Menu

Rant - the F-word in PG13 movies

goldberry

The scary movie thread reminded me of this.  When we watched Super 8 (which we really liked) we were shocked that it had the f-word in it.  That's when I found out that PG13 movies are allowed to have the f-word in them one time.

When did this happen?  I always remembered that PG movies, incl PG13 were not allowed the f-word.  Also, what's the point really?  Why add the f-word ONE TIME?  I know in Super 8, the place it was added could have so easily been another word and it wouldn't have affected anything.  It was like they added it just because they were allowed to.

It's so disappointing to me.  I'm not a prude....I just really don't care for that language at all and hate to see an otherwise great movie with that one word stuck in there just for effect. 

We went to see Gravity this weekend.  Supposed it also had the "one allowed use of the f-word" but I didn't even hear it.  So why add it?

Why do they have to do that??   *sigh*

ok, rant over!

The scary movie thread reminded me of this. When we watched Super 8 (which we really liked) we were shocked that it had the f-word in it. That's when I found out that PG13 movies are allowed to have the f-word in them one time.

When did this happen? I always remembered that PG movies, incl PG13 were not allowed the f-word. Also, what's the point really? Why add the f-word ONE TIME? I know in Super 8, the place it was added could have so easily been another word and it wouldn't have affected anything. It was like they added it just because they were allowed to.

It's so disappointing to me. I'm not a prude....I just really don't care for that language at all and hate to see an otherwise great movie with that one word stuck in there just for effect.

We went to see Gravity this weekend. Supposed it also had the "one allowed use of the f-word" but I didn't even hear it. So why add it?

Why do they have to do that?? *sigh*

ok, rant over!

That is so funny that you mentioned that!

I just looked up Premium Rush which is pg13 and it has 1use of f-word.

I hear you :bigear: . My sister's 4 y/old picks up every interesting word he hears now. The word of the day yesterday...was the D word. He said it, sang it, and then sang about not being able to say or sing it. :blink:

Oh, douche? LOL

Just kidding...I told my mom when I was that age that I wanted a douche bc it was so cool and refreshing. I'm sure I saw a summer's eve commercial.

I think the word is allowed so that the listeners, especially the young listeners, will get used to the word and will become part of their normal, everyday vocabulary. They will grow up with those words as being normal, not crude, vulgur, or impolite. It will never be a "naughty" word for them.

We went to see Gravity this weekend.  Supposed it also had the "one allowed use of the f-word" but I didn't even hear it.  So why add it?

The probability of my uttering the "f-word" were I in that situation is 100%. 

The rule is arbitrary and stupid. The King's Speech get an "R" rating for its use of the "f-word"? Please!

We had the same problem with Warm Bodies. Such a cute movie, and nothing wrong with it at all...except one very random use of the f-word towards the end if the movie. It was so jarring when it was used because it was so out of place from the rest of the movie. My therory is that the movie makers put it in to force the PG13 rating--because of course, cool kids would not pay to see a PG movie <sarcasam>.

Guest inoubliable

Back in the 70's and 80's before they had PG13 some of those PG movies were terrible(think Goonies :huh: )

What's wrong with Goonies?  :confused1:

I've read that there are times the word is added so that they can boost the rating and appeal to an older demographic. It happens with movies so otherwise 'respectable' movies can get an R rating as well.  I think it is, in part, motivated by sales rather than any artistic decision on the part of the director.

They add it because they can.  I see nothing wrong with it as long as you teach kids that profanity is inappropriate.  I personally don't think it is inappropriate all the time.  Its a way of expressing yourself.  Now the way in which you use the words is where I have a problem.  using the f word when referring to teA is inappropriate in my mind.  But using it as in what the f** doesn't bother me one bit for an adult.  I wouldn't allow my children to say it but I'm not going to limit what they watch because of a few curse words

Personally, I'd be fine w/ *more* bad language if it meant *much less* violence in PG-13 movies. I'm always appalled at the amount of violence allowed in PG-13 movies. Imo, of course.

I agree. The f-word doesn't bother me. My six-year old uses the f-word, but I wouldn't let him watch a PG-13 movie. I have no use for the violence, bad attitudes, and general disrespect in a lot of movies/tv. I could not care less about occasional and judicious use of the f-word as long as my child grows up caring and respectful of others. That matters a lot more to me than a word. (and yes, I realize not using what others may consider profane in company is part of being respectful. So does my six-year old.)

I grew up with the Goonies and I'm not traumatized for life by it, if it makes you feel better.  I totally forgot there was even cussing in it until this thread and we watch it a lot! The ratings are definitely different from when I was younger vs. now.  Personally, I think everything should be previewed if you're worried about sex/violence/language in what your kids watch.  It's not always possible, but a good idea.  I let my kids watch a lot of PG-13 shows, but some PG shows we do not watch because I have a problem with them. 

I grew up with the Goonies and I'm not traumatized for life by it, if it makes you feel better.  I totally forgot there was even cussing in it until this thread and we watch it a lot! The ratings are definitely different from when I was younger vs. now.  Personally, I think everything should be previewed if you're worried about sex/violence/language in what your kids watch.  It's not always possible, but a good idea.  I let my kids watch a lot of PG-13 shows, but some PG shows we do not watch because I have a problem with them.

I didn't say anyone was traumatized for life. I just said it had a ton of swearing for a PG movie. ;) I'm not exaggerating it really does, especially in the house scene at the beginning. lol

I think the word is allowed so that the listeners, especially the young listeners, will get used to the word and will become part of their normal, everyday vocabulary. They will grow up with those words as being normal, not crude, vulgur, or impolite. It will never be a "naughty" word for them.

So you think it's intentional grooming on the part of the film-makers for some purpose?  Rather than a reflection of what 13yos hear in the playground?

L

I didn't say anyone was traumatized for life. I just said it had a ton of swearing for a PG movie. ;) I'm not exaggerating it really does, especially in the house scene at the beginning. lol

I just never noticed. I'm a die hard Goonies fan.  But then I was raised that cussing only is bad in that they are just words and some people use them with the power to hurt.  I don't mind cussing, but CPS does, so I don't let my kids cuss and I try to keep from cussing around them (long story).  I didn't mean you were traumatized, just letting you know that it's probably fine.  It's funny how underrated a lot of 80s and early 90s movies are!!!  A lot more was acceptable back then than you see in movies nowadays.  Kids smoking?  No biggie.  Cussing? Normal.  lol

I'm kind of wondering what the appeal of making profanity normal and not "naughty" is. I mean, who has time to actually expend energy on that as an agenda? Who benefits? I'm not trying to be a jerk, it just doesn't make sense. As my previous post probably implies, I'm pretty neutral on profanity. 

And not to totally derail the OP's thread, but you know what programming I would rather not expose my child to? That darn PBS show Arthur. I would much rather my child drop the f-bomb that act like that snotty, whiny, stuck-up brat D.W.

Guest inoubliable

I grew up with the Goonies and I'm not traumatized for life by it, if it makes you feel better.  I totally forgot there was even cussing in it until this thread and we watch it a lot!  This. We just watched it last week and I didn't remember any swearing in it. Definitely not words that register with me, I guess. The ratings are definitely different from when I was younger vs. now.  Personally, I think everything should be previewed if you're worried about sex/violence/language in what your kids watch.  It's not always possible, but a good idea.  Agree, agree, agree. Don't depend on ratings. I let my kids watch a lot of PG-13 shows, but some PG shows we do not watch because I have a problem with them. 

I just never noticed. I'm a die hard Goonies fan.  But then I was raised that cussing only is bad in that they are just words and some people use them with the power to hurt.  I don't mind cussing, but CPS does, so I don't let my kids cuss and I try to keep from cussing around them (long story).  I didn't mean you were traumatized, just letting you know that it's probably fine.  It's funny how underrated a lot of 80s and early 90s movies are!!!  A lot more was acceptable back then than you see in movies nowadays.  Kids smoking?  No biggie.  Cussing? Normal.  lol

I know I always find it funny when people talk about how bad kids movies are now. In my mind I'm thinking were you alive in the 80's? hehe

I know I always find it funny when people talk about how bad kids movies are now. In my mind I'm thinking were you alive in the 80's? hehe

The rape played for laughs in 16 Candles anyone? And don't get me started on Grease.

In E.T., rated PG, one boy calls his brother "penis breath".  Way more of a "whoa" moment than the f-word.  But it wasn't for shock value, it was just  good writing.  Fiction is supposed to reflect life.  Boys say AWFUL things to their brothers.

I think Super 8 was a pretty good at depicting boys that age. 

In E.T., rated PG, one boy calls his brother "penis breath".  Way more of a "whoa" moment than the f-word.  But it wasn't for shock value, it was just  good writing.  Fiction is supposed to reflect life.  Boys say AWFUL things to their brothers.

I agree. Spielberg changed the line in the last DVD re-release and CGIed out the agents' guns, though he claims to regret it now.

The rape played for laughs in 16 Candles anyone? And don't get me started on Grease.

O.M.G.  I just recently watched 16 Candles again thinking about showing it to DD.  I was appalled at that part!  I didn't remember that from watching it long ago, obviously it didn't even impact me.  And the way the characters talk about her...

Uh, no, DD won't be watching that one.

I think I'm with WagsWife about the use of the f-word being "jarring".  We don't use that language, and we aren't around others who use that language.  (I am while at a PT job, but not DD ever).  So it comes across as very jarring.  I do agree the violence is a problem as well though.

It just makes me mad when they throw it in randomly.

I know!  In fact, I was just looking up movies for our road trip, and one article suggested The Great Outdoors, and said "This movie is PG, but remember, that's 1988 PG".

I teach my children that there are different registers of language that we use in particular situations.  We rarely swear, because it doesn't (for us) fit the register of family and polite conversation.  If we swear, it's because we are moving into a different register: extreme pain or distress.  I don't teach that swearing is evil, but that there are appropriate and inappropriate times for it.  If my 13yo was in great pain, swearing might bring relief.  I wouldn't deny him that.

As for swearing in films: if that is the natural form of expression for the character, then I don't have a problem with it, within reason.

ETA: I'm much more concerned about violence in films than swearing.

L

I'm actually amazed at how our society accepts certain words that are inappropriate and want to pretend there is nothing wrong with them.  Then again, I'm amazed at how our society in general has no issue with young children watching graphic and violent movies, etc.  There is a reason there is a rating on the movies.  I think it is unfair to children these days to be made into little adults way before they are close to actually being adults.  Sorry, but yes, I think children have a right to be sheltered from bad things when they are young.  Being an adult is hard enough when you are over 18.  Why put that kind of responsibility and pressure on a young child?

So you think it's intentional grooming on the part of the film-makers for some purpose?  Rather than a reflection of what 13yos hear in the playground?

L

I always prefer linking to primary source articles, and I have read several in the past, acknowledging the manipulation of movie ratings for distribution purposes, but at present - sitting in a cold ice rink with minimal bandwidth limiting my search capacities, I can, at the moment, find the one listed below. It certainly isn't a definitive source, but it expresses my point.:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AvoidTheDreadedGRating

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fifteening

edit to correct link

I always prefer linking to primary source articles, and I have read several in the past, acknowledging the manipulation of movie ratings for distribution purposes, but at present - sitting in a cold ice rink with minimal bandwidth limiting my search capacities, I can, at the moment, find the one listed below. It certainly isn't a definitive source, but it expresses my point.:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AvoidTheDreadedGRating

That motivation I understand.  Thanks.

L

I know! In fact, I was just looking up movies for our road trip, and one article suggested The Great Outdoors, and said "This movie is PG, but remember, that's 1988 PG".

I LOVE the Great Outdoors! That is the funniest movie. I completely agree that you have to remember it is 1988 PG, LOL.

I remember watching it with my parents and grandmother. My grandmother laughed so hard, she fell of the couch! Another time, it came on tv, so all the bad words were changed. We laughed harder at the changes than at the funny parts of the movie. I'll never forget the scene where everyone is in the livingroom fighting, and someone tells another to blow it out their a**, but the voice over said "kazoo". Then, there was a bunch of "blow it out your kazoo!" Oh man, it was so funny.

Personally, I can't stand profanity, especially the f-word. There are lots of words that society has deemed inappropriate, and I wish that one would go back on the list. But, that's just me. :)

The geek had sex with Jake's GF when she was passed out, or at least too drunk to know he was not Jake. Either way, it was without consent.

I can't remember either, and now I'm afraid to watch and find out for myself!

I am assuming they are talking about the end of the movie when Anthony Michael Hall's character wakes up in the back of the car with Caroline.  She asks if "they did it" because she can't remember...and he confirms that they did.  I never thought about that scene when I was a teenager...did not even register.  I watched the movie a couple of months ago, and cringed--and the fact that Jake encouraged AMH's character to take advantage of her while she was out of it.