Menu

On a Scale on 1 to 5, 5 being the worst...

mathmarm

put me in the overacting camp. :ack2:  

If anyone in my family did that I would probably have an automatic reaction of bopping them in the nose and I would never ever visit them again.

If it was out of the blue, I would also back away with a very bewildered look in my eyes.  Why are you putting your spit in my ear ????!

But if this is something done since childhood, I'd just give my childhood reaction to it, share the laugh, and move on.  (If my childhood reaction was a punch, well, they asked for it.)

Now if I suddenly got the point where I couldn't take it any more, I'd get serious and ask them to please not do that any more.  And they would probably get all weirded out, but it would stop.  We would still see each other.  ;)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

put me in the overacting camp. :ack2:

If anyone in my family did that I would probably have an automatic reaction of bopping them in the nose and I would never ever visit them again.

That seems like a tremendous overreaction to me.

I wouldn't like it if someone did it to me, either, but I'd just laugh and tell the person to stop. I see no need to resort to violence, and it would never even occur to me to never visit them again.

Last night my standard poodle Rowan decided he had to watch me take a hot bath.  The whole time he kept trying to lick me.  I kept telling him to stop he kept licking me and trying to drink my bath water. I guess it is time for me to cut ties and  find him a new home.  Anyone want a adorable poodle that likes to lick?

btw it did ick me out and I do hope he learns to stop.

Last night my standard poodle Rowan decided he had to watch me take a hot bath.  The whole time he kept trying to lick me.  I kept telling him to stop he kept licking me and trying to drink my bath water. I guess it is time for me to cut ties and  find him a new home.  Anyone want a adorable poodle that likes to lick?

btw it did ick me out and I do hope he learns to stop.

You would rehome a dog for that?  Why didn't you just put the dog out of the room and shut the door?Last time I checked, dogs don't have opposable paws and can't open a standard door knob.  

You would rehome a dog for that?  Why didn't you just put the dog out of the room and shut the door?Last time I checked, dogs don't have opposable paws and can't open a standard door knob.  

Sorry, I am joking because of all the people that said they would cut ties over family member licking or such.  I love rowan and he's with me until one of us dies.  I honestly would not take a million bucks for this little guy.

So you are going to cut family ties with some one you love over a silly prank. Your family ties must not be very strong. 

My family don't do silly pranks. we were brought up with very strict view on personal space.

Yes I would break ties with a family member that behaved like that.

the view that some people would think it perfectly normal  is out of my experience of adult behavior. Maybe it as an American thing to put spit on siblings?

My family don't do silly pranks. we were brought up with very strict view on personal space.

the view that some people would think it perfectly normal  is out of my experience of adult behavior. Maybe it as an American thing to put spit on siblings?

I have to agree here, and I like joking around and some pranking. I wouldn't sharply and suddenly cut contact, but after expressing my feelings to this person, if the spitty finger to the ear continued, I would definitely stop issuing invitations.

I also have a very low tolerance for people who instinctively reach over to tickle someone who has raised his/her arms for whatever reason. It's taking advantage of someone in an annoying and unkind way, merely because you've caught someone off guard in a vulnerable position. Not nice, at least not in my book.

It's what families do. It is one of those things that draws them closer. They purposely irritate each other because they love each other. I think the actual truth is that more families should lighten up and not take stuff so seriously.

Not in my family. We really don't tease in that way. We don't violate the "no". I don't think it's fair to expect that of all families.

But yes, my opinion did come out stronger than intended.

I will say again that my family also does not break ties lightly. You'd really have to endanger someone to get exiled from the community. Wet-willy = admonishment. Wet-willy =/= no Thanksgiving.

Heck, my uncle used to irritate everyone so much that some people literally groaned when he walked in the room. Sad but true. We still invite him over. We still hug him and tell him we love him and send him Christmas cards. Even if he did punch my shoulder in a 'joking' way so that I got a bruise.

Ummm... Seriously? Did you really just suggest that it's an American thing to put spit on siblings? :glare:

I don't think most people are saying it's perfectly normal or that it's something they would enjoy, but it's a far cry from saying something is annoying to reacting to it by cutting ties with a family member.

Sorry, but it seems tremendously extreme to break ties over a stupid prank. My family would never do anything like that, either, but if someone did, I would just tell them to stop. I wouldn't threaten to never see them again.