Menu

That Tutor Guy and other online math tutorials (free and pay)

My 9th grader is using Teaching Textbook Algebra1 and has hit a wall. I'd like to stick with TT but have paused moving forward until she goes back and finds/corrects the weak links. If I have to I'll hire a tutor but our schedule is already crazy and I'd like to avoid adding more to it. 

I had her go back in TT and watch all the lectures, no luck. I had her go on to Khan Academy, she's not feeling it (we might come back to it later.)

Now I'm looking for tutorials on YouTube... 

I found That Tutor Guy and paid $7 for 7 days of access to his site. We'll see how that goes. 

http://www.thattutorguy.com

Does anyone have a math tutorial site that they love? I'd prefer free but I can pay a little for something great. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

We like the free yaymath.org. He's a little silly, but he makes it completely understandable. He has a couple of TEDD talks where he explains his reason for the silliness - lots of people feel stupid where math is concerned - like other people will laugh at them - so he makes it easy for them to ask questions because he's already broken the ice by allowing everyone to laugh at him.

• Like 1

No experience with TabletClass, but it is something I read about in a thread here, a few days ago, and if my DD ever runs into a roadblock like your DD did, I plan to use it. TabletClass costs $50 for one month or $100 for one year. I believe they have 100 hours of videos, for each course. One lady wrote that she paid for a Keystone class for her DC, $$$, because it was accredited, but all of the teaching was done by TabletClass. GL

I'll give my usual push for checking out your local library. Mine has free online tutoring in all subjects. You do not need to schedule a time; simply log on when you need help, and you will get a message saying how long the wait for a tutor is (we have never had to wait very long). You specify what level of help you need, something like: I don't understand this lesson at all, I need some guidance, I think I understand my lesson but I'm stuck on a problem. I think that is so they they can estimate times - they always ask at the end if you need more help.

We have used it several times for math, and it was a huge timesaver when she got stuck. I remember that you could even create an account that would let you pick 'favorite' tutors and so on, but we never did that. Just logged on and asked for help. Free, fast, effective.

The only minor glitch is that it is not available until 2 p.m. on weekdays but that's definitely worth working around, imo.

• Like 2

I'll give my usual push for checking out your local library. Mine has free online tutoring in all subjects. You do not need to schedule a time; simply log on when you need help, and you will get a message saying how long the wait for a tutor is (we have never had to wait very long). You specify what level of help you need, something like: I don't understand this lesson at all, I need some guidance, I think I understand my lesson but I'm stuck on a problem. I think that is so they they can estimate times - they always ask at the end if you need more help.

We have used it several times for math, and it was a huge timesaver when she got stuck. I remember that you could even create an account that would let you pick 'favorite' tutors and so on, but we never did that. Just logged on and asked for help. Free, fast, effective.

The only minor glitch is that it is not available until 2 p.m. on weekdays but that's definitely worth working around, imo.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be there later, so I'll be sure to ask.

I'm feeling much better about this today. :)

Check neighboring counties. Many library systems allow non-residents to pay an annual fee for a card; if you get free tutoring out of it, it would be well worth it.

Okay, there's a private library that we go to sometimes... I'm going to call them today. Next I'll try our two neighboring counties. Thanks for the push. :)

• 4 months later...

Library envy here!

Also, she can see the Thinkwell Algebra videos FREE here, http://go.hrw.com/gopages/ma-al.html there are also step through questions on there.

I didn't find the videos. Would you please post the exact link? Thank you!

TabletClass costs $50 for one month or $100 for one year.

A couple of times a year, TabletClass goes on sale at $49.99 for a year. Sign-up for their newsletter to get the discount.

• 1 year later...
Guest shanti_sunflower

If you're working on algebra specifically, a great free resource we use is www.mathpapa.com

The algebra calculator will solve problems and explain step by step.  What's great is that if you are stuck on a particular problem the tool will automatically get  you unstuck!

Edited by shanti_sunflower