Menu

What Craft/Hobby Thing are you doing this week? week 11

PrincessMommy

Okay everyone... here we go..  Week 11.  How many weeks until Christmas??!!

Today I made a batch of soap using pumpkin spice scent and an burnt orange swirl.  It's sitting in the mold overnight, and I'll cut the bars tomorrow and take some photos.  I also finished the 2nd shawl (blue) of the 3 shawls on my smaller loom today.  I hope to start the 3rd one this week and get the whole thing off the loom.  Last one should go really fast.  I'm just weaving with a variegated yarn in plain weave.

But, tomorrow... I'm so excited!  I'm going to The Mannings  It's one of the few weaving mecca's on the East Coast.  And it's only a 1.5hrs from my home.   Normally most weaving classes are several days to a week long (and rarely over the weekend).  I can't do that.  But, they started offering a one day class on finishings, and it happens to be on a day when I'm not babysitting our grandson, so woo hoo!!  I get to go.  I'm already making a yarn list so I don't over spend.   Taking more weaving classes to increase my skills is a goal of mine, but when in the world do I have a full week to go away??!!   This is just a wonderful opportunity for me, and it's something I desperately need help with. 

Sounds like you'll have a great time on your trip! My MIL used to weave--maybe I already mentioned that. When I first met her she had a giant floor loom and a wall full of wool. She hasn't done any weaving or knitting for years now though; sold the loom at least 15 years ago.

I'm in sock mode. I finished a pair for me--have yet to take pictures. And now I'm working on a gift pair. Then probably another pair for me. Or dh. He really really really loves his hand-knit socks. :thumbup1:

I am sulkily making granny squares while I try to regain my composure after losing my temper over knitted lace.

:lol:   Been there, done that!

I'm working on fingerless gloves for Rebecca and trying to finish a baby sock that looks more like a 2 or 3 year old could fit in it.  It's supposed to be for a 1 year old.  Of course, I have no frame of reference anymore, but  I don't want to look like an idiot and give it as a gift if the child can't wear it yet!

Debbi, that soap sounds amazing!  I would love to try making soap, but I'm intimidated.

At the moment I'm making cat ears for Figaro for the ballet Pinocchio.  The director doesn't want them on a headband, so I'm trying to put them on hair clips:

]10281460644_9776452cb3_m.jpg

The kids are at rehearsal for Legend of Sleeping Beauty -- I still don't have great photos of their costumes for that, in spite of being there with them for 6 hours yesterday  :001_rolleyes:

Also, I'm eating Snyder's Pretzel Dips with dark chocolate, and watching Sherlock (season 2 episode 2).  Not a bad evening home alone. 

Well I had a minor surgery last week and continue to have some imposed restrictions on activities. The good news is that all went well and I am on the mend. In the meantime, I finished my son' s socks that I started months ago and have made significant progress on another sock. A nurse had to take my knitting away from me before I was wheeled into the operating room. Nervous energy = results!

Finished that Cardigan!!! I finally got the second sleeve finished and the same length as the first, so now I just need to block it and sew on some buttons. I'll post a picture when it is all done. During my post cast-off high, I cast on some yarn for a headband/ear warmer to match the fingerless mitts I made for my sister--http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/showcase

This will be for Christmas, and I plan to do another of the same thing to match the mitts I made for my mom, so I have officially started my Christmas knitting.

(Ok, I actually started months ago, since the pair of mitts I posted previously were supposed to be a birthday gift for my mom, but I didn't get them done in time, so they became Christmas mitts instead...LOL)

hand stitching the bindings for 3 folded star quilted pot holders I made last week. Finished 1 red scarf for MIL, started 2nd.

I know a lot of people think it is strange, but I love hand stitching--it is so relaxing to do a nice little whipstitch over and over. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Well I had a minor surgery last week and continue to have some imposed restrictions on activities. The good news is that all went well and I am on the mend. In the meantime, I finished my son' s socks that I started months ago and have made significant progress on another sock. A nurse had to take my knitting away from me before I was wheeled into the operating room. Nervous energy = results!

Can I admit to occasionally daydreaming about a long convalescence from a minor surgery or illness, during which I have copius amounts of yarn, new books and magazines, and a valid excuse not to make dinner? But it never quite works out that way in real life, I know, and I hope that your recovery is swift!

Can I admit to occasionally daydreaming about a long convalescence from a minor surgery or illness, during which I have copius amounts of yarn, new books and magazines, and a valid excuse not to make dinner? But it never quite works out that way in real life, I know, and I hope that your recovery is swift!

Thanks.  Convalescence is annoying though.  Energy levels don't allow for prodigious output.  In my case, I had some limitations on physical activity that includes no bending or lifting.  Hence my husband's role in all of this as Cabana Boy. (While you are daydreaming, don't forget to cast someone in this all important role!)

sigh.  I have like four projects going right now.

3 quilts that are almost pieced,

A dress that I am halfway through.

My nighttime handwork (watching TV project) is redwork quilt squares for a new quilt for my dd's bed.

This week, I'd at least like to get one of the quilt tops completed. We'll see.

I am currently working on getting some pirate costume pieces done for DH and I for our Disney cruise at the beginning of next month.  I have done a waist cincher and short vest for me and I am working on a puffy armed shirt for DH.  I now remember why I like crocheting so much better then sewing.  So many confusing steps.

Does painting my son's ballet shoes count?

The ones we special ordered back in August, which were supposed to arrive in six to eight weeks but were backordered, finally arrived . . . in the wrong color. Apparently, at some point in the communication chain between the U.S. office and Moscow, someone forgot to write "black" on the order form. Without a color designated, the factory defaulted to ballet pink.

This is the second time shoes from this manufacturer have come in the wrong color. So, I know from our experience last year that simply dyeing them doesn't work well. It's fine for the "body" of the shoe, but the dye doesn't take as well on the trim/binding and elastic. I plan to go buy black elastic, but I've decided to try painting the binding with watered-down acrylic before dumping the whole shoes in the dye bath to see if that will result in more consistent coverage.

I suppose there are worse ways to spend an hour on a Tuesday afternoon.

Boy! Everyone is busy. 

Here's my soap I just finished cutting.  They'll cure for about 3 weeks or more before I'll use them.   The "cream" color turned out a little more yellow.  That's because the Pumpkin Spice scent has vanilla in it. Vanilla will turn soap brown.

10300013754_d59cd814b7.jpg

Princess Mommy...the soap does sound amazing. Would you tell me how you made it or post a link to directions?

I've been making cold processed soap (with lye) for about 15 yrs.  There's a bit of a learning curve but, once you've tried it a couple of times it's quite easy.  If you don't have a friend who can teach you (the best way) then these are two websites I recommend to beginners.

Soap Essential's website:

http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/index.html#.Ul3KSFMQM40

I love her site and always find it a source of inspiration.  I've never used her recipes, per se, because I like to make my own.  But, I've learned a lot from her.

Also, the soapmaking forum is good place for more resources:

Boy! Everyone is busy. 

Here's my soap I just finished cutting.  They'll cure for about 3 weeks or more before I'll use them.   The "cream" color turned out a little more yellow.  That's because the Pumpkin Spice scent has vanilla in it. Vanilla will turn soap brown.

I've been making cold processed soap (with lye) for about 15 yrs.  There's a bit of a learning curve but, once you've tried it a couple of times it's quite easy.  If you don't have a friend who can teach you (the best way) then these are two websites I recommend to beginners.

I love her site and always find it a source of inspiration.  I've never used her recipes, per se, because I like to make my own.  But, I've learned a lot from her.

So beautiful!  I've wanted to make soap for years but just have never gotten around to it!

I picked up 10 skeins of Noro Iro at a garage sale a couple of months ago...I just started a sweater for myself with it last night.

I should be getting yarn delivered tomorrow to make dd's double-layer earflap hat. If there's enough, she'll get matching mitts.

So lucky! I love Noro!

Mind if I join in?  I haven't done much crafting for a long time because of my carpal tunnel syndrome and my school work.  But I'm feeling the Autumn crunch.  I'm about half done with a 2T top down raglan jacket in Apricot Malabrigo for my toddler.  I also have an ent mask to make for a friend, some alterations to my son's Whisper Man mask, a ninja costume to make, Athena costume bits (shield, accessories, spray paint the sandals, etc.).  I have yet to decide on my own costume.  I think I've narrowed it down to a Sister of Plentitude, Wicked Stepmother, or Far Dareis Mai.  I need to get cracking!

Boy! Everyone is busy. 

cool!  I've done hot process in the crock pot. I LOVE it. So quick and easy.

I picked up 10 skeins of Noro Iro at a garage sale a couple of months ago...I just started a sweater for myself with it last night.

I should be getting yarn delivered tomorrow to make dd's double-layer earflap hat. If there's enough, she'll get matching mitts.

Seriously!!!??? Noro at at garage sale?!?!

I'm jealous. :drool:

All I ever find at yard sales around here is plastic Red Heart from the 70s. Congrats!

Seriously!!!??? Noro at at garage sale?!?!

I'm jealous. :drool:

All I ever find at yard sales around here is plastic Red Heart from the 70s. Congrats!

LOL - seriously.  

Noro is  such a lovely yarn.  Enjoy your find, Bug'smom.

Well, the woman used to have a yarn/quilt shop. A couple of summers ago she had the BIG garage sale. Yarn was $1 a skein. I about died! I was texting my friends. It's still talked about. Another friend heard that she was having another sale...to sell the stuff she couldn't part with last time. The prices were higher, but still great.  

Noro at a garage sale???   :svengo: Great score!

I finished Rebecca's first "glove."  Need to CO for the second and work hard on it tomorrow.

Oye.  I just finished an afghan I am giving my DD for Christmas. She is coming to visit tomrrow, (OUt of state) so I was going to send home with them a few things I have ready to save on postage.

And so, I start folding it up, and I finished a full 15 stitches narrower than I started!  I have never done that before. The question then is this the afghan we will laugh about in years to come, or will it make me nuts forever!  It's Lion Brand Homespun yarn and does not come apart easily.

I checked and the mistakae apparently happend at about 1/4 of the way thru. 

I have no idea how.........I am just going nuts here tonight!

Noro at a garage sale???   :svengo: Great score!

I finished Rebecca's first "glove."  Need to CO for the second and work hard on it tomorrow.

Yep, owner of a quilt/yarn shop that closed several years ago. The first sale, a few years ago, was even better....$1 a skein!

I am making progress on the costumes...

Wolf...Mask is done, Still have to: make leg cuffs, arm cuffs, tail and fur vest (she will wear grey leggings and long sleeve shirt)

Peacock...Mask modifications done, have to wait for it to dry and hot glue in the AM. Feathers are done, Tulle is cut to length and gathered...Have to figure out a waist band system now.

Ugh the bassinet isn't gonna get done, I can't figure it out and I don't want to tear it apart without a firm plan so now I'm going to start my Christmas crocheting :) I have to make at least 4 gift card holders and some dishcloths. I might dabble into some soap making or something like that anyways as well.

Peacock tutu is done...It will need to be reworked before Halloween though, it was a fly by the seat of your pants sort of experiment for me and my novice sewing skills.

Peacock mask is done.

Wolf arm cuffs are done now as well as the tail.

Taking a short break for lunch then it's vest and leg cuff time. Wish me luck on the vest! It's another fly by the seat of your pants project for me!

You had me at crockpot.  Where can I find this?

I think if you do a search you'll find several good websites.  The soapmaking forum that I linked to above may also have some tips.

I've never made soap from scratch in the crock, but I have rebatched some old bits and pieces along with a batch that had too much lye.  It smelled wonderful but came out looking greenish with bits and flecks of other colors.  We dubbed it the "barf soap". 

I finished my son's quilt! Here's a photo: 

Oops - how does one attach a photo?

I also finished constructing the blocks for my brother's quilt and decided on the layout. Hopefully I will get to sew the blocks together this week. 

Other projects that are in line (all are Christmas presents): 

A Flat Family and their house

A quilt as you go strip quilt (lap size)

Three pillowcase/pillow loungers

I'm also thinking of making a lap quilt for my sister who is having surgery at the end of the month. I actually picked out fabric from a charm pack I picked up earlier this week, but the fabric isn't yet available by the yard. I have to decide whether to wait or to choose other fabric. If I choose other fabric, I need to work on the quilt this week. 

I finished my son's quilt! Here's a photo: 

Oops - how does one attach a photo?

I usually just use the Attach Files [Choose Files] button below the reply box. But before I choose the photo I have to make a copy of it and then use MS Paint to significantly reduce it so it will fit the 62K allowed.

I usually just use the Attach Files [Choose Files] button below the reply box. But before I choose the photo I have to make a copy of it and then use MS Paint to significantly reduce it so it will fit the 62K allowed.

yes, that works.  Or if you have a Flickr (and probably Picassa) account you can do it from there.  You still have to reduce the size (I usually do one of the medium choices) and copy and paste the url here.