Menu

Zombie Thread: so frustrated by annulment witnesses

ktgrok

Mmy witnesses have not sent in their statements. It has been months. I've offered whatever help I could. I've made myself available for questions. I went over it page by page with one of them. But no, they haven't sent them in. The only one that did is my former boss, who honestly I almost didn't list as a witness. The process can't go forward until the witness statements are turned in, everything else is done. And then, once they are in, there is a wait of about a year. That's a long time to go without communion. I'm so frustrated!

Please, no catholicism bashing. 

Old thread! Everything worked out :)

Edited by ktgrok

You can't get some new ones?

I was turned down by several people before I found these. My family refused and was snotty about it. Old mutal friends that stayed his friend refused. His sister (a Catholic convert herself) ignored my request. I am not sure I can think of any other people, but I may have to keep trying. 

The witness forms I have seen for Catholic anullments are very long interrogatories with some questions being difficult to answer and detailed. It could be very time consuming for the witness, especially a witness who isn't a fast or comfortable writer. Obviously you can't coach them or help them with the form but I would call each and make a heartfelt appeal to let you know if they can commit to doing the form and if so, by when. I would also thank them profusely. If they can't commit, then thank them and let them know you will use a different witness.

Also, are you able to hire someone to transcribe verbal answers for them? I know of a few people who have essentially hired someone take their witness' forms deposition style. You aren't involved or guiding content but they can just answer the questions orally. That might speed things up.

My parents waited over a year for my mom's annullment from her first marriage. I hope there is a good annullment support group at your parish.

• Like 7

What are the questions?  I'm curious....not bashing.

Things like, how responsible or mature were the people before they got married, do you know of any reasons they felt pressured to marry, do you know if they had any health or mental health problems before marriage, if they had anger issues, what you know about their religious beliefs, what you know about their beliefs about marriage itself, etc etc. (I was curious too!)

What have your canon lawyers/sponsors said? Many people can't procure witnesses at all. Have you called them and explained they are delaying this process and to pretty please let you help them and then you can turn it in for them?

The form specifically asks the witness to certify that they have not been coached or influenced in any answer, much less been provided answers by the person seeking the annullment. If someone is devout enough to go through a lengthy and often frustrating annullment process I can't imagine they would be comfortable violating the rules and submitting fraudulent witness statements.

Why on earth would your family refuse? Do they not support you annulling the marriage?

No, they don't support it. I asked thinking it was no big deal, asked my mom and sister via email. Got an email back from my father, saying asking why I think I'm better than every other religion, etc etc. It was really upsetting. (they are not Catholic). My sister called and said she was insulted that I was trying to "bend the rules" to get back into communion, after I wouldn't lie about her church attendance so she could be my son's godmother. It was ugly and hurtful. 

What have your canon lawyers/sponsors said? Many people can't procure witnesses at all. Have you called them and explained they are delaying this process and to pretty please let you help them and then you can turn it in for them?

I've been told I can help them if they have questions, so I actually went over it, question by question with one witness, and helped where i could. I didn't answer things I shouldn't answer, or give opinions, just answered matters of fact, like if we were baptised, etc. But it has to be notarized. Otherwise I'd drive to these people (all over the state) and pick them up myself!

The form specifically asks the witness to certify that they have not been coached or influenced in any answer, much less been provided answers by the person seeking the annullment. If someone is devout enough to go through a lengthy and often frustrating annullment process I can't imagine they would be comfortable violating the rules and submitting fraudulent witness statements.

What the blazes?

I did not say she should coach them or provide answers. I said she should ask them if they need help with it and provide that help. Then she can send it in or have it sent in.

OP, something that might help is see if you can schedule them an appointment with your priest or advocate to discuss it.

If there is concern you coached them or whatever, meet them at church with your priest or church secretary or deacon there or something.

If nothing else, you might have to call your advocate and flat out explain that you can't bring witnesses. You wouldn't be the first.

Is your ex fighting the annulment?

Wow, I think DH would have a hard time answering all those questions about our marriage! Does the court (or whatever it's called) take into account if one of the spouses is private? I have a friend that is completely tight lipped about anything personal like her marriage. She's not Catholic, but if she were, I couldn't be much of a witness in a process like this.

What the blazes?

I did not say she should coach them or provide answers. I said she should ask them if they need help with it and provide that help. Then she can send it in or have it sent in.

OP, something that might help is see if you can schedule them an appointment with your priest or advocate to discuss it.

If there is concern you coached them or whatever, meet them at church with your priest or church secretary or deacon there or something.

If nothing else, you might have to call your advocate and flat out explain that you can't bring witnesses. You wouldn't be the first.

Is your ex fighting the annulment?

It may come down to just not having any  more. I have the one, she turned it in in a timely manner and was super sweet about it. My ex is not fighting it, but I think he chose not to reply at all, so I won't have his statement to back up what I said. This is such a huge thing, and I want it done right, but I also want it DONE, you know? 

Thanks for the support...I don't have anyone in real life that gets it. 

It is not at all unusual for people to simply refuse to participate in the process or to purposely thwart it. Don't feel ashamed or embarrassed about talking frankly about it to your advocate. And just in case, be aware it might not be granted. (((Hugs)))

ok, so I messaged all three on facebook yesterday, that I'm sorry to bug them, but I heard that the church had not received the paperwork, and is there anything I can do to help? Or if they can't do it, that's fine, but just let me know. One of the three got back to me today, and apologized. She is struggling with the questions so had put it off. I sent her some basic info about the situation, to job her memory of that time, but told her to by all means NOT just go by what I say, go with what she remembers, her gut, etc. She runs her own small business, hopefully once she gets it done she will actually mail it in. She is usually very responsible. Another one is not as um..reliable...I love her to death but yeah. The third is very responsible, and very Catholic, but I'm has a VERY busy life with 4 kids and working nights as a social worker. She may just be busy. Or...i messaged her a while back with questions about international adoption, as two of her children were adopted, and I'm wondering if I offended her? I've always felt drawn to adopting, and wanted to hear if she thought that was a horrid idea, given my life circumstances, etc, or if she had advice, etc. That we weren't at the point of wanting to do it yet, but just something I wanted to explore. Maybe I was too casual about something that is really important to her. I don't know. Like I said, she might just be busy. 

sigh. 

My sister asked me to do this for her. I agreed. I had no idea how involved and lengthy it was going to be. 

Those questions are pretty detailed. My answers, I learned, could be read by xBIL too. 

I delayed and finally she called to say the church hadn't received my interview responses yet and was I still going to do it. 

I quick sat down and just typed in my gut responses. 

I don't think she was given her annulment. I don't know. 

But truly I was like, you married him and you had a baby with him, and now you want to say in never happened? I"m not catholic so I understand this might be my problem. It's not like she's waiting to marry anyone else. 

But I did it. 

One, the annulment process can take a very long time, so I would advise people not to wait until they want to remarry because it could mean a very long engagement. Or worse, it could mean they have put themselves in the awful situation of not being able to enter into a catholic marriage at all. (Not all annulments are granted.)

Two, not every marriage is entered into sacramentally and is thus a valid sacrament. It doesn't mean the civil marriage never happened.

My sister asked me to do this for her. I agreed. I had no idea how involved and lengthy it was going to be. 

Those questions are pretty detailed. My answers, I learned, could be read by xBIL too. 

I delayed and finally she called to say the church hadn't received my interview responses yet and was I still going to do it. 

I quick sat down and just typed in my gut responses. 

I don't think she was given her annulment. I don't know. 

But truly I was like, you married him and you had a baby with him, and now you want to say in never happened? I"m not catholic so I understand this might be my problem. It's not like she's waiting to marry anyone else. 

But I did it. 

Just to clarify, it doesn't say the marriage never happened. The marriage legally still happened, and the children are still legitimate. An annulment just means the marriage was never a sacrament. 

• Like 1

Just to clarify, it doesn't say the marriage never happened. The marriage legally still happened, and the children are still legitimate. An annulment just means the marriage was never a sacrament.

But what about your anniversary?

:lol:

Kt...........I am in the same situation, except it is my statement that has been sent back to me and it was requested that I revise it.......somewhat.

Honestly, the best witness I have would be my mother, but our priest does not want her to be a witness. My sister can attest to many things, but was only 13 years old at the time, so our priest does not want her to be a witness.

My dad passed years ago. His sister is the one person who was party to a conversation with my mom that is the lynchpin of my entire case.......well, she is in her 90s now, lives out of state, and would not be someone who could help my case.

I have three individuals who will be my witnesses, and I was told that their statements could be taken over the phone.

I know how frustrating and time consuming this process is and I feel for you. My dh has begun RCIA and I know he would love for the annulment process to be completed swiftly, but it does just drag on and on.

I don't know how to do smileys on this board so: (((((hugs)))))

• 2 years later...

Mmy witnesses have not sent in their statements. It has been months. I've offered whatever help I could. I've made myself available for questions. I went over it page by page with one of them. But no, they haven't sent them in. The only one that did is my former boss, who honestly I almost didn't list as a witness. The process can't go forward until the witness statements are turned in, everything else is done. And then, once they are in, there is a wait of about a year. That's a long time to go without communion. I'm so frustrated!

Please, no catholicism bashing. 

Hi would you happen to have a copy of the witness questionnaire? I'm in the process of an annulment and would like to see this.  Thank you.

My dad hung up my uncle's annumnent for years as a reluctant witness. I thought no it was a combination of being uncomfortable with being involved in the personal life of his brother and overall disapproval of the annulment. He eventually did it and it was granted but even as a kid I remember thinking he should just do it or say no. Even as a kid I felt bad that he just wasn't filling out the paperwork.

Not helpful, I know, just chiming it that I think it is common for witnesses to drag their feet. Sorry.

Yes..old thread! All is good and the witnesses eventually turned in their forms. It was very healing to read them and see how not right we were for eachother. And for the person that asked yes Pope Francis has made  it easier now. And it is now free!

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4