Menu

Rec. a really cool bday gift for a freshman in college?

Alicia64

My God daughter is turning 18 and is a freshman at George Washington Univ. We're so proud of her! Anyway, I'd love to give her something more than just cash for her birthday although I'm assuming she'd love that.

I'd love to give her a special necklace in the shape of Washington DC but they don't seem to make them.

I'd love to give her any kind of cool DC gift -- she comes from CA and it's really special for her to be out on the East Coast.

Any great suggestions? Price wise I'm thinking $50 to $125 kind of thing. Although DH might not want it to go quite that high! :)

Thanks!

Alley

If she doesn't already have one, a school sweatshirt would be a great gift. They're usually a bit pricey for students so getting one as a gift would be awesome. That's what I'm planning to get ds1 for his bday this year. (He's also a college freshman.)

If she doesn't already have one, a school sweatshirt would be a great gift. They're usually a bit pricey for students so getting one as a gift would be awesome. That's what I'm planning to get ds1 for his bday this year. (He's also a college freshman.)

:iagree: My thought as well.  Many people wear their college sweatshirts well after college and they are iconic in our culture.  It is a great gift for a Freshman. 

Another smaller gift would be a key chain or lanyard from the school. 

I remember in college that students pretty much only got the sweatshirts if their parents bought them, so that's a great idea.

I don't know much about the D.C. Area, but do the tourist attractions typically charge admission? Assuming so, possibly passes so that she could see the city. The other gift I loved in college was anything food-related. I'm sure there are restaurants or coffee shops where the students tend to hang out. If she's like most students and spending money is limited, a gift card to a local hangout to allow her to spend time there with new friends would probably be appreciated.