Menu

needed math manipulative for Singapore Math 2

mamamindy

Hello!

Through Singapore Primary math 1 we pretty much had the manipulatives on hand, mostly using c-rods, number cards, and 100 chart.  Now for 2 (we're using Standards Edition) I found I didn't have everything needed for the lessons.  If you use this curriculum, which math manipulatives are essential?

I will list what the HIG says I need here:

whiteboard - got it

multilink cubes - we have these from another math curriculum, but don't use them

base-10 set - we have 2 sets of c-rods

place-value discs - I just made some of these up using counters since we got to a lesson that needed them

place-value chart - just made one of these, too

counters - now I've got 'em.

hundred chart - got it

number cubes - how often will I use this?  I don't have one

number cards - got these from our RS math games

place-value cards

meter stick/yard stick, ruler, measuring tape - got it around the house

scale - we have a kitchen scale

kilogram, gram, pound, ounce weights - I need to get these

fact cards (for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) - does anyone use these with SM?  Where can I find them?  I don't want to make them all.

My son has found Base-10 blocks to be super useful in doing addition and subtraction of larger numbers. He has trouble "visualizing" what 452 would look like, so the Base-10 blocks have been great. I made fact cards from 3x5 note cards, but have just done the addition and subtraction ones so far. If you don't want to make them, there are a number of places you can buy them (Jo-Anns, Target, Walgreens, Walmart, etc). 

For place value cards, you could make them from index cards.  I think I made 4 sizes:

(1) smallest size:  each card is numbered 0-9

(2) next size up:  each card is numbered 10, 20, 30,...90

(3) next size up:  each card is numbered 100, 200, 300,...900

(4) largest size:  each card is numbered 1000, 2000, 3000,...9000

See the link for a picture:  http://www.singaporemath.com/Place_Value_Strips_4_Digit_1_3_p/mnpvs-4d.htm

For the scale, I recommend a balance scale in addition to your kitchen scale.  I know some levels of Singapore had you use a balance scale to measure weights of objects by making it balance and also comparing the weight of things in the baskets.  Here's the one we used... http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Baby-Bear-Balance/dp/B000P7MALK   We also learned about different units of measure by doing activities like this:  place a hotwheels car on one side of the balance and see how many paper clips it weighs, then see how many counting bears it weighs. 

I don't remember using "number cubes" at all though we did use the mathlink cubes occasionally.

HTH!

Thanks to you both!

For the scale, I recommend a balance scale in addition to your kitchen scale.  I know some levels of Singapore had you use a balance scale to measure weights of objects by making it balance and also comparing the weight of things in the baskets.  Here's the one we used... http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Baby-Bear-Balance/dp/B000P7MALK   We also learned about different units of measure by doing activities like this:  place a hotwheels car on one side of the balance and see how many paper clips it weighs, then see how many counting bears it weighs. 

That scale looks great!  I only have a super simple (cheap?) scale that hardly holds any counting bears so it was difficult to use unless we had tiny things to weigh or compare...  I appreciate the link! :)

Hello!

Through Singapore Primary math 1 we pretty much had the manipulatives on hand, mostly using c-rods, number cards, and 100 chart.  Now for 2 (we're using Standards Edition) I found I didn't have everything needed for the lessons.  If you use this curriculum, which math manipulatives are essential?

I will list what the HIG says I need here:

....fact cards (for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) - does anyone use these with SM?  Where can I find them?  I don't want to make them all.

They are easy to make, and you can even print them if you want to, though a sharpie and a pack of 3x5 cards will take you pretty far also.

If you really just want to buy them you can get math fact cards at WalMart, CVS, Walgreens, Target, DollarTree, Dollar General, Dollar Shack, Hoopers, Krogers, Publix, Eckerds (do they still have this store??) Amazon.com, Used bookstores, Books-A-Million, Teacher supply stores such as Lakeshore, and even some gas stations.

You can even have the kids make them. Its good practice.

The things I use most with SM are

white board

place value chart and the discs

100 chart

base 10

c-rods (I use both quite a lot. Base 10 are better for some things, c-rods for others. I wouldn't be without either)

Teaching clock

counters

maybe a bucket balance, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't have one. But, my sons really did enjoy doing their own 'experiments' with one.

Everything, such as the teaching clock, have their unit or season, but the base ten and c-rods get the most work. After those I would say the place value chart and the discs.