Menu

House of Hades SPOILER parent warning

Sara R

Thanks for the information.  My kids LOOVE these books, but this is something that has given us pause in allowing them to read it.  We were made aware of this issue by a friend and chose to ask the kids not to continue reading it on the day it came out.  While some families consider homosexuality an acceptable lifestyle choice for Christian believers, we do not.  Therefore, we would not want them to read something that portrays this lifestyle sympathetically.  We would never condone unkindness to a gay person, but we don't want our kids to see homosexuality as something that is normal or the way that God intended for some relationships to be.  I know it is an unpopular stance, but it is what we believe and what lots of families believe.  I am surprised that there has not been more of a backlash against the books; but, I think that just shows how much of our society, and even the church, has embraced this issue.  

So let me see if I've got this right.  "False" gods, fine.  Promiscuity, perfectly okay.  Magic, no problem.  Some gay person, oh hell no, sound the alarm!

I will never understand the Christian worldview (eta: of some Christians, not all).  :confused1:

So let me see if I've got this right.  "False" gods, fine.  Promiscuity, perfectly okay.  Magic, no problem.  Some gay person, oh hell no, sound the alarm!

I will never understand the Christian worldview.  :confused1:

Woah! That is not *the* Christian worldview. I went to the store and bought that book myself.

That is *some* Christian's worldview, not all of us agree. 

So let me see if I've got this right. "False" gods, fine. Promiscuity, perfectly okay. Magic, no problem. Some gay person, oh hell no, sound the alarm!

I will never understand the Christian worldview (eta: of some Christians, not all). :confused1:

That's ok. There are lots of worldviews on this board. Obviously, there are going to be things that make each of us scratch our heads.

Where the Red Fern Grows the book that DS wouldn't finish, was up all night over and refused to speak to me for several days over, and he didn't get to the point where the dogs die. He was done in when the kid fell on the ax. I had completely forgotten that part.

House of Hades is not that traumatic. Not even close.

I was worried that since this is the last book in the series, Percy wouldn't make it. I don't think my kid can handle any death of main caracters. He is a bit too attached to them.

I probably can't answer all of the questions posed, but, elegantlion, I will respectfully borrow your words and say that scenarios where  "things die grotesque deaths, minors are constantly in peril, they deface property (if by accident), and gods try to kill children," are not where I am concerned about my children being able to distinguish between what is a Christian worldview and what isn't.  I feel confident that they see those things as bad, just like your children do.  However, a boy who is sad and alone and struggling with these feelings is someone that they can relate to in many ways.  At older ages, I would want them to see, possibly in a homosexual character, how hard it is to have thoughts and feelings that you feel like no one else shares, but not at this age where it would be harder for them to distinguish that from the homosexual issue.  

I know we aren't perfectly consistent in the decisions we make, even when we try to be.  Like some have said, many Christians don't even let their kids read these books.  But, we have thought this one through as best we know how at this point and feel content with where we have landed with it.  

• 1 year later...

I would be shocked if any middle schooler did not know about homosexuality. 

My children have known gay people since birth so its a no brainer over here. 

While pre-reading all my kids books is the ideal, it is totally impossible for me (3 avid readers who don't have to cook dinner, change diapers, etc.). I appreciate the heads up--homosexuality doesn't come up often (ever??) here in rural IN so my 5th grader is clueless (I'm okay with that). Thanks to the OP, I know to discuss it with her.

My fifth grader is much like Moxie's and wouldn't know about it.  She's still into dolls and dressing up and relationship things go way over her head.  In our circle of friends we don't have anyone that is homosexual so I'd like to at least be aware of what's going on in the book so I can be prepared for any questions.

Actually now that I think about it the ladies down the street are a couple.  We met them when we first moved in a few weeks ago and a few days later I said something about the nice sisters that live down the street.  DH laughed and laughed.   :glare: