sounds completely (usually the ending sound) and pronouncing some sounds unclearly.  I've read that it's normal for kids with speech issues to regress during adolescence. 

My question is, if you have a child who regressed, were you able to get past it without another round of therapy? 

Thanks.

In early adolescence,  the inner mouth goes through a major growth process, which also increases the size of the oral cavity, the space inside the mouth.

So that your DD is suddenly having to adapt to speaking with a new inner mouth, that keeps changing?

Where rather than regression, it is learning to adjust to these changes.

In early adolescence,  the inner mouth goes through a major growth process, which also increases the size of the oral cavity, the space inside the mouth.

So that your DD is suddenly having to adapt to speaking with a new inner mouth, that keeps changing?

Where rather than regression, it is learning to adjust to these changes.

Thanks for the explanation!