Menu

CAP Writing & Rhetoric - Trouble with rewriting the fable

abrightmom

Wrapping up our 1st week with W&R for the 9yo. Today we worked on the re-write of the fable. It was a crash and burn. Here's where I see the trouble and what I think I might do to fix it. This will probably only make sense if you've done the first lesson and know the story and assignment. 

Okay, I just tried to write out the "trouble I see" and kept deleting it. Hmmmmmm.

I think that he thinks he has to come up with a brand new story although I beat the "rewrite" idea to death. I even did my own rewrite to show him an example. His sentences are convoluted, long, and too detailed. He takes a loooooooong time to explain something (i.e. too many details to set up the basic scene in the first paragraph). I sat at the computer and asked him to simply tell me the rewrite and I could type it for him. That way he does the thinking and isn't bogged down by the writing. It didn't end well and I told him we'd put writing away today and revisit this assignment tomorrow.  :coolgleamA:

I am not quitting this writing assignment as I think it's good for him. He may benefit from alternating W&R and WWE (more cut and dry for him). 

In order to be successful with this assignment I *could*:

1. Try the re-write again tomorrow but help him brainstorm the specific details of the story. 

2. Create a fill in the blank story for him by re-typing the Lion and the Mouse, leaving out sections he can fill in with new characters, the trap, and descriptive details.

3. Stop using W&R because it's a horrible fit for him.  :lol:  Honestly, I don't think ONE assignment is enough to make any judgments but we did NOT have the lovely success others have.

ETA: In using IEW, he does an awesome job re-writing a paragraph with a KWO. Perhaps rewriting a fable is a tad too free form for him. He is also insecure and that doesn't help! 

FWIW, I tried this with my dd7 and had the exact same experience . . . she did great on the whole lesson up till the rewrite, but did the rewrite just as you describe your son's.  I decided I was trying this too soon and put it away for a few months. . . but I'll be listening to the suggestions you get!

It sounds like he'll do really well with the amplification sections in later lessons! :lol:

Sorry, I can't help you with your actual problem. My son is more likely to copy the existing story, just replacing the words as necessary. He's trying to think and write as little as possible. :tongue_smilie: So I'm somewhat envious that your son wants to write more. I'd actually be ok with embellishing the story, as long as he is rewriting the basic idea.

If the story is too unwieldy, maybe help him outline his ideas on the white board and write from that? I'm thinking something along the lines of an IEW-style keyword outline. Maybe outline the original fable, then write an outline next to that with the replacement info.

I had the opposite trouble with my 8yo. Did great with the rewrites (we do a lot of WWE), but when it came to the amplification, not so good! He did not think it was "fun" and it was like pulling teeth to come up with creative details, even with lots of help. We tried two different amp lessons and decided to shelve the program for the time being. I still think it's a great program. I hope to bring it back later this year.

I'd let him write it as is and set it aside for a day. Then sit down with him and point out the run-on sentences and ask how he could fix them. If needed spend yet another day making a final draft.

Then try lesson two. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Okay ya'll .... 

Thanks for the great suggestions! We'll hit it tomorrow and I'm going to basically "try again" by having him dictate to me while I type. I'll be applying some of the recommendations here and will report back in. 

Rose, 

My daughter is 7.5 and isn't CLOSE to being ready for W&R.  :coolgleamA:  My son is 9.5 and should be able to handle this. I do NOT think it's too much for him; it's just a new "skill" and he balks at much of his school work. His biggest obstacle is usually attitude  :nopity: .