Menu

What to supplement MUS with?

momtofive

MUS is working quite well for the kids, and has created an enjoyment of doing math!!!  That's huge for some of my kids.  I am finding though, that they actually want to do more math, and am wondering if I should supplement with something.  I also worry that MUS won't cover all the needed concepts for their standardized testing each year. 

The thought crossed my mind to try doing Saxon with MUS, so they would have a good grounding of concepts (from MUS), and the Saxon would help keep them sharp for standardized testing each year. 

Maybe this is a poorly thought out combination, but I just feel at a loss of what I should do. . . . .  MUS is actually working well, but I feel like they won't be prepared for their testing if we just do MUS.  Is this wrong to think this way?  Would MUS be okay on it's own?  Should I supplement?

Help please!!! :)

I originally switched from horizons to mus and it has been very successful! I agree with your concern about being prepared for testing time though and I've seen it for the last several testing years from my then 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders. In my state the annual testing is only for our family's records though, so I don't worry about it much. Obviously when you look at the tests you can see what you haven't covered. I tell my kids that the test cant tell me anything I don't already know about them. :) I switch to saxon during 5th and then I can tell on tests they are well prepared. If your testing is more vital to your homeschooling then I would suggest something like these...

http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=051520

It took us 5 years and multiple math programs before we stumbled on MUS for our younger DS, a math struggler. We used MUS as the spine, and then used a several different programs from very different perspectives. That worked VERY well, as even struggling through math, DS would finish MUS early, so it was super being able to see math from several different perspectives gave our math struggler a much stronger math foundation. 

For grades 5-8, we used Singapore Primary 4A/B, 5A/B, 6A/B and some of the Keys To ... workbooks as supplement. (Math Mammoth is similar in approach to Singapore, but a bit more "Western American" friendly, so either of those could work as supplements alongside MUS.) For Algebra 1 and Geometry, we supplemented with Jacobs Algebra and Jacobs Geometry. (The Keys to Algebra and Keys to Geometry could work for you as a supplement for these high school level maths.)

Other programs that would be excellent for developing the math thinking/problem-solving skills that MUS is weaker in, AND would be pretty easy to use as supplement are Life of Fred and Art of Problem Solving. 

re: using Saxon as supplement

Older DS used Singapore, and we did use Saxon as a supplement for him. However, Saxon was much more labor-intensive for me to use as a supplement, as I had to go through about 5-10 lessons the weekend before and pull out just the bits that covered the same topic, cobble them together as a "lesson", and at first circled selected problems from all of those lessons, but that was confusing for DS, so I ended up having to write out the problems in advance on graph paper, which was a pain in the patootie.

Also, I did not like how Saxon became more "plug and chug" oriented the farther into the program we went (i.e., memorize which formula went with which type of story problem wording), rather than really encouraging and helping to develop math thinking and problem-solving skills.

After Saxon 1/2 (grade 7) we stopped using Saxon as a supplement. Also, by the time older DS started Algebra, he really didn't seem to need more than one way of looking at math, although, if I had found Art of Problem Solving at that time, I would have used it as older DS's supplement for the high school levels of math.

Just our 2 cents worth! BEST of luck in deciding if you need a math supplement or not, and if so, in finding the best supplement for YOUR family! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I also enjoy MUS. I bought Math Mammoth's Blue series (not the light blue) and print off worksheets when I just want to review one topic, like telling time. We finished the Alpha level this year in 23 weeks, not rushing the last few weeks. Rather than moving on to Beta, we will take the rest of the year (I think) to "review" and cover topics not covered in MUS with Singapore levels 1A and 1B--although 1B will get into newer materials, and therefore give him a headstart on Beta. I'd rather just stick with one company for a chunk of time than try to align topics with two. Would drive me crazy. So that's my general plan, that I heard someone else on here did as well--start with MUS level, then review with SM.

Saxon may work well, but there is also Math Mammoth. If your kids want more math on their topic or in a skill they've worked on already, than go with the Blue. If you want them to maybe review material in general, I'd probably go with Light Blue about 1-2 grades behind their age so that they

a: build confidence and practice a wide variety of skills in a non-intimidating way and

b: have time to get used to the format/instruction.

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and advice.  I love hearing about what's worked well for others!  Really helps me to figure out what might work well for us.  You've all given me some great suggestions.  I think I'll take some time to look at each, and go from there.  Singapore looks like it could be a good fit for my kids.  They could really use more instruction/practice with mental math concepts.  I think they'll really get a much better grasp of mathematics.  MM looks interesting too.  I haven't looked too closely at that.  I'll have to check it out some more. . . . .

Thanks, again! ;)