Menu

How much to tip at a piercing studio? is it rude to bring our own jewelry?

Tap

DD14 wants to get her second holes done for her birthday.  We will use a tat/piercing studio but I have no idea what to tip the person.  When she got her first holes done around age 6, it cost $60 for the piercing and (titanium-I think) hoop earrings and I tipped him $10. I assume the price is higher now so should the tip be higher too?  I know $10 isn't  a huge tip, but $70 for piecing a 6yo seemed pretty good to me.  LOL  

Also, is it considered rude to bring your own jewelry ordered online?  The shop we will use is about 30 minutes away each way, so it is hard to see what they have on hand to choose from ahead of time. There was not a lot of selection last time and the prices seemed really high for anything beyond a basic hoop. That was 8 years ago though so who knows what they carry now. Being almost 15, she would like a sparkly stud this time instead of a safety hoop. :0)

Guest inoubliable

Last ink I got done cost me $80. We gave a $20 tip. The guy wasn't very personable and the experience wasn't fantastic, but the job was well done. I'd have tipped more if he wasn't such a grumpy twit who dropped a few questionable racist comments during the appointment. I don't know that there would be a different expectation for tip if you're getting a piercing vs a tattoo. 

I would hesitate to bring my own jewelry. The shop may have a policy of not using it because of sanitation issues. Even if there is no shop policy, the individual doing the piercing may not want to use it. You may want to consider making the drive to the shop to see what they have in stock, or give them a call and ask. I wouldn't think it's *rude* to bring it, though. Those shops mark up the price of the jewelry, sure. But it's not like piercings are their main moneymaker, kwim? They're not likely to get offended at you asking/wanting to bring your own. 

Last ink I got done cost me $80. We gave a $20 tip. The guy wasn't very personable and the experience wasn't fantastic, but the job was well done. I'd have tipped more if he wasn't such a grumpy twit who dropped a few questionable racist comments during the appointment. I don't know that there would be a different expectation for tip if you're getting a piercing vs a tattoo. 

I would hesitate to bring my own jewelry. The shop may have a policy of not using it because of sanitation issues. Even if there is no shop policy, the individual doing the piercing may not want to use it. You may want to consider making the drive to the shop to see what they have in stock, or give them a call and ask. I wouldn't think it's *rude* to bring it, though. Those shops mark up the price of the jewelry, sure. But it's not like piercings are their main moneymaker, kwim? They're not likely to get offended at you asking/wanting to bring your own. 

For ink, I would absolutely tip more!  

Aside from making the payment and  waiting for the hoops to sterilize in a jar of solution, the whole piercing process took about 10 minutes.  $40 for the piercing ($20 was the earrings) and $10 tip seemed pretty fair at the time, but I really don't know what the standard is.  I don't want to short him, but dd is paying for it herself so I don't want to feel forced to over tip either.  Her spare dollars are few in between. :0)

Guest inoubliable

Ah, okay. Here, when you get a piercing they take it from a sterilized package. They don't sterilize it right in front of you in a jar or anything. (What are they using in the jar, I wonder? When I was in Utah, they used an autoclave.) 

I'd guess that the $40/$20/$10 is about right, assuming they're charging the same $40 still. :)

Ah, okay. Here, when you get a piercing they take it from a sterilized package. They don't sterilize it right in front of you in a jar or anything. (What are they using in the jar, I wonder? When I was in Utah, they used an autoclave.) 

I'd guess that the $40/$20/$10 is about right, assuming they're charging the same $40 still. :)

The piercings are in a showcase and you select one from there.  The needle used to pierce were single use needles.  The earring, doesn't need to be autoclaved because it is sterilized ahead of time and, well after you leave, it will just be yours and will have the typical germs on it.  The piercings dd selected were solid hoops with a little ball closing, at the time considered the best available for children's piercings due to smooth edges and the closed hoop allowed for a lack of 'catches' for clothing, hair, etc.   The earring was soaked in a state approved serializing solution (I don't know what it was) for 10  minutes or so.  I remember that he set a timer and the jar was swirled around periodically to make sure it was properly sanitized before we started the actual piercing. 

She never had even a spot of infection, so I am guessing the guy did a good job and dd was great about following the rules of cleaning.

I tipped my tattoo artist pretty well. She was doing a style that wasn't her fave and dealt with me nearly passing out on her at one point. She was really great and personable, and she was right to change the location. She offers free touch up for life. The tattoo was $200 and I gave her $240.

My piercing was $100 and included basic jewelry. DH thought he had enough for a tip but didn't. I hate not tipping my piercer because he is awesome! All business but very knowledgeable.