Menu

Update: Paranormal Investigation Results (Finally!)

AlmiraGulch

After 2 long months, I was finally able to coordinate my schedule with the ghost hunter people that spent a night in my house to get the full results.  As previously reported, there was a camera and a recorder that both turned themselves off for no apparent reason. One of the investigators heard someone call her name (and it was audible on tape), and then her shirt was tugged.  Another investigator witnessed a shadow-like figure that sounds like what we see, but I can't be sure because he didn't have a camera facing the area.  The Sensitive that was here reported presences of the exact same type and in the exact same places where my family typically sees activity, and we had not disclosed that previously (they specifically asked us not to).

Also there were several EVPs captured, all of which I heard today.  For a few, you can hear voices but cannot make out what they're saying.  For others, you can hear the voices and hear clearly what they're saying.  One name, Charles Thatcher, happened to be the name of a man that fought in the Civil War and died during the Atlanta Campaign.  He was from Illinois and is buried in Marietta (they always research when they get full names.  They did call me to see if the name meant anything to me first).  Other names didn't mean anything to me (Billy or Willy, Ricky or Vicky).  You could clearly hear at least three distinct voices in the recordings.  One man, one woman, and one that was either a woman or a teen boy.  At times they seemed to be speaking to each other, and at least twice they seemed to be responding to questions they were asked.  The clearest example was when an investigator asked "Can you tell us where you're from?" And the crystal clear reply was "I certainly can."  He never did say a city, though.  Another time there was the female voice that said "I don't want to play anymore", and then a muffled male voice, and then the female saying "Then let's go home".   There was other stuff, too, but this is the gist of it.

Anyway, several people have asked, so....this is it.   Fun times.

There isn't a whole lot we can do at this point.  The names don't mean anything to us.  We don't feel threatened at all, so it's nothing bad.  And, interestingly, we haven't seen anything at all in several weeks.  Immediately after they left there was an uptick in activity, but lately, nothing.  

We could always say the names and try to speak to them, but I don't see any point in that.  

My husband wants to sage the place, but I'm not into that.  First, I hate the smell.  Second, I don't think there's any use.  There's no negative energy here, as far as I'm concerned.  I won't stop him if he really wants to do it, though.  

I do not believe in ghosts, I do not believe in ghosts, I do not believe in ghosts!!!

(I say this because these things freak me out so much and I desperately want them to NOT be true!)

Thanks for the update, though.  That's a lot of neat information, but I'd be scared silly if it happened to me.  And like I said, I do not believe in ghosts!

Thanks for the update! 

How can you be sure that it was not investigators speaking / playing recordings? 

I suppose you can't be 100% sure, but I heard the entire recordings and you can definitely tell.  I don't know how else to explain it.  If you go to some paranormal investigators sites they usually have recordings posted there, and you can see what I mean.  

When I say things are "crystal clear", it's not like you and i are talking.   Also, with the exception of the one that you could actually hear, out loud, the rest were recorded during EVP sessions.  Meaning, in most cases the investigators themselves were there and talking and heard nothing, but then when they play it all back they could hear it (different equipment).  Sometimes they were all talking at the same time (people in the room and the recorded voices).  They have equipment and software that isolates certain portions and brings forward and pushes back other sounds so you can hear the part of it that you want to focus on, similar to what law enforcement uses.    It's all fascinating to me.  

I do not believe in ghosts, I do not believe in ghosts, I do not believe in ghosts!!!

(I say this because these things freak me out so much and I desperately want them to NOT be true!)

Thanks for the update, though.  That's a lot of neat information, but I'd be scared silly if it happened to me.  And like I said, I do not believe in ghosts!

I would be scared, too, if there were something to be scared of.  I have to admit a couple of the things that I talked about in my original post freaked me out a little, but I've never been actually frightened.  I guess nothing here has any negative "feel" to it, if you know what I mean.  

You could submit this for a one million dollar prize.

At JREF [James Randi Educational Foundation], we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

the investigators themselves were there and talking and heard nothing, but then when they play it all back they could hear it (different equipment).  Sometimes they were all talking at the same time (people in the room and the recorded voices).  They have equipment and software that isolates certain portions and brings forward and pushes back other sounds so you can hear the part of it that you want to focus on, similar to what law enforcement uses.    It's all fascinating to me.  

Yes. In my younger years I went with a friend who was doing EVP's. We didn't hear any response but we did pick something up.

No one mentioned anything about demons.

? The thread is about the paranormal. To me, that's demons. I assumed when I posted that the OP did as well. I see that she has responded that's not the case.

Sorry QV, wasn't trying to stir up trouble. I have a pretty strong belief that paranormal equals demons, so I'd like to leave my reply up for support. I am happy to edit if I offended you.

We have a friendly resident in our house -- the woman who owned it before we did.  She told DW's friend she was staying around to watch over DD, which is just fine by me.   She does hang around now and then, maybe less so now that DD is 12.5.   Every once in a while you'll walk through a little patch of cigarette smell, although no one has smoked here since she died in 1991.  There have been some other visitors, but all very loving.

We have a standing agreement that she is welcome to stay, but I do not want to see or hear her at any time for any reason, lest I break out all the stops to exorcise...not that I would have a clue about how to do that.

You could submit this for a one million dollar prize.

But it's not really indisputable evidence, of course.  Because there is no such thing.   I don't know what it is, but there are some things I cannot explain away, and I'm open to the possibility of something that science just hasn't figured out how to prove yet.  It's' all in good fun, for me. 

? The thread is about the paranormal. To me, that's demons. I assumed when I posted that the OP did as well. I see that she has responded that's not the case.

Sorry QV, wasn't trying to stir up trouble. I have a pretty strong belief that paranormal equals demons, so I'd like to leave my reply up for support. I am happy to edit if I offended you.

I'm not offended at all!  I think that popular belief is that there are many things that people call paranormal, and certainly not all are demonic in nature.    

Honestly, I don't believe in demons at all.  Or angels, for that matter.   I've had many, many experiences over my lifetime that I choose to call "paranormal" (because I don't know what they really are and I can't debunk them as anything else), but I've certainly never seen/witnessed anything I would ever call evil or demonic or whatever you want to call it. 

We have a friendly resident in our house -- the woman who owned it before we did.  She told DW's friend she was staying around to watch over DD, which is just fine by me.   She does hang around now and then, maybe less so now that DD is 12.5.   Every once in a while you'll walk through a little patch of cigarette smell, although no one has smoked here since she died in 1991.  There have been some other visitors, but all very loving.

We have a standing agreement that she is welcome to stay, but I do not want to see or hear her at any time for any reason, lest I break out all the stops to exorcise...not that I would have a clue about how to do that.

You reminded me of one more thing!    They did smell tobacco smoke while they were here, but no one in my house smokes.   No windows were open, so it wasn't coming from outside.  Interestingly, I've smelled cigar smoke, too, to the point that I thought my husband had for some reason decided to light one up downstairs and I went to yell at him, but.....nothing.  

I'm not offended at all!  I think that popular belief is that there are many things that people call paranormal, and certainly not all are demonic in nature.    

Honestly, I don't believe in demons at all.  Or angels, for that matter.   I've had many, many experiences over my lifetime that I choose to call "paranormal" (because I don't know what they really are and I can't debunk them as anything else), but I've certainly never seen/witnessed anything I would ever call evil or demonic or whatever you want to call it. 

I went on a Fringe-watching bender recently, so I vote that it's a weak spot between two universes.  :D

That's really cool!!  I volunteer at one of the most "haunted" places in Utah (This is the Place Heritage Park), and I love our ghosts!  None of them are sinister, and some of them are quite funny and love to tease.

We have Anne Eliza Young in Brigham Young's farmhouse.  She can be noisy...and nosy...and she can cause mischief sometimes, but she has spunk, and I like that.

Mary Fielding Smith watches over the whole park...because she likes things "just so".  And because she still hasn't forgiven us for situating her house incorrectly when it was moved to its park location.  LOL  She is often she around her home or down in the main part of the village after the guests have left.

In one of our houses, there is another woman who often makes our spinning wheels turn, trying to help us get our work done.  We appreciate her efforts. ;)

In another house, one of the ladies who lived there, Eliza Rich, often makes the treadle of her sewing machine thump.  I've had guests ask me how we do that if we're not sitting in front of it.  My response, "It's not us, it's Eliza.  We just let her sew."  LOL

We often hear children's laughter coming from several of our buildings...particularly the school and the social hall.  That always makes me smile.

Some of them occasionally move things or shut us out of houses or rooms.  Usually a stern talking to makes them stop.  One time I heard a volunteer I was working with say, "Mrs. Fairbanks, if you don't stop interfering with the cooking, we will never get all of the gingerbread made for the children tonight.  I know you want to see the children happy, so please.  I promise I'll clean up your kitchen when I'm finished."  I just laughed.  Mrs. Fairbanks is kind of persnickety about her house.

Anyway, I'm not at all afraid of "ghosts", and have found most of them to be fun and friendly.  At least the ones at Heritage Park.  We have a huge logbook at the park where we record any incidences of paranormal activity so we can get to know our ghosts and share stories with our visitors.  It's really fun to read.

I hope you enjoy your visitors, OP!

Here are a few quotes from ghost hunter website about our park and our ghosts:

Salt Lake City - This is the place state park:
It has a compilation of historical buildings, some original some reproductions ("repop's") spanning from 1847 to the early 1900's. The amount of paranormal activity in the village leads me to believe that it seems to have become a "hub" for 19th century spirits. Throughout the many buildings you come across several different stories about people that have lived in the homes, and of people that have "migrated" to the Park.
The first is the repop of the Social Hall from downtown Salt Lake City. Dancing and singing can be heard occasionally from the second floor, along with the smells of cooking coming from the kitchen.
Second, the historical SLC blacksmiths shop has a mischievous little ghost that likes to leave things leaning against the INSIDE of the security door. In other words, at the end of the night, the volunteer leaves out the back door. All the other doors are barred from the inside, and the windows sealed shut. When he comes in the next morning, things will be leaning against the inside of the door he exited from the previous night.
Third, at the Brigham Young Forest Farmhouse, there has been several incidents where volunteers have seen women, children, and other spirits in the home. A few years ago there was seen in soot, up a two story wall, a young child's hand prints all the way up to the ceiling.
And finally, Mary Fielding Smith. Mary's original, small adobe house has sat in the park for over 20 years. Since that time, many staff members and volunteers have seen her in, and around her house, and also around the village, seeming to keep an eye on all activities present.
All of this, on top of reoccurring electrical failures, maintenance malfunctions, and other unexplained activities have made certain people call it, Utah's most haunted Place.

I watch a good amount of Ghost Adventures and Zac really seems to have a thing for demonic activity. He is was over the top and amuses me to no end. I do like the show a lot though. :)

Zac bugs the crap out of me.  I especially hate his hair.  I think he looks like a Kewpie doll.  

Funny you should mention his "thing" for demonic activity......

The lead investigator from the group that came to my house was just saying today that that Zac guy has gotten himself in trouble because of his reckless behavior.  I guess the paranormal investigation community is pretty small and they all seem to know each other, or at least know of each other.  Anyway, apparently there was just some convention for those people in Tennessee last month and Zac has appeared to calm down his demon-seeking quite a bit. Since he was never a trained investigator (they're all just filmmakers) and he kept being drawn to the "bad" stuff, he was supposedly pretty messed up in the head.  He sought out counsel from some priest who does exorcisms or something and has changed his ways.

The guy who is always with him (Aaron?) is much more down to earth, I'm told, and also more careful, especially since some encounter he had at a place out West that he thinks messed with his life.   

Zac bugs the crap out of me.  I especially hate his hair.  I think he looks like a Kewpie doll.  

Funny you should mention his "thing" for demonic activity......

The lead investigator from the group that came to my house was just saying today that that Zac guy has gotten himself in trouble because of his reckless behavior.  I guess the paranormal investigation community is pretty small and they all seem to know each other, or at least know of each other.  Anyway, apparently there was just some convention for those people in Tennessee last month and Zac has appeared to calm down his demon-seeking quite a bit. Since he was never a trained investigator (they're all just filmmakers) and he kept being drawn to the "bad" stuff, he was supposedly pretty messed up in the head.  He sought out counsel from some priest who does exorcisms or something and has changed his ways.

The guy who is always with him (Aaron?) is much more down to earth, I'm told, and also more careful, especially since some encounter he had at a place out West that he thinks messed with his life.   

hahaha My mom is always making comments about his hair.

Yeah, I knew they were all film makers. He has talked about being blessed and having demons excised from him on the shows before. I admit, we watch the new one on Friday night, then watch three or four episodes (reruns) on Saturday night. I think there have just been a few demon reruns on lately. They did do some demon talk on a recent episode though, at the Exorcist House.

I *love* Aaron. I even follow him on FB. He totally cracks me up on the show. They do all seem to have a good camaraderie though and seem to get along well, making the show enjoyable. And I have fun poking fun at Zac.

A new season of Ghost Hunters just started too and we've been watching that on Wed night. It is really so calm compared to Ghost Adventures. And I've been disappointed with their wrap ups at the end, it seems they leave a lot of stuff out or just don't show it on camera.

Anyways, I didn't mean to totally hijack your thread. I think it's pretty cool you had investigators in your home. :)

Diane, that's interesting. What does the LDS church teach about where these souls may come from? When I die, I certainly hope not to have to be stuck here haunting old whereabouts! Interesting indeed. :)

Well, we don't really teach much about "ghosts".  LOL  We do believe that we on earth are only separated from the next life by a thin veil, and that we are actually surrounded by "spirits", if you will.  Like when someone has a near death experience and they leave their body briefly...he is still in the room, but the living cannot see him.

Here are a few quotes from LDS leaders who have spoken briefly on where spirits might be after this life: 

"According to lds.org: "In a funeral sermon, the Prophet Joseph Smith declared that the spirits of righteous people who have died 'are not far from us, and know and understand our thoughts, feelings, and motions, and are often pained therewith' (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 326).

"Other latter-day prophets have made similar statements. President Ezra Taft Benson said: 'Sometimes the veil between this life and the life beyond becomes very thin. Our loved ones who have passed on are not far from us' (in Conference Report, Apr. 1971, p. 18; or Ensign, June 1971, p. 33). President Brigham Young said: 'Where is the spirit world? It is right here' (Discourses of Brigham Young, p. 376)," the LDS Church's official Web site states."

But honestly, we don't dwell on "ghosts" per se.  We believe in life after death, and that the spirits of all people who lived on earth will continue to live beyond this life, but as for the stereotypical Halloween type of "ghost"...we don't really believe in those.

We also don't fear "spirits" as such, as we believe that anyone who possesses a body is more powerful than a spirit who does not, and that they cannot hurt us.

As far as our "ghosts" at Heritage Park, I have no idea if they're real, if they're very explainable through the natural (earthly) phenomenon, or if they really are the spirits of the people who have lived in those homes.  Nobody is afraid of them there (except during the Halloween season when we purposely try to scare our visitors with ghost stories), and we feel that our "ghosts" are an important part of the park.  We like to feel that if they are real, it was their home before it was ours, and we're happy to have them.  As long as they don't hide too many things on me...then I get a bit short with them.  LOL

Here's the website for Heritage Park if anyone is interested. There is a short video on our Halloween activities, and another link at the bottom of the page:  http://www.thisistheplace.org/#

http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12406

That link will take you to a video detailing how EVPs can be easily made without manipulating the audio recording on the recording device.

It's a duller explanation then ghosts but far simpler and much more reasonable.

Except.....

a) The team that was here had no reason to manipulate anything. There was nothing financial (or otherwise) to be gained from doing so.  OF COURSE it can be faked.  I don't believe that's the case with this team. 

b )  All of this may very well have some other explanation.  In the vast majority of cases, it probably does.  Still, when you actively seek logical, explainable reasons for things and can find none, some of us are not completely closed off to the idea of the paranormal. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything here.  Believe it or don't.  Read my posts or don't.  I don't care much.  But this sort of video posting, it seems to me, assumes that I've never thought of such a thing before (that it could all be fake), which....really?  No. 

Except.....

a) The team that was here had no reason to manipulate anything. There was nothing financial (or otherwise) to be gained from doing so. OF COURSE it can be faked. I don't believe that's the case with this team.

b ) All of this may very well have some other explanation. In the vast majority of cases, it probably does. Still, when you actively seek logical, explainable reasons for things and can find none, some of us are not completely closed off to the idea of the paranormal.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything here. Believe it or don't. Read my posts or don't. I don't care much. But this sort of video posting, it seems to ME, assumes that I've never thought of such a thing before (that it could all be fake), which....really? No.

A) I guess we can't know their motives. People do weird things for weird reasons. It may also be unintentional. I read something on a paranormal investigation site about using ultrasound to boost the quality of EVP. But it's ultrasound creating the EVP so they may actually be producing the EVP without realising it.

B) it's not that I'm completely closed off to the idea of the paranormal, it's just that it's an extraordinary claim and so I'd want some extraordinary proof. In your situation, since there's a fairly straightforward explanation regarding EVP and since I know people are prone to lying or making mistakes I'd probably discount the EVPs or look for another explanation for them.

I'm not you, I haven't had the experiences you have so I can't make any leap beyond the run of the mill explanations. I found the EVP info and thought I'd share it. Based on what I've read I would not assume you were dealing with the paranormal. But I'm sitting in a nice, cozy, boring house a long way away from you with none of your first hand experience.:)

I found Evidence for the Afterlife to be a validating and comforting book which also appealed to my inner evidence-seeking geekiness.  I'm not sold on the gadgets used by the various ghost busting reality shows, but I'm also not sold on there is nothing to see here.  That squishy middle ground is perhaps non-committal, but that's OK too.  

I found Evidence for the Afterlife to be a validating and comforting book which also appealed to my inner evidence-seeking geekiness.  I'm not sold on the gadgets used by the various ghost busting reality shows, but I'm also not sold on there is nothing to see here.  That squishy middle ground is perhaps non-committal, but that's OK too.  

I also think some of those gadgets are stupid.  Spirit Box, where they "speak" through them, or the iPhone app that "detects" ghosts?  Ummm....no.

I've said it before that I don't have any concrete proof.  No one does.  I do, however, know myself and my own skepticism, and I know what I've experienced, and it's more than enough to at least give me pause.  

A) I guess we can't know their motives. People do weird things for weird reasons. It may also be unintentional. I read something on a paranormal investigation site about using ultrasound to boost the quality of EVP. But it's ultrasound creating the EVP so they may actually be producing the EVP without realising it.

B) it's not that I'm completely closed off to the idea of the paranormal, it's just that it's an extraordinary claim and so I'd want some extraordinary proof. In your situation, since there's a fairly straightforward explanation regarding EVP and since I know people are prone to lying or making mistakes I'd probably discount the EVPs or look for another explanation for them.

I'm not you, I haven't had the experiences you have so I can't make any leap beyond the run of the mill explanations. I found the EVP info and thought I'd share it. Based on what I've read I would not assume you were dealing with the paranormal. But I'm sitting in a nice, cozy, boring house a long way away from you with none of your first hand experience. :)

People definitely do weird things for weird reasons.  I don't believe that to be the case with this group.  If they wanted to make it interesting, they could have been much less subtle.  I have read about unintentionally creating EVPs, too, and I've heard recordings that go along with those, but what was created didn't sound like what was on these.  Again, some of them were garbled but some were quite clear.  It was interesting, for sure.

Also, for whatever it's worth, my feelings about my own experiences were neither validated nor invalidated by anything that the group said.  Had they found nothing at all, I still would know what I've experienced (even if I don't know the cause).  And this...well....I certainly don't see it as proof of anything, but I find it fascinating and do not believe they intentionally made anything up.